Georgetown sticker

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
User avatar
cotiger
Posts: 1648
Joined: Tue Jul 23, 2013 11:49 pm

Re: Georgetown sticker

Postby cotiger » Wed Nov 13, 2013 10:18 pm

hayman wrote:Could GTown's placement power be diluted by the huge # of transfers? Perhaps those who are admitted as 1Ls do much better? More like DNC?


CLS also admits a huge number of transfers. From what I've read on TLS, it seems that they do better than the average 1L peeps because they get to use those top 10% grades along with the CLS name. Probably not as good as similarly situated people grade-wise who did 1L at CLS, but still better than the median student.

User avatar
stillwater
Posts: 3811
Joined: Tue Jun 28, 2011 2:59 pm

Re: Georgetown sticker

Postby stillwater » Wed Nov 13, 2013 10:18 pm

cotiger wrote:
hayman wrote:Could GTown's placement power be diluted by the huge # of transfers? Perhaps those who are admitted as 1Ls do much better? More like DNC?


CLS also admits a huge number of transfers. From what I've read on TLS, it seems that they do better than the average 1L peeps because they get to use those top 10% grades along with the CLS name. Probably not as good as similarly situated people grade-wise who did 1L at CLS, but still better than the median student.


the quality of transfer at CLS are going to be vastly better than GULC. GULC will let anyone and everyone in.

iqbalicarus
Posts: 19
Joined: Sun Nov 04, 2012 4:22 pm

Re: Georgetown sticker

Postby iqbalicarus » Wed Nov 13, 2013 10:19 pm

hayman wrote:Could GTown's placement power be diluted by the huge # of transfers? Perhaps those who are admitted as 1Ls do much better? More like DNC?

Pretty much impossible to tell; OCS doesn't granularize data by dividing between transfers and non-transfers. That said, though, original gulcers are likely to do much better just because biglaw is unlikely to pick Uc boulder or msu kids (top of the class or not) over kids with an actual class rank at a T14

iqbalicarus
Posts: 19
Joined: Sun Nov 04, 2012 4:22 pm

Re: Georgetown sticker

Postby iqbalicarus » Wed Nov 13, 2013 10:20 pm

stillwater wrote:
cotiger wrote:
hayman wrote:Could GTown's placement power be diluted by the huge # of transfers? Perhaps those who are admitted as 1Ls do much better? More like DNC?


CLS also admits a huge number of transfers. From what I've read on TLS, it seems that they do better than the average 1L peeps because they get to use those top 10% grades along with the CLS name. Probably not as good as similarly situated people grade-wise who did 1L at CLS, but still better than the median student.


the quality of transfer at CLS are going to be vastly better than GULC. GULC will let anyone and everyone in.


Data?

hashashin
Posts: 104
Joined: Mon Jul 22, 2013 8:41 pm

Re: Georgetown sticker

Postby hashashin » Wed Nov 13, 2013 10:23 pm

rickgrimes69 wrote:
hashashin wrote:
rickgrimes69 wrote:
hashashin wrote:this would suggest that it really is not that much harder to secure Biglaw from GULC than it is from the rest of DCNG.


lol at your entire post but especially this part


Awww, that's cute...the troglodyte with a 169 LSAT thinks he's elite...


Thanks for reminding me why law students are the worst


Haha...I was just kidding bro...169 is a perfectly great score

User avatar
stillwater
Posts: 3811
Joined: Tue Jun 28, 2011 2:59 pm

Re: Georgetown sticker

Postby stillwater » Wed Nov 13, 2013 10:24 pm

iqbalicarus wrote:
stillwater wrote:
cotiger wrote:
hayman wrote:Could GTown's placement power be diluted by the huge # of transfers? Perhaps those who are admitted as 1Ls do much better? More like DNC?


CLS also admits a huge number of transfers. From what I've read on TLS, it seems that they do better than the average 1L peeps because they get to use those top 10% grades along with the CLS name. Probably not as good as similarly situated people grade-wise who did 1L at CLS, but still better than the median student.


the quality of transfer at CLS are going to be vastly better than GULC. GULC will let anyone and everyone in.


Data?


numbers aren't available for the relative numerical strength of each incoming transfer class but CLS takes about 45-60 whereas GULC takes ~100. It is far easier to get into GULC via transfer than CLS, there;s just enough anecdata to support htat.

User avatar
Tiago Splitter
Posts: 15495
Joined: Tue Jun 28, 2011 1:20 am

Re: Georgetown sticker

Postby Tiago Splitter » Wed Nov 13, 2013 10:24 pm

iqbalicarus wrote:
stillwater wrote:
cotiger wrote:
hayman wrote:Could GTown's placement power be diluted by the huge # of transfers? Perhaps those who are admitted as 1Ls do much better? More like DNC?


CLS also admits a huge number of transfers. From what I've read on TLS, it seems that they do better than the average 1L peeps because they get to use those top 10% grades along with the CLS name. Probably not as good as similarly situated people grade-wise who did 1L at CLS, but still better than the median student.


the quality of transfer at CLS are going to be vastly better than GULC. GULC will let anyone and everyone in.


Data?

Not a lot here, but the ABA official guide shows GULC took 85 transfers last year while CLS took 52.

hashashin
Posts: 104
Joined: Mon Jul 22, 2013 8:41 pm

Re: Georgetown sticker

Postby hashashin » Wed Nov 13, 2013 10:27 pm


numbers aren't available for the relative numerical strength of each incoming transfer class but CLS takes about 45-60 whereas GULC takes ~100. It is far easier to get into GULC via transfer than CLS, there;s just enough anecdata to support htat.

How the fuck do you infer anything about relative quality from that?

User avatar
stillwater
Posts: 3811
Joined: Tue Jun 28, 2011 2:59 pm

Re: Georgetown sticker

Postby stillwater » Wed Nov 13, 2013 10:28 pm

hashashin wrote:

numbers aren't available for the relative numerical strength of each incoming transfer class but CLS takes about 45-60 whereas GULC takes ~100. It is far easier to get into GULC via transfer than CLS, there;s just enough anecdata to support htat.

How the fuck do you infer anything about relative quality from that?


do you really think GULC has a transfer class with the same strength as CLS. furthermore, put CLS in the friendliest market for biglaw outcomes. your GULC defense is just bizarre. its one thing to talk about its relative merits. its another to just make laughably bad arguments that discredit everything you say.

User avatar
cotiger
Posts: 1648
Joined: Tue Jul 23, 2013 11:49 pm

Re: Georgetown sticker

Postby cotiger » Wed Nov 13, 2013 10:29 pm

iqbalicarus wrote:
hayman wrote:Could GTown's placement power be diluted by the huge # of transfers? Perhaps those who are admitted as 1Ls do much better? More like DNC?

Pretty much impossible to tell; OCS doesn't granularize data by dividing between transfers and non-transfers. That said, though, original gulcers are likely to do much better just because biglaw is unlikely to pick Uc boulder or msu kids (top of the class or not) over kids with an actual class rank at a T14


I dunno, that's not what it sounds like from people who are actually in law school on these boards. I don't have any personal experience or knowledge one way or the other, however.

I think the idea is that the name of the school is only really important to employers in terms of the fact that they can say "we hired X HLS, Y CLS, and Z NYU grads." A top 10% person has shown that they can perform at a high level, and while they won't be looked at as favorably as someone who got that top 10% at CLS (or wherever), they will be looked at more favorably than median. This is because the employer gets name of fancy school whether it's from a transfer or not, and the top 10%er from T1 has demonstrated his chops more than medianbro at T14.

But numbered L's please correct me if I'm wrong.
Last edited by cotiger on Wed Nov 13, 2013 10:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

hashashin
Posts: 104
Joined: Mon Jul 22, 2013 8:41 pm

Re: Georgetown sticker

Postby hashashin » Wed Nov 13, 2013 10:32 pm

hashashin wrote:

numbers aren't available for the relative numerical strength of each incoming transfer class but CLS takes about 45-60 whereas GULC takes ~100. It is far easier to get into GULC via transfer than CLS, there;s just enough anecdata to support htat.

How the fuck do you infer anything about relative quality from that?

I mean, I'm wondering just because there MIGHT be a big diff in the schools from which Columbus's xfers come, which may affect how firms perceive them. I mean, it's probably not that it has t14 kids in its xfer class, but there may be more vandy/ucla/USC kids in it?

User avatar
Tiago Splitter
Posts: 15495
Joined: Tue Jun 28, 2011 1:20 am

Re: Georgetown sticker

Postby Tiago Splitter » Wed Nov 13, 2013 10:33 pm

cotiger wrote:
iqbalicarus wrote:
hayman wrote:Could GTown's placement power be diluted by the huge # of transfers? Perhaps those who are admitted as 1Ls do much better? More like DNC?

Pretty much impossible to tell; OCS doesn't granularize data by dividing between transfers and non-transfers. That said, though, original gulcers are likely to do much better just because biglaw is unlikely to pick Uc boulder or msu kids (top of the class or not) over kids with an actual class rank at a T14


I dunno, that's not what it sounds like from people who are actually in law school on these boards. I don't have any personal experience or knowledge one way or the other, however.

I think the idea is that the name of the school is only really important to employers in terms of the fact that they can say "we hired X HLS, Y CLS, and Z NYU grads. A top 10% person has shown that they can perform at a high level, and while they won't be looked at as favorably as someone who got that top 10% at CLS (or wherever), they will be looked at more favorably than median. This is because the employer gets name of fancy school whether it's from a transfer or not, and the top 10%er from T1 has demonstrated his chops more than medianbro at T14.

But numbered L's please correct me if I'm wrong.

Well there are more people seeking biglaw than getting it at GULC. Employers have to make some decisions about who to hire, and it's not unreasonable to think that they look down on someone who didn't dominate at a lower ranked school and instead take someone who finished 1L middle of the pack.

I know that transfers tend to kill it at Columbia, but most of those people would have done just fine at their old school.

hashashin
Posts: 104
Joined: Mon Jul 22, 2013 8:41 pm

Re: Georgetown sticker

Postby hashashin » Wed Nov 13, 2013 11:00 pm

stillwater wrote:
hashashin wrote:

numbers aren't available for the relative numerical strength of each incoming transfer class but CLS takes about 45-60 whereas GULC takes ~100. It is far easier to get into GULC via transfer than CLS, there;s just enough anecdata to support htat.

How the fuck do you infer anything about relative quality from that?


do you really think GULC has a transfer class with the same strength as CLS. furthermore, put CLS in the friendliest market for biglaw outcomes. your GULC defense is just bizarre. its one thing to talk about its relative merits. its another to just make laughably bad arguments that discredit everything you say.


No, in the sense that I think that the SCHOOLS from which kids are transferring into CLS are better/more renowned than the ones that are transferring into GULC (on average, anyway). I don't really get how different the numerical quality would be, since Transfers in both schools are likely to be in the top 10-15% of their original 1L classes.

I wasn't asking for data because I disbelieve that the kids transferring into CLS are of a higher caliber than XFER classes at lower-ranked T14s, just that the REASON for that difference may have more to do with the school from which they are transferring than their original class rank.

Jeez: People get SOOOOOO Butthurt

User avatar
stillwater
Posts: 3811
Joined: Tue Jun 28, 2011 2:59 pm

Re: Georgetown sticker

Postby stillwater » Wed Nov 13, 2013 11:10 pm

hashashin wrote:
stillwater wrote:
hashashin wrote:

numbers aren't available for the relative numerical strength of each incoming transfer class but CLS takes about 45-60 whereas GULC takes ~100. It is far easier to get into GULC via transfer than CLS, there;s just enough anecdata to support htat.

How the fuck do you infer anything about relative quality from that?


do you really think GULC has a transfer class with the same strength as CLS. furthermore, put CLS in the friendliest market for biglaw outcomes. your GULC defense is just bizarre. its one thing to talk about its relative merits. its another to just make laughably bad arguments that discredit everything you say.


No, in the sense that I think that the SCHOOLS from which kids are transferring into CLS are better/more renowned than the ones that are transferring into GULC (on average, anyway). I don't really get how different the numerical quality would be, since Transfers in both schools are likely to be in the top 10-15% of their original 1L classes.

I wasn't asking for data because I disbelieve that the kids transferring into CLS are of a higher caliber than XFER classes at lower-ranked T14s, just that the REASON for that difference may have more to do with the school from which they are transferring than their original class rank.

Jeez: People get SOOOOOO Butthurt


that was my point. there is no data for school with accompanying numbers. so you just stated the obvious and bolstered the point I was making (which you seem to have a penchant for).

hashashin
Posts: 104
Joined: Mon Jul 22, 2013 8:41 pm

Re: Georgetown sticker

Postby hashashin » Wed Nov 13, 2013 11:12 pm

Jeez: People get SOOOOOO Butthurt[

that was my point. there is no data for school with accompanying numbers. so you just stated the obvious and bolstered the point I was making (which you seem to have a penchant for).


Wait wait wait...did YOU transfer into CLS?
Last edited by hashashin on Wed Nov 13, 2013 11:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
PDaddy
Posts: 2073
Joined: Sat Jan 16, 2010 4:40 am

Re: Georgetown sticker

Postby PDaddy » Wed Nov 13, 2013 11:12 pm

You would almost think this site was called "HYS" and not "TLS". Lol. While I agree that GULC doesn't carry the cache' of the other T-14's, we need to decide on a consistent and realistic (but fair) voice.

We have gone from anything below T-14 is questionable to anything below top 6-7 is virtually unacceptable without a full ride. Are we really that elitist, or is the job market - while admittedly bad - really THAT bad?

Ti Malice
Posts: 1955
Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2012 2:55 am

Re: Georgetown sticker

Postby Ti Malice » Wed Nov 13, 2013 11:52 pm

PDaddy wrote:We have gone from anything below T-14 is questionable to anything below top 6-7 is virtually unacceptable without a full ride.


That's definitely overstating things.

User avatar
Sinatra
Posts: 436
Joined: Tue Jun 04, 2013 11:40 pm

Re: Georgetown sticker

Postby Sinatra » Thu Nov 14, 2013 12:18 am

Many transfers have also had the opportunity to go through OCI at their original school plus their new school, which is likely a reason they do so well (along with their already good grades).

KingofSplitters55
Posts: 139
Joined: Sun May 13, 2012 7:40 pm

Re: Georgetown sticker

Postby KingofSplitters55 » Thu Nov 14, 2013 2:09 pm

Ti Malice wrote:
PDaddy wrote:We have gone from anything below T-14 is questionable to anything below top 6-7 is virtually unacceptable without a full ride.


That's definitely overstating things.


Columbia, Chicago, or NYU at sticker with it all being paid for by debt? No way. Good luck getting median while going through the gauntlet of 170+'s duking it out. And even if you do, enjoy getting laid off after 5 years even if you got your 160K party right after graduation.

User avatar
Sinatra
Posts: 436
Joined: Tue Jun 04, 2013 11:40 pm

Re: Georgetown sticker

Postby Sinatra » Thu Nov 14, 2013 2:26 pm

KingofSplitters55 wrote:
Ti Malice wrote:
PDaddy wrote:We have gone from anything below T-14 is questionable to anything below top 6-7 is virtually unacceptable without a full ride.


That's definitely overstating things.


Columbia, Chicago, or NYU at sticker with it all being paid for by debt? No way. Good luck getting median while going through the gauntlet of 170+'s duking it out. And even if you do, enjoy getting laid off after 5 years even if you got your 160K party right after graduation.

I would take this scenario anytime. Five years of BL would easily pay off sticker if the person is at least somewhat decent at budgeting.

linkx13
Posts: 288
Joined: Sun Oct 14, 2012 1:27 pm

Re: Georgetown sticker

Postby linkx13 » Thu Nov 14, 2013 2:40 pm

Tagged

User avatar
jselson
Posts: 6337
Joined: Sat Jan 05, 2013 3:51 am

Re: Georgetown sticker

Postby jselson » Thu Nov 14, 2013 5:15 pm

KingofSplitters55 wrote:
Ti Malice wrote:
PDaddy wrote:We have gone from anything below T-14 is questionable to anything below top 6-7 is virtually unacceptable without a full ride.


That's definitely overstating things.


Columbia, Chicago, or NYU at sticker with it all being paid for by debt? No way. Good luck getting median while going through the gauntlet of 170+'s duking it out. And even if you do, enjoy getting laid off after 5 years even if you got your 160K party right after graduation.


Grow a spine.

Ti Malice
Posts: 1955
Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2012 2:55 am

Re: Georgetown sticker

Postby Ti Malice » Thu Nov 14, 2013 5:31 pm

KingofSplitters55 wrote:
Ti Malice wrote:
PDaddy wrote:We have gone from anything below T-14 is questionable to anything below top 6-7 is virtually unacceptable without a full ride.


That's definitely overstating things.


Columbia, Chicago, or NYU at sticker with it all being paid for by debt? No way. Good luck getting median while going through the gauntlet of 170+'s duking it out. And even if you do, enjoy getting laid off after 5 years even if you got your 160K party right after graduation.


I'm not really understanding the purpose of your post. I'm not stating my own view. I'm saying that his characterization of the median TLS position is an exaggeration.

And, for the record, no one said or implied anything about going to CCN at sticker.

User avatar
smokeylarue
Posts: 408
Joined: Sat Oct 30, 2010 3:55 pm

Re: Georgetown sticker

Postby smokeylarue » Wed Nov 20, 2013 3:24 pm

If BigLaw is the goal, GTown is probably the ONE T-14 you can definitively say is not worth sticker. On the opposite spectrum, you can probably argue any of the T6 is worth sticker. (and maybe Upenn as well). Anything in between is up to your risk tolerance.

Blackjack45
Posts: 26
Joined: Wed Oct 02, 2013 9:38 pm

Re: Georgetown sticker

Postby Blackjack45 » Wed Nov 20, 2013 9:32 pm

And also as a tidbit... How much is need based aid at these aforementioned t14s? (Georgetown specifically). I am going in with literally nothing. My parents' income is about zilch also, so shouldn't I get some help? Or does law school not work that way?




Return to “Choosing a Law School”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Ferrisjso, North and 1 guest