Georgetown sticker

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
User avatar
twenty
Posts: 3153
Joined: Wed Jan 11, 2012 1:17 pm

Re: Georgetown sticker

Postby twenty » Wed Nov 20, 2013 10:01 pm

You might get 7k a year from non-HYS schools in need-based aid if you're really just that poor.

Blackjack45
Posts: 26
Joined: Wed Oct 02, 2013 9:38 pm

Re: Georgetown sticker

Postby Blackjack45 » Wed Nov 20, 2013 10:56 pm

twentypercentmore wrote:You might get 7k a year from non-HYS schools in need-based aid if you're really just that poor.


Is that the maximum they give out for need based aid?

User avatar
twenty
Posts: 3153
Joined: Wed Jan 11, 2012 1:17 pm

Re: Georgetown sticker

Postby twenty » Wed Nov 20, 2013 11:17 pm

It's partly rhetorical, but do not count on getting any need based aid from law schools. Then if you do get a small dollar amount, you can be happy about it.

User avatar
kwu
Posts: 24
Joined: Tue Jul 14, 2009 7:00 pm

Re: Georgetown sticker

Postby kwu » Thu Nov 21, 2013 6:36 pm


kckool7
Posts: 139
Joined: Mon Mar 26, 2012 3:32 pm

Re: Georgetown sticker

Postby kckool7 » Sat Nov 23, 2013 4:57 pm

FTR, I think "Georgetown sticker" isn't so much a real thing anymore. I got in off the WL with middling numbers (median LSAT, below 25% GPA) and requested a scholarship, showing the sorts of offers from T30ish schools that those numbers will get you. I got a small one. It's not massive, but it's not sticker. I doubt that anyone who gets in before the WL period would have to pay sticker if they pushed the issue.

User avatar
Tiago Splitter
Posts: 15464
Joined: Tue Jun 28, 2011 1:20 am

Re: Georgetown sticker

Postby Tiago Splitter » Sat Nov 23, 2013 5:04 pm

kckool7 wrote:FTR, I think "Georgetown sticker" isn't so much a real thing anymore. I got in off the WL with middling numbers (median LSAT, below 25% GPA) and requested a scholarship, showing the sorts of offers from T30ish schools that those numbers will get you. I got a small one. It's not massive, but it's not sticker. I doubt that anyone who gets in before the WL period would have to pay sticker if they pushed the issue.

A 10k scholarship just puts you back to where sticker was in 2007-2008. It really doesn't change the analysis.

User avatar
BarbellDreams
Posts: 2256
Joined: Thu Mar 19, 2009 6:10 pm

Re: Georgetown sticker

Postby BarbellDreams » Sat Nov 23, 2013 6:21 pm

Dear God do NOT go to GTown. Either retake or pick a location you're 100% sure you wanna work at and take a full ride / close to full ride there. If UF in state is gonna give you a fullride that will put your total loans at like 45K (or free, if you live at home) I would absolutely take that over GTown.

Blackjack45
Posts: 26
Joined: Wed Oct 02, 2013 9:38 pm

Re: Georgetown sticker

Postby Blackjack45 » Sat Nov 23, 2013 10:31 pm

Okay I think my point may have been a bit misconstrued. I guess my question in the OP was... "What is the lowest school you would go to sticker?" (Worst case scenario). So it seems that consensus is that GULC isn't worth sticker. How about Cornell, Northwestern etc.

I've seen a couple replies to that question, but I think I didn't word the query in the OP very well.

ETA: I have to add that I'm only clarifying so strongly because I just got my email from Cornell !!!!!!

User avatar
desiballa21
Posts: 440
Joined: Sat Sep 25, 2010 10:33 pm

Re: Georgetown sticker

Postby desiballa21 » Mon Nov 25, 2013 7:14 am

twentypercentmore wrote:You might get 7k a year from non-HYS schools in need-based aid if you're really just that poor.


This is untrue. Georgetown gives significant need-based aid. I've talked to a few people that have gotten 20-30K a year-- all need based.

User avatar
twenty
Posts: 3153
Joined: Wed Jan 11, 2012 1:17 pm

Re: Georgetown sticker

Postby twenty » Mon Nov 25, 2013 1:30 pm

desiballa21 wrote:
twentypercentmore wrote:You might get 7k a year from non-HYS schools in need-based aid if you're really just that poor.


This is untrue. Georgetown gives significant need-based aid. I've talked to a few people that have gotten 20-30K a year-- all need based.


I sort of don't buy this. First, there's basically no correlative evidence on LSN to support this (i.e, no people getting weird scholarship amounts based on first year need). Second, though an anecdote, a friend with close to 0 EFC got <5k/yr from GULC.

I dunno. I say "sort of don't buy it" because I believe you when you say you've talked to people who say they've gotten that much in need-based.

User avatar
desiballa21
Posts: 440
Joined: Sat Sep 25, 2010 10:33 pm

Re: Georgetown sticker

Postby desiballa21 » Mon Nov 25, 2013 2:02 pm

twentypercentmore wrote:
desiballa21 wrote:
twentypercentmore wrote:You might get 7k a year from non-HYS schools in need-based aid if you're really just that poor.


This is untrue. Georgetown gives significant need-based aid. I've talked to a few people that have gotten 20-30K a year-- all need based.


I sort of don't buy this. First, there's basically no correlative evidence on LSN to support this (i.e, no people getting weird scholarship amounts based on first year need). Second, though an anecdote, a friend with close to 0 EFC got <5k/yr from GULC.

I dunno. I say "sort of don't buy it" because I believe you when you say you've talked to people who say they've gotten that much in need-based.


That's really, really odd. Even on the Georgetown thread from last year, you can see even see multiple people saying they got significant need-based aid.

User avatar
Robespierre
Posts: 512
Joined: Mon Jan 24, 2011 7:02 pm

Re: Georgetown sticker

Postby Robespierre » Mon Nov 25, 2013 3:57 pm

Is GULC worth sticker? As a student there, my answer is: Not for most people. The cost of attendance is so high that it is not worth taking on 250K debt for, given the current hiring outlook. (I agree with the pro-GULC poster that the stats are COMPARABLE to other low T14s, but they're still the worst in the T14, and some other lower T14s are not so hot deals right now anyway.)

I can see three exceptions:

1. Someone dead-set on public interest. That way you use LRAP to cope with the debt and graduate with a degree from the best school in the city with the most PI jobs.

2. Someone with some combination of these characteristics: (a) no other T14 offers, (b) target market of DC or NYC, (c) not freaked out by 250K in debt, (d) loves the school after visiting, and (e) already has a leg up on hiring due to being URM or well-connected or strongly IP-secure or movie star attractive.

3. Someone in the part-time program who has a very good day job that can be used to cover living expenses and part of tuition. Debt in this scenario could end up to be 100K or less.

ETA: And I guess, 4) affluent parents.

User avatar
wolf
Posts: 139
Joined: Wed Mar 30, 2011 8:09 pm

Re: Georgetown sticker

Postby wolf » Thu Feb 27, 2014 5:17 pm

twenty wrote:
desiballa21 wrote:
twentypercentmore wrote:You might get 7k a year from non-HYS schools in need-based aid if you're really just that poor.


This is untrue. Georgetown gives significant need-based aid. I've talked to a few people that have gotten 20-30K a year-- all need based.


I sort of don't buy this. First, there's basically no correlative evidence on LSN to support this (i.e, no people getting weird scholarship amounts based on first year need). Second, though an anecdote, a friend with close to 0 EFC got <5k/yr from GULC.

I dunno. I say "sort of don't buy it" because I believe you when you say you've talked to people who say they've gotten that much in need-based.
Last edited by wolf on Sat Mar 01, 2014 4:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
rickgrimes69
Posts: 1107
Joined: Sat Mar 31, 2012 8:56 am

Re: Georgetown sticker

Postby rickgrimes69 » Thu Feb 27, 2014 10:24 pm

wolf wrote:
twenty wrote:
desiballa21 wrote:
twentypercentmore wrote:You might get 7k a year from non-HYS schools in need-based aid if you're really just that poor.


This is untrue. Georgetown gives significant need-based aid. I've talked to a few people that have gotten 20-30K a year-- all need based.


I sort of don't buy this. First, there's basically no correlative evidence on LSN to support this (i.e, no people getting weird scholarship amounts based on first year need). Second, though an anecdote, a friend with close to 0 EFC got <5k/yr from GULC.

I dunno. I say "sort of don't buy it" because I believe you when you say you've talked to people who say they've gotten that much in need-based.


I have 23K a year in need based aid at GULC in addition to the merit aid i received.


Image

e: gif is better on its own
Last edited by rickgrimes69 on Fri Feb 28, 2014 8:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
wolf
Posts: 139
Joined: Wed Mar 30, 2011 8:09 pm

Re: Georgetown sticker

Postby wolf » Thu Feb 27, 2014 10:55 pm

Duke places better in Biglaw that GULC. Not even open for debate. Oh and Rick if it makes you feel better, Duke did not offer me jack shit.

User avatar
jbagelboy
Posts: 9635
Joined: Thu Nov 29, 2012 7:57 pm

Re: Georgetown sticker

Postby jbagelboy » Fri Feb 28, 2014 2:02 am

Answer to the thread title: No. Just, stop. No.

WhatOurBodiesAreFor
Posts: 369
Joined: Thu Nov 01, 2012 9:23 pm

Re: Georgetown sticker

Postby WhatOurBodiesAreFor » Mon Mar 03, 2014 8:01 pm

Robespierre wrote:Is GULC worth sticker? As a student there, my answer is: Not for most people. The cost of attendance is so high that it is not worth taking on 250K debt for, given the current hiring outlook. (I agree with the pro-GULC poster that the stats are COMPARABLE to other low T14s, but they're still the worst in the T14, and some other lower T14s are not so hot deals right now anyway.)

I can see three exceptions:

1. Someone dead-set on public interest. That way you use LRAP to cope with the debt and graduate with a degree from the best school in the city with the most PI jobs.

2. Someone with some combination of these characteristics: (a) no other T14 offers, (b) target market of DC or NYC, (c) not freaked out by 250K in debt, (d) loves the school after visiting, and (e) already has a leg up on hiring due to being URM or well-connected or strongly IP-secure or movie star attractive.

3. Someone in the part-time program who has a very good day job that can be used to cover living expenses and part of tuition. Debt in this scenario could end up to be 100K or less.

ETA: And I guess, 4) affluent parents.


Current 1L here. I'd agree. I'd almost want to add a fifth, because it is a fantastic law school and university and holds a lot of prestige here in DC and elsewhere. That "T13" type stuff is largely a product of the TLS echo chamber. No one outside of the law school world knows or cares that Georgetown isn't what it used to be.

But. I got friends at other T14s and, just from little anecdotes here and there, I can say pretty confidently that the typical 1L is better off at the other T14s. DC is a tough market to crack, and our class is enormous. If you didn't have to worry about money, Georgetown is better than any other non-T14. But of course we do. And the fact is that Georgetown at sticker, if you don't fit into one of the exceptions above, is probably not the best thing you can do with your numbers.

If you want to take that gamble, considering yourself a fifth exception, because you have connections to DC; have great softs; feel confident in how you'll do at law school; or whatever, make sure you got a little bit of 1, 2, 3, or 4.



Also, about that "I don't buy the need-based scholarship thing". I'm half need-based, half merit. And a lot of my friends are need-based too. Please don't contribute if you aren't sure that you have anything to add.




Return to “Choosing a Law School”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: tinafeyclone and 1 guest