UVA vs Duke for IP Law

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
User avatar
SplitMyPants
Posts: 1393
Joined: Wed Oct 09, 2013 9:22 pm

UVA vs Duke for IP Law

Postby SplitMyPants » Wed Nov 13, 2013 4:29 pm

I haven't found much via searching on this specific topic. I'm interested in these two schools b/c of their job placement in the South, to which I have ties. I know that UVA will garner more support on this site than Duke will. However, looking at their sites for each schools' IP program it seems that Duke has more going on in the IP area. Yes, UVA has two patent and licensing clinics (http://innovation.virginia.edu/employment/clinic). Duke, on the other hand, has Prof. Boyle leading the Center for the Public Domain (http://web.law.duke.edu/cspd/), the Center for Innovation Policy (http://law.duke.edu/innovationpolicy), a Start-Up Venture Clinic (http://law.duke.edu/startupventures/), and a more entrepreneurial/start-up oriented IP curriculum.

Given my interest in IP, how much of a difference will things like this make in my overall law school and job search experience? I know its been reiterated everywhere that USNWR specialty rankings are worthless b/c of their methodology (peer reviews). However, certainly looking into school-specific centers, clinics, and curricula should play a factor in my decision, right?

User avatar
jkpolk
Posts: 895
Joined: Thu Nov 10, 2011 10:44 am

Re: UVA vs Duke for IP Law

Postby jkpolk » Wed Nov 13, 2013 4:36 pm

SplitMyPants wrote:However, certainly looking into school-specific centers, clinics, and curricula should play a factor in my decision, right?


It's like choosing to live in a state based on who the state's attorney general is

User avatar
SplitMyPants
Posts: 1393
Joined: Wed Oct 09, 2013 9:22 pm

Re: UVA vs Duke for IP Law

Postby SplitMyPants » Wed Nov 13, 2013 4:51 pm

polkij333 wrote:
SplitMyPants wrote:However, certainly looking into school-specific centers, clinics, and curricula should play a factor in my decision, right?


It's like choosing to live in a state based on who the state's attorney general is


So, would you say I should consider my focus in IP much at all when choosing a law school, or focus on more important factors like placement data in my region, campus visit, etc?

User avatar
worldwithoutend
Posts: 67
Joined: Wed Aug 26, 2009 3:56 pm

Re: UVA vs Duke for IP Law

Postby worldwithoutend » Wed Nov 13, 2013 5:10 pm

SplitMyPants wrote:I haven't found much via searching on this specific topic. I'm interested in these two schools b/c of their job placement in the South, to which I have ties. I know that UVA will garner more support on this site than Duke will. However, looking at their sites for each schools' IP program it seems that Duke has more going on in the IP area. Yes, UVA has two patent and licensing clinics (http://innovation.virginia.edu/employment/clinic). Duke, on the other hand, has Prof. Boyle leading the Center for the Public Domain (http://web.law.duke.edu/cspd/), the Center for Innovation Policy (http://law.duke.edu/innovationpolicy), a Start-Up Venture Clinic (http://law.duke.edu/startupventures/), and a more entrepreneurial/start-up oriented IP curriculum.

Given my interest in IP, how much of a difference will things like this make in my overall law school and job search experience? I know its been reiterated everywhere that USNWR specialty rankings are worthless b/c of their methodology (peer reviews). However, certainly looking into school-specific centers, clinics, and curricula should play a factor in my decision, right?


Professor Boyle is the greatest. That is all I have to contribute.

User avatar
jkpolk
Posts: 895
Joined: Thu Nov 10, 2011 10:44 am

Re: UVA vs Duke for IP Law

Postby jkpolk » Wed Nov 13, 2013 5:21 pm

SplitMyPants wrote:
polkij333 wrote:
SplitMyPants wrote:However, certainly looking into school-specific centers, clinics, and curricula should play a factor in my decision, right?


It's like choosing to live in a state based on who the state's attorney general is


So, would you say I should consider my focus in IP much at all when choosing a law school, or focus on more important factors like placement data in my region, campus visit, etc?


I'd just say that law school is a means to an end. If you do things you enjoy while you're in law school- fantastic. If you learn a ton about IP law when you're a 2L/3L- more power to you. But those are both ancillary considerations behind things like jerb availability/cost and (to a lesser extent) fit/general happiness/regional considerations.

Ti Malice
Posts: 1955
Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2012 2:55 am

Re: UVA vs Duke for IP Law

Postby Ti Malice » Wed Nov 13, 2013 5:26 pm

SplitMyPants wrote:
polkij333 wrote:
SplitMyPants wrote:However, certainly looking into school-specific centers, clinics, and curricula should play a factor in my decision, right?


It's like choosing to live in a state based on who the state's attorney general is


So, would you say I should consider my focus in IP much at all when choosing a law school, or focus on more important factors like placement data in my region, campus visit, etc?


If the cost difference is significant, go with the cheaper option. If it's not, go where you think you'll be happiest. The schools are peers for job placement.

User avatar
Nelson
Posts: 2061
Joined: Thu Feb 03, 2011 12:43 am

Re: UVA vs Duke for IP Law

Postby Nelson » Wed Nov 13, 2013 7:16 pm

SplitMyPants wrote:I haven't found much via searching on this specific topic. I'm interested in these two schools b/c of their job placement in the South, to which I have ties. I know that UVA will garner more support on this site than Duke will. However, looking at their sites for each schools' IP program it seems that Duke has more going on in the IP area. Yes, UVA has two patent and licensing clinics (http://innovation.virginia.edu/employment/clinic). Duke, on the other hand, has Prof. Boyle leading the Center for the Public Domain (http://web.law.duke.edu/cspd/), the Center for Innovation Policy (http://law.duke.edu/innovationpolicy), a Start-Up Venture Clinic (http://law.duke.edu/startupventures/), and a more entrepreneurial/start-up oriented IP curriculum.

They're just marketing. You'll pick up just as much in the way of "practice skills" at any school.

User avatar
jbagelboy
Posts: 9635
Joined: Thu Nov 29, 2012 7:57 pm

Re: UVA vs Duke for IP Law

Postby jbagelboy » Thu Nov 14, 2013 2:17 am

polkij333 wrote:
SplitMyPants wrote:However, certainly looking into school-specific centers, clinics, and curricula should play a factor in my decision, right?


It's like choosing to live in a state based on who the state's attorney general is


Ironically, this is actually a relevant consideration in Virginia where you could be stuck with Ken Cuccinelli.

Applying the polkij333 "AG" test, the court rightly found for Duke.

User avatar
twenty
Posts: 3153
Joined: Wed Jan 11, 2012 1:17 pm

Re: UVA vs Duke for IP Law

Postby twenty » Thu Nov 14, 2013 3:39 am

Duke. Because dat lay prestige.

edit> also, hotter/smarter undergrads

editedit> also, winters don't suck as much.




Return to “Choosing a Law School”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: zakset and 5 guests