Post removed.

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
User avatar
2014
Posts: 5834
Joined: Sat Jun 05, 2010 3:53 pm

Re: Schools' Preftige?

Postby 2014 » Wed Nov 20, 2013 12:50 am

We haven't talked about UChi in like 12 posts. Obligatory mention

20141023
Posts: 3072
Joined: Mon Jun 18, 2012 12:17 am

Re: Schools' Preftige?

Postby 20141023 » Wed Nov 20, 2013 3:36 am

.
Last edited by 20141023 on Sun Feb 15, 2015 9:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
jingosaur
Posts: 2224
Joined: Fri Jan 04, 2013 10:33 am

Re: Schools' Preftige?

Postby jingosaur » Wed Nov 20, 2013 12:21 pm

I would definitely say Harvard Law is the more preftigious brand name due to its large size and the popularity of Suits and Legally Blonde. A friend of mine told me that he'd rather go to Harvard Law than Yale Law because some firms only recruit from Harvard Law and he gave the law firm from Suits as an example. I've also noticed that people put a HUGE premium on the Ivy League status. When people ask me what the lowest ranked school that I'm applying to is and I say Cornell, I normally get a response like "you're not applying to NYU/UVA/Michigan/Northwestern?". People tend to cut Stanford some slack in the "not Ive League" preftige penalty, but I think that's because a lot of my friends are gunning for MBA programs and Stanford GSB has like a 6% acceptance rate.

User avatar
Cicero76
Posts: 1276
Joined: Mon Aug 13, 2012 9:41 pm

Re: Schools' Preftige?

Postby Cicero76 » Wed Nov 20, 2013 1:47 pm

jingosaur wrote:I would definitely say Harvard Law is the more preftigious brand name due to its large size and the popularity of Suits and Legally Blonde. A friend of mine told me that he'd rather go to Harvard Law than Yale Law because some firms only recruit from Harvard Law and he gave the law firm from Suits as an example. I've also noticed that people put a HUGE premium on the Ivy League status. When people ask me what the lowest ranked school that I'm applying to is and I say Cornell, I normally get a response like "you're not applying to NYU/UVA/Michigan/Northwestern?". People tend to cut Stanford some slack in the "not Ive League" preftige penalty, but I think that's because a lot of my friends are gunning for MBA programs and Stanford GSB has like a 6% acceptance rate.



Lol lol lol lol this is so true. So true and so strange. I believe anything on TV

User avatar
Amity
Posts: 72
Joined: Sun Aug 25, 2013 1:36 am

Re: Schools' Preftige?

Postby Amity » Wed Nov 20, 2013 2:43 pm

jbagelboy wrote: Business Insider magazine "Best Law Schools" rankings came out last month.....

What struck me the most is that the tuition from LS #1 to #50 is nearly identical (with a couple exceptions). This like saying you can buy a Mercedes for $× or a Ford for the same $×. Seriously. :?

20141023
Posts: 3072
Joined: Mon Jun 18, 2012 12:17 am

Re: Schools' Preftige?

Postby 20141023 » Wed Nov 20, 2013 4:52 pm

.
Last edited by 20141023 on Sun Feb 15, 2015 9:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

EvMont
Posts: 285
Joined: Tue Aug 20, 2013 8:21 pm

Re: Schools' Preftige?

Postby EvMont » Wed Nov 20, 2013 5:18 pm

kappycaft1 wrote:
Cicero76 wrote:
jingosaur wrote:I would definitely say Harvard Law is the more preftigious brand name due to its large size and the popularity of Suits and Legally Blonde. A friend of mine told me that he'd rather go to Harvard Law than Yale Law because some firms only recruit from Harvard Law and he gave the law firm from Suits as an example. I've also noticed that people put a HUGE premium on the Ivy League status. When people ask me what the lowest ranked school that I'm applying to is and I say Cornell, I normally get a response like "you're not applying to NYU/UVA/Michigan/Northwestern?". People tend to cut Stanford some slack in the "not Ive League" preftige penalty, but I think that's because a lot of my friends are gunning for MBA programs and Stanford GSB has like a 6% acceptance rate.

Lol lol lol lol this is so true. So true and so strange. I believe anything on TV

I've had some hiring partners inform me that they'd rather hire graduates from Howard University than grads from Yale just because "Howard" kind of sounds like "Harvard." Sounds like you picked the wrong school, Cicero. :(

:shock: :shock: :shock:

californiauser
Posts: 1184
Joined: Sun Jul 01, 2012 1:10 am

Re: Schools' Preftige?

Postby californiauser » Wed Nov 20, 2013 5:24 pm

kappycaft1 wrote:
Cicero76 wrote:
jingosaur wrote:I would definitely say Harvard Law is the more preftigious brand name due to its large size and the popularity of Suits and Legally Blonde. A friend of mine told me that he'd rather go to Harvard Law than Yale Law because some firms only recruit from Harvard Law and he gave the law firm from Suits as an example. I've also noticed that people put a HUGE premium on the Ivy League status. When people ask me what the lowest ranked school that I'm applying to is and I say Cornell, I normally get a response like "you're not applying to NYU/UVA/Michigan/Northwestern?". People tend to cut Stanford some slack in the "not Ive League" preftige penalty, but I think that's because a lot of my friends are gunning for MBA programs and Stanford GSB has like a 6% acceptance rate.

Lol lol lol lol this is so true. So true and so strange. I believe anything on TV

I've had some hiring partners inform me that they'd rather hire graduates from Howard University than grads from Yale just because "Howard" kind of sounds like "Harvard." Sounds like you picked the wrong school, Cicero. :(


Do they recruit from Samford Law, too?

User avatar
AntipodeanPhil
Posts: 1300
Joined: Fri Apr 08, 2011 7:02 pm

Re: Schools' Preftige?

Postby AntipodeanPhil » Wed Nov 20, 2013 5:31 pm

kappycaft1 wrote:I've had some hiring partners inform me that they'd rather hire graduates from Howard University than grads from Yale just because "Howard" kind of sounds like "Harvard." Sounds like you picked the wrong school, Cicero. :(

Yeah, if I didn't get into a t14 my backup plan was always to attend Samford's law school and then move to California. Nobody's heard of Samford out there. Trouble is, you still have to mumble a little when you say it.

Alternatively, I've heard there are plentiful jobs for Samford grads in Asia:

http://rendezvous.blogs.nytimes.com/201 ... tist/?_r=0
Last edited by AntipodeanPhil on Wed Nov 20, 2013 5:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Cicero76
Posts: 1276
Joined: Mon Aug 13, 2012 9:41 pm

Re: Schools' Preftige?

Postby Cicero76 » Wed Nov 20, 2013 5:35 pm

kappycaft1 wrote:
Cicero76 wrote:
jingosaur wrote:I would definitely say Harvard Law is the more preftigious brand name due to its large size and the popularity of Suits and Legally Blonde. A friend of mine told me that he'd rather go to Harvard Law than Yale Law because some firms only recruit from Harvard Law and he gave the law firm from Suits as an example. I've also noticed that people put a HUGE premium on the Ivy League status. When people ask me what the lowest ranked school that I'm applying to is and I say Cornell, I normally get a response like "you're not applying to NYU/UVA/Michigan/Northwestern?". People tend to cut Stanford some slack in the "not Ive League" preftige penalty, but I think that's because a lot of my friends are gunning for MBA programs and Stanford GSB has like a 6% acceptance rate.

Lol lol lol lol this is so true. So true and so strange. I believe anything on TV

I've had some hiring partners inform me that they'd rather hire graduates from Howard University than grads from Yale just because "Howard" kind of sounds like "Harvard." Sounds like you picked the wrong school, Cicero. :(


I've made so many mistakes in my life.

User avatar
jingosaur
Posts: 2224
Joined: Fri Jan 04, 2013 10:33 am

Re: Schools' Preftige?

Postby jingosaur » Wed Nov 20, 2013 5:38 pm

Cicero76 wrote:I've made so many mistakes in my life.


At least you can be a hipster with your LS decision:
"Yeah, Yale Law. It's kind of a big deal in some circles. You probably haven't heard of it."

User avatar
Cicero76
Posts: 1276
Joined: Mon Aug 13, 2012 9:41 pm

Re: Schools' Preftige?

Postby Cicero76 » Wed Nov 20, 2013 6:08 pm

jingosaur wrote:
Cicero76 wrote:I've made so many mistakes in my life.


At least you can be a hipster with your LS decision:
"Yeah, Yale Law. It's kind of a big deal in some circles. You probably haven't heard of it."


You're an actual genius. I'm gunna go buy hipster clothing now

eph
Posts: 144
Joined: Tue Sep 25, 2012 12:21 pm

Re: Schools' Preftige?

Postby eph » Wed Nov 20, 2013 10:59 pm

http://www.greenwichtime.com/news/artic ... 997270.php

Looks like a nice addition, to that unknown school.

20141023
Posts: 3072
Joined: Mon Jun 18, 2012 12:17 am

Re: Schools' Preftige?

Postby 20141023 » Thu Nov 21, 2013 3:43 am

.
Last edited by 20141023 on Sun Feb 15, 2015 9:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

cebuboy
Posts: 11
Joined: Tue May 15, 2012 4:05 am

Re: Schools' Preftige?

Postby cebuboy » Sat Nov 23, 2013 10:29 pm

I grew up in Florida but I'm currently in abroad, and here's what I think:


1. Harvard
2. Yale
3. Stanford
4. Berkeley
5. Columbia
6. Penn
7. Duke
8. Chicago
9. NYU
10. Georgetown
11/12. Rice/Texas-Austin
13.Northwestern
14. Virginia

californiauser
Posts: 1184
Joined: Sun Jul 01, 2012 1:10 am

Re: Schools' Preftige?

Postby californiauser » Sun Nov 24, 2013 1:12 am

cebuboy wrote:I grew up in Florida but I'm currently in abroad, and here's what I think:


1. Harvard
2. Yale
3. Stanford
4. Berkeley
5. Columbia
6. Penn
7. Duke
8. Chicago
9. NYU
10. Georgetown
11/12. Rice/Texas-Austin
13.Northwestern
14. Virginia


Berkeley undergrad? There isn't a locale on Earth where Berkeley has more lay prestige than Columbia.

Rice over Cornell?...interesting.

User avatar
banjo
Posts: 1345
Joined: Wed Nov 30, 2011 8:00 pm

Re: Schools' Preftige?

Postby banjo » Sun Nov 24, 2013 4:09 am

Just to add to the pile of worthless metrics, here's the form of question that okcupid asks every user:

Do you have (or are you getting) a degree from one of the 8 ivy league universities, MIT, Stanford, Duke, U Chicago, or Caltech?


I googled around to see if similar sites ask this question, but couldn't find any.

User avatar
2014
Posts: 5834
Joined: Sat Jun 05, 2010 3:53 pm

Re: Schools' Preftige?

Postby 2014 » Sun Nov 24, 2013 4:15 am

cebuboy wrote:I grew up in Florida but I'm currently in abroad, and here's what I think:


1. Harvard
2. Yale
3. Stanford
4. Berkeley
5. Columbia
6. Penn
7. Duke
8. Chicago
9. NYU
10. Georgetown
11/12. Rice/Texas-Austin
13.Northwestern
14. Virginia

Chicago is going in the right direction on this list, we are getting somewhere

User avatar
Cicero76
Posts: 1276
Joined: Mon Aug 13, 2012 9:41 pm

Re: Schools' Preftige?

Postby Cicero76 » Sun Nov 24, 2013 11:22 am

banjo wrote:Just to add to the pile of worthless metrics, here's the form of question that okcupid asks every user:

Do you have (or are you getting) a degree from one of the 8 ivy league universities, MIT, Stanford, Duke, U Chicago, or Caltech?


I googled around to see if similar sites ask this question, but couldn't find any.


Lol lol lol lol so fantastic

User avatar
AntipodeanPhil
Posts: 1300
Joined: Fri Apr 08, 2011 7:02 pm

Re: Schools' Preftige?

Postby AntipodeanPhil » Sun Nov 24, 2013 3:37 pm

I, for one, would like to endorse the new OkCupid college rankings.

californiauser wrote:Berkeley undergrad? There isn't a locale on Earth where Berkeley has more lay prestige than Columbia.

Except all of Asia, where some people have heard of Berkeley and almost no one has heard of Columbia. The Gallup poll also puts Berkeley above Columbia on the West Coast.

User avatar
stillwater
Posts: 3811
Joined: Tue Jun 28, 2011 2:59 pm

Re: Schools' Preftige?

Postby stillwater » Sun Nov 24, 2013 3:39 pm

AntipodeanPhil wrote:I, for one, would like to endorse the new OkCupid college rankings.

californiauser wrote:Berkeley undergrad? There isn't a locale on Earth where Berkeley has more lay prestige than Columbia.

Except all of Asia, where some people have heard of Berkeley and almost no one has heard of Columbia. The Gallup poll also puts Berkeley above Columbia on the West Coast.


both of these schools are legit not prestigious, at all. also LOL at any west coast institution being prestigious.

User avatar
jbagelboy
Posts: 9651
Joined: Thu Nov 29, 2012 7:57 pm

Re: Schools' Preftige?

Postby jbagelboy » Sun Nov 24, 2013 4:31 pm

stillwater wrote:
AntipodeanPhil wrote:I, for one, would like to endorse the new OkCupid college rankings.

californiauser wrote:Berkeley undergrad? There isn't a locale on Earth where Berkeley has more lay prestige than Columbia.

Except all of Asia, where some people have heard of Berkeley and almost no one has heard of Columbia. The Gallup poll also puts Berkeley above Columbia on the West Coast.


both of these schools are legit not prestigious, at all. also LOL at any west coast institution being prestigious.


This is a pretty ridiculous attitude. You must have a very inflated impression of new england. Both Berkeley and Columbia are "prestigious". Some of the Claremont schools and Stanford on the west coast are prestigious as well.
Last edited by jbagelboy on Sun Nov 24, 2013 9:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
jbagelboy
Posts: 9651
Joined: Thu Nov 29, 2012 7:57 pm

Re: Schools' Preftige?

Postby jbagelboy » Sun Nov 24, 2013 4:33 pm

AntipodeanPhil wrote:I, for one, would like to endorse the new OkCupid college rankings.

californiauser wrote:Berkeley undergrad? There isn't a locale on Earth where Berkeley has more lay prestige than Columbia.

Except all of Asia, where some people have heard of Berkeley and almost no one has heard of Columbia. The Gallup poll also puts Berkeley above Columbia on the West Coast.


In China, UCLA and Cal carry inflated name weight, but as soon as these families cross the ocean and settle in the states, they're gunning for their kids to get that pedigree with the UC system as safeties.

20141023
Posts: 3072
Joined: Mon Jun 18, 2012 12:17 am

Re: Schools' Preftige?

Postby 20141023 » Sun Nov 24, 2013 7:20 pm

.
Last edited by 20141023 on Sun Feb 15, 2015 9:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
stillwater
Posts: 3811
Joined: Tue Jun 28, 2011 2:59 pm

Re: Schools' Preftige?

Postby stillwater » Sun Nov 24, 2013 8:05 pm

kappycaft1 wrote:
AntipodeanPhil wrote:I, for one, would like to endorse the new OkCupid college rankings.
californiauser wrote:Berkeley undergrad? There isn't a locale on Earth where Berkeley has more lay prestige than Columbia.

Except all of Asia, where some people have heard of Berkeley and almost no one has heard of Columbia. The Gallup poll also puts Berkeley above Columbia on the West Coast.

In Japan this is definitely not true; over there it is Harvard > Columbia > Stanford; Berkeley is viewed as a place where kids go who weren't smart enough to get into a private college (I'm talking in general, not about law schools). MIT also gets some recognition, but places like Yale and Princeton are generally not known by laymen.


this is outrageously false (if we are still talking about Japan).




Return to “Choosing a Law School”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google Adsense [Bot] and 4 guests