Summer or Fall start?

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
umichman

Summer or Fall start?

Postby umichman » Sat Nov 09, 2013 7:10 pm

Hey guys,

I got into michigan and have decided to go there. Adcomm gave me decision to start in the summer OR the fall. Any opinions on which is better?

Just extra info, I am a umich senior undergrad and have a house leased in Ann Arbor through August so that is one benefit of summer

mr. wednesday

Re: Summer or Fall start?

Postby mr. wednesday » Sat Nov 09, 2013 7:14 pm

What would you be doing for the summer if you pick fall start? Any chance at a nice vacation or a job that would allow you to save some money?

umichman

Postby umichman » Sat Nov 09, 2013 7:26 pm

I imagine I would be able to find a full time job for the summer to save some cash.

californiauser

Postby californiauser » Sat Nov 09, 2013 7:34 pm

Would you graduate in the December or May? Keep in mind, if you graduate in December and have a Big Law gig lined up, you won't start until the following September/October -- so basically you'll have to find a source of income until you start in the fall. Again, this is all assuming summer starts graduate early.

mr. wednesday

Postby mr. wednesday » Sat Nov 09, 2013 9:42 pm

californiauser wrote:Would you graduate in the December or May? Keep in mind, if you graduate in December and have a Big Law gig lined up, you won't start until the following September/October -- so basically you'll have to find a source of income until you start in the fall. Again, this is all assuming summer starts graduate early.

Yeah but only like 40% of Michigan grads get any kind of biglaw, so if OP is in the majority there, they may want to be able to take the Feb bar and hit their post-grad job search running. I think they also give you the option of taking a semester off at some point, which if you did 3L fall, you could intern full time, or intern and focus on your job search, etc. Maybe one of those semi-useless study abroad vacation programs if you already have an offer at that point.

If you can save like $5,000 during the summer working full time, do that. Otherwise, just start in the summer and give yourself greater flexibility later.

AHugeSpider

Postby AHugeSpider » Wed Mar 05, 2014 5:53 pm

Recent summer start grad here: 58% of people do firm jobs (with another 14% or so doing clerkships which usually ends up being firm job anyway). Of the people I know that are going to firms, half of them have started or will be starting early (myself included). I've only encountered a handful of people who asked and were told "no" and one of them was just Skadden because they have some kind of intense boot camp or something for new hires that takes place at a particular time.

thechancellor

Postby thechancellor » Thu Mar 06, 2014 1:21 pm

AHugeSpider wrote:Recent summer start grad here: 58% of people do firm jobs (with another 14% or so doing clerkships which usually ends up being firm job anyway). Of the people I know that are going to firms, half of them have started or will be starting early (myself included). I've only encountered a handful of people who asked and were told "no" and one of them was just Skadden because they have some kind of intense boot camp or something for new hires that takes place at a particular time.

Any idea what these people ended up doing afterward?

Entchen

Postby Entchen » Wed Mar 12, 2014 11:37 am

alex.cm wrote:
AHugeSpider wrote:Recent summer start grad here: 58% of people do firm jobs (with another 14% or so doing clerkships which usually ends up being firm job anyway). Of the people I know that are going to firms, half of them have started or will be starting early (myself included). I've only encountered a handful of people who asked and were told "no" and one of them was just Skadden because they have some kind of intense boot camp or something for new hires that takes place at a particular time.

Any idea what these people ended up doing afterward?

I didn't ask to start early and get denied, but I didn't ask to start early period -- I'll be starting with the rest of my class in the fall. I just took the February Bar, so that took up the first 2 months. I'll be staying in Ann Arbor through May, and possibly taking a second Bar exam in July. I'm planning to spend the rest of my time traveling.

As for money, I am living off the money I made at my job over the summer this term. In May, I'll get an advance from my firm to cover the summer.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”