How many law schools did you apply to?

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

How many lawl schools did you apply to?

1-5
7%
6-10
26%
11-12
21%
13-14
17%
15-16
7%
17-18
6%
19-20
6%
21-22
5%
23-24
1%
25+
5%

Total votes: 104

iamgeorgebush

How many law schools did you apply to?

Postby iamgeorgebush » Mon Nov 11, 2013 11:53 pm

Yes, there have been other threads on this subject. But there has never been a poll! (To my knowledge.)
Last edited by iamgeorgebush on Wed Nov 13, 2013 9:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Re: How many law schools did you apply to?

Postby 062914123 » Tue Nov 12, 2013 12:25 am

Last edited by 062914123 on Thu Jul 03, 2014 5:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

chuckbass

Postby chuckbass » Tue Nov 12, 2013 12:40 am

Originally planned to apply to 14, but have since only applied to one ED and will not send any other apps hopefully.

vicpin5190

Postby vicpin5190 » Tue Nov 12, 2013 1:52 am

At this point I'm eyeing one ED, but my tentative list is at 12. I'm going to try and get some fee waivers though because right now I can only afford like...5....

NYC2012

Postby NYC2012 » Tue Nov 12, 2013 2:01 am

Only 6. I am picky on location.... please let me innnnn law schools

iamgeorgebush

Postby iamgeorgebush » Tue Nov 12, 2013 2:13 am

Hmm, I figured most TSLers would have applied to all the T14 at least. Maybe I should have added a category for 9-10 and made the highest 23+ instead.

PDaddy

Postby PDaddy » Tue Nov 12, 2013 3:12 am

iamgeorgebush wrote:Hmm, I figured most TSLers would have applied to all the T14 at least. Maybe I should have added a category for 9-10 and made the highest 23+ instead.

I tend to believe that many people will underreport the number of schools to which they apply, either consciously doing so to appear more badass or as the result of having to add schools later in their cycle(s).

These days it is not uncommon to see applicants apply to 25+ schools - if for no other reason than to play the scholarship game to the hilt.
Last edited by PDaddy on Tue Nov 12, 2013 5:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

snagglepuss

Postby snagglepuss » Tue Nov 12, 2013 3:53 am

PDaddy wrote:
I tend to believe that many people will underreport the number of schools to which they apply, either consciously doing so to appear more fab or as the result of having to add schools later in their cycle(s).

These days it is not uncommon to see applicants apply to 25+ schools - if for no other reason than to play the scholarship game to the hilt.

I don't think people have any reason to mis-report the number of schools they apply to (unless they add schools later on like you said); especially, since they're doing it anonymously. I wouldn't doubt that people might add points to their LSAT/GPA anonymously, but why the number of schools applied to?

Kimikho

Postby Kimikho » Tue Nov 12, 2013 4:08 am

bee wrote:havent submitted yet (lol) but when i do, it'll be 18

I'll be at 16 when Im done :/. T14, UCLA, Vandy.

bee, what are the last 4 for you?

Postby 062914123 » Tue Nov 12, 2013 4:37 am

Last edited by 062914123 on Thu Jul 03, 2014 5:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PDaddy

Postby PDaddy » Tue Nov 12, 2013 5:15 am

snagglepuss wrote:
PDaddy wrote:
I tend to believe that many people will underreport the number of schools to which they apply, either consciously doing so to appear more badass or as the result of having to add schools later in their cycle(s).

I don't think people have any reason to mis-report the number of schools they apply to (unless they add schools later on like you said); especially, since they're doing it anonymously. I wouldn't doubt that people might add points to their LSAT/GPA anonymously, but why the number of schools applied to?

I preempted your question in my post. "...to appear more badass..."

For the sake of discussion, a person looks more badass if they get into eight schools while claiming to have only applied to 10 schools when he/she really applied to 20. The fact that they are anonymous only enables them to pull off such d'baggery. Why misrepresent your GPA/LSAT, or even your UG and/or major, if you aren't going to go all the way? Fudging your cycle outcomes is the next logical step.

Lots of liars in the rooms here and on LSN. Sensing that as long as they don't sound like complete idiots their arguments won't be challenged as often or as intensely, they may want the false credibility that comes with looking badass on paper.

I'm not saying that it actually works for the majority who might go down that road, but TLS is mostly a groupthink situation, and most people here do not have the balls to stand on their own two feet. They may perceive that a badass profile and cycle keeps them / or more appropriately, their arguments - from being attacked more often.

blackbirdfly

Postby blackbirdfly » Tue Nov 12, 2013 9:07 am

Originally 15, but now 25 (LSAT didn't go as planned). Fee waivers are tempting.

cotiger

Postby cotiger » Tue Nov 12, 2013 9:37 am

PDaddy wrote:
snagglepuss wrote:I don't think people have any reason to mis-report the number of schools they apply to (unless they add schools later on like you said); especially, since they're doing it anonymously. I wouldn't doubt that people might add points to their LSAT/GPA anonymously, but why the number of schools applied to?

For the sake of discussion, a person looks more badass if they get into eight schools while claiming to have only applied to 10 schools when he/she really applied to 20. The fact that they are anonymous only enables them to pull off such d'baggery. Why misrepresent your GPA/LSAT, or even your UG and/or major, if you aren't going to go all the way? Fudging your cycle outcomes is the next logical step.

Lots of liars in the rooms here and on LSN. Sensing that as long as they don't sound like complete idiots their arguments won't be challenged as often or as intensely, they may want the false credibility that comes with looking badass on paper.

I'm not saying that it actually works for the majority who might go down that road, but TLS is mostly a groupthink situation, and most people here do not have the balls to stand on their own two feet. They may perceive that a badass profile and cycle keeps them / or more appropriately, their arguments - from being attacked more often.

I think you're being too paranoid. I can easily imagine a situation when people might apply to 6-10 schools, such as knowing that you only want a particular region. If you're not getting fee waivers, then it quickly becomes not worth it to apply to more schools with the hope that (for example) BC cares about whatever money you're getting from a completely unrelated school like UGA.

Typhoon24

Postby Typhoon24 » Tue Nov 12, 2013 9:39 am

redsox

Postby redsox » Tue Nov 12, 2013 9:49 am

9. Not really interested in anything outside t14, don't want to be in Cali or Michigan, wouldn't have a chance at Yale, not particularly interested in UVA but I'll probably end up applying there eventually since I have a fee waiver. So that will make it 10.

cotiger

Postby cotiger » Tue Nov 12, 2013 9:53 am

13. T14 minus Georgetown.

Steveloblaw

Postby Steveloblaw » Tue Nov 12, 2013 10:17 am

15. T14 (minus Yale and Stanford) + UCLA, UT, and Vandy.

dempsey6

Postby dempsey6 » Tue Nov 12, 2013 7:38 pm

hichvichwoh

Postby hichvichwoh » Tue Nov 12, 2013 8:37 pm

5, didn't send out my apps till March 1 and they were the only decent ones still accepting apps.

NYC2012

Postby NYC2012 » Tue Nov 12, 2013 9:16 pm

PDaddy wrote:
snagglepuss wrote:
PDaddy wrote:

Just for the record, I'm not lying about applying to 6 schools, haha. I have specific geographical preferences (aka, not on the East Coast) and I won't apply to safeties - if I can't get into a good law school, it's not worth going. Just my 2 cents though.
Last edited by NYC2012 on Tue Nov 12, 2013 9:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

hephaestus

Postby hephaestus » Tue Nov 12, 2013 9:19 pm

19 I think. In hindsight that was triple the number I should have.

midnight_circus

Postby midnight_circus » Wed Nov 13, 2013 7:04 pm

10. I changed my list once I got my lsat score. There are a few places in the t14 I just won't live for 3 years. Like Ann Arbor and Ithaca.

^ Regarding this, it doesn't make any sense. The poll is anonymous. This does not "allow them to pull of their d'baggery"--it actively prevents it. To look badass, we would have to lie elsewhere about the number of schools we applied and were admitted to. What good would lying here do for their image? In case they say they were admitted to 10/10 instead of 10/25 and if we question their veracity they can pull up these poll results and say that it is statistically more likely that they applied to 10 than 25, so we should believe/revere them? The data are not keyed to any individual.
Besides, a lot of us answering are probably currently applying, so we wouldn't even know how much to round down by to look "impressive." If we get into that reach, what would we say? "I got into 11!" "But you clicked the button for 10 in the anonymous forum poll!" "Uhhh, I mean...shit." Yeah. That exchange? Never gonna happen.

This poll is simply not the place for all these lying TLSers to bolster their false images.

You seem to have an exaggerated idea of the deviousness of the TLS population. I also sure as hell don't check someone's profile before arguing with them if I think they're mistaken or supporting them if I think they're correct. That's absurd. But maybe you'll say I just haven't succumbed to the groupthink yet?

ScottRiqui

Postby ScottRiqui » Wed Nov 13, 2013 7:21 pm

midnight_circus wrote:10. I changed my list once I got my lsat score. There are a few places in the t14 I just won't live for 3 years. Like Ann Arbor and Ithaca.

^ Regarding this, it doesn't make any sense. The poll is anonymous. This does not "allow them to pull of their d'baggery"--it actively prevents it. To look badass, we would have to lie elsewhere about the number of schools we applied and were admitted to. What good would lying here do for their image? In case they say they were admitted to 10/10 instead of 10/25 and if we question their veracity they can pull up these poll results and say that it is statistically more likely that they applied to 10 than 25, so we should believe/revere them? The data are not keyed to any individual.
Besides, a lot of us answering are probably currently applying, so we wouldn't even know how much to round down by to look "impressive." If we get into that reach, what would we say? "I got into 11!" "But you clicked the button for 10 in the anonymous forum poll!" "Uhhh, I mean...shit." Yeah. That exchange? Never gonna happen.

This poll is simply not the place for all these lying TLSers to bolster their false images.

You seem to have an exaggerated idea of the deviousness of the TLS population. I also sure as hell don't check someone's profile before arguing with them if I think they're mistaken or supporting them if I think they're correct. That's absurd. But maybe you'll say I just haven't succumbed to the groupthink yet?

All good points. Also, not all of us are applying from the same position. I've only applied to two schools, and voted appropriately in the poll. But rather than thinking it makes me look like a "badass" (and how could it?), I think it just reflects the fact that for personal reasons, I'm limiting myself to one metropolitan area for school/work that has good employment prospects and two good schools feeding it. Also, the number of applications drops like a stone when you look at older applicants. For those over 30, the median number of applications is 2. For those over 40, it's 1.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”