Where to apply if interested in Health Law

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
Pdwyer09

Where to apply if interested in Health Law

Postby Pdwyer09 » Mon Nov 18, 2013 2:40 pm

Hey all, I'm in my final year of UG planning to go to law school. I currently have a 3.8 GPA and an LSAT of 161. However, my PT average under real conditions was 166-169 and I did 20 or so PTs (definitely did not have a good test day for a number of reasons). I did not at any point achieve a score greater than 169. After receiving my score, I decided to retake. I hadn't looked at LSAT material at all in the past three weeks and decided to just take a practice test under real conditions to see how much work I had to do and I pulled a 177. I think I may have been over studying and my brain just needed a bit of time away from it all to organize it. Regardless, I am expecting I will score in the high 160 range the second time around simply because I think it is prudent to do so.

That being said, I am very much in fear of all the talk of the struggles of law school grads in finding jobs and coming out with a mountain of debt. I would really like to go into health law and I'm basically wondering if specialty rankings matter much at all? And moreover, whether or not I would be better off going to any school that gives me serious money rather as opposed to the best school I can get into.

Since my school will be on break from Dec.15 to Jan.15; I want to get my list of schools being applied to out of the way ahead of time because I don't want to be waiting an extra couple of weeks for letters of recommendation being sent in those cases in which schools accept more than the two posted through LSAC. My basic plan was to apply to the highest ranked schools that I could get into and plenty of them. Since I have researched through LSN and other sites, the schools that give out bigger money and I am leaning towards them.

So to reiterate, I'm just trying to get a feel for how helpful being higher in health law specialty rankings is because I remember reading previously that the specialty rankings were pointless. If so, can I come out of any law school and go into health law because school websites seem to list areas they specialize in. Is it of any relevance that health law is not present on these lists. For example, could I attend (bearing acceptance) a school like WUSTL and then go into health law upon graduation?

Apologies for the length and any redundancy. Any help is greatly appreciated

Nova

Re: Where to apply if interested in Health Law

Postby Nova » Mon Nov 18, 2013 2:54 pm

health law specialty rankings

Theyre a flame. Ignore them

Can I come out of any law school and go into health law[?]

Yes

arklaw13

Postby arklaw13 » Mon Nov 18, 2013 3:17 pm

Yale.

badaboom61

Postby badaboom61 » Mon Nov 18, 2013 3:27 pm

The best (only?) way to break in to "health law" will be to get a job as an associate with a law firm that has "health" clients. To do this, go to the school with most likely probability of getting you a law firm job, which is probably the best school you can get in to.

Bildungsroman

Postby Bildungsroman » Mon Nov 18, 2013 3:30 pm

Please give a succinct account of what the practice of "health law" is.

thedive

Postby thedive » Tue Nov 19, 2013 2:48 am

Bildungsroman wrote:Please give a succinct account of what the practice of "health law" is.

Traveling from state to state while your overturn numerous statutory caps on non-economic damages. If you run into a state without a cap, just take in the $$$.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”