Midwest Cities

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
KSUndecided

Midwest Cities

Postby KSUndecided » Tue Nov 19, 2013 9:52 am

I am looking at staying in the Midwest after graduation, and was wondering what schools have ties to or strong alumni bases in mid-major cities in the Midwest (Kansas City, St. Louis, Omaha, etc.). Does anyone have any information on this or know of a website that I can take a look at? Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks!

jingosaur

Re: Midwest Cities

Postby jingosaur » Tue Nov 19, 2013 10:33 am

KSUndecided wrote:I am looking at staying in the Midwest after graduation, and was wondering what schools have ties to or strong alumni bases in mid-major cities in the Midwest (Kansas City, St. Louis, Omaha, etc.). Does anyone have any information on this or know of a website that I can take a look at? Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks!

lawschooltransparency.com

Basically, you want to go to a T14 or a strong public school in the area that you want to practice. Washington U in St. Louis is also pretty good for the midwest. There are people on this site who know a lot more on this topic than me, but browsing through LST (link above) is a good start.

Re: Midwest Cities

Postby 2014 » Sat Nov 23, 2013 4:32 pm

Most firms in Midwest cities are half or more filled with local kids, with the remaining spots being split between T14s and regional T30s and an occasional odd ball who probably had connections or some niche resume.

So for example a firm in KC hiring 12 summers is probably going to have 1 Washburn, 2 KU, 2 UMKC, 2 Missou, 3 WUSTL/ND/Indiana/Iowa/etc, 2 T14.

A STL firm is going to replace Washburn/KU/UMKC with more from WUSTL, SLU, Missou, and Illinois. Omaha w/ Creighton or Nebraska or w/e.

So for any given market, your odds are frankly better at the local TTT, but the problems are 1. you need to be in the top several students in your class, and 2. you have zero backup options if you fail to secure one of those firms. The localish T30s open up more markets, but cost more and still offer little insulation below the top like 20%. This leaves the T14, which is broadly competing for few remaining slots and is dealing with a stigma from recruiters that you are going to abandon ship for NY/Chicago/DC, but at least you can probably be closer to median and more importantly if/when the Midwest doesn't work out, you have NY/Chicago/DC/etc as a viable OCI market.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”