Best T-14s for Texas Biglaw

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
HYSenberg

Re: Best T-14s for Texas Biglaw

Postby HYSenberg » Mon Dec 09, 2013 11:39 pm

Haha I read it the same way and I found it funny as well. At least you have an excuse for your brain being fried with finals etc.; I'm just drunk.

ScottRiqui

Postby ScottRiqui » Tue Dec 10, 2013 12:24 am

romanticegotist wrote:Austin in particular is really tough for everyone b/c it's actually pretty small, especially if you aren't doing IP. Source: am at UT.

I know that IPSECURE isn't what it used to be, but what's your impression of how it affects OCI at Texas? I'm planning on taking the patent bar before 1L, just to get it out of the way and to demonstrate commitment to IP. If it makes a difference, I'm hoping to work in Dallas, not Austin.

the_phoenix612

Postby the_phoenix612 » Wed Dec 11, 2013 8:23 pm

FWIW, I go to Columbia, went to Texas public university undergrad, and had LOTS of success in Biglaw interviewing and offering. Coming back down and splitting between Dallas and Houston next summer at two firms.

A lot may have to do with your own legwork, but if you email recruiters in TX Biglaw from a columbia.edu address, you'll get a look-at.

shifty_eyed

Postby shifty_eyed » Thu Dec 12, 2013 12:01 am

Knowing you have to be well above median for a good shot at TX biglaw is not a fun feeling as exams approach.

justinp

Postby justinp » Thu Dec 12, 2013 12:02 am

the_phoenix612 wrote:FWIW, I go to Columbia, went to Texas public university undergrad, and had LOTS of success in Biglaw interviewing and offering. Coming back down and splitting between Dallas and Houston next summer at two firms.

A lot may have to do with your own legwork, but if you email recruiters in TX Biglaw from a columbia.edu address, you'll get a look-at.

Definitely good to know about. I've been curious (just out of interest-- already in law school elsewhere) as to how much self-selection there was influencing the relative absence of Columbia/NYU folks in TX. Where(ish) were you in the class?

BigZuck

Postby BigZuck » Thu Dec 12, 2013 12:17 am

shifty_eyed wrote:Knowing you have to be well above median for a good shot at TX biglaw is not a fun feeling as exams approach.

This. Especially when you hear about all the barrel shooting TX bros do from their T14s.

the_phoenix612

Postby the_phoenix612 » Tue Dec 17, 2013 2:43 am

justinp wrote:
the_phoenix612 wrote:FWIW, I go to Columbia, went to Texas public university undergrad, and had LOTS of success in Biglaw interviewing and offering. Coming back down and splitting between Dallas and Houston next summer at two firms.

Definitely good to know about. I've been curious (just out of interest-- already in law school elsewhere) as to how much self-selection there was influencing the relative absence of Columbia/NYU folks in TX. Where(ish) were you in the class?

Happy to help! Columbia doesn't rank but my GPA is solidly above the median of our curve. I had offers in several markets, and chose Texas. Does that answer your question?

justinp

Postby justinp » Wed Dec 18, 2013 1:58 am

the_phoenix612 wrote:
justinp wrote:

Happy to help! Columbia doesn't rank but my GPA is solidly above the median of our curve. I had offers in several markets, and chose Texas. Does that answer your question?

Yep! Did it generally seem like folks who were targeting Texas got decent gigs?

the_phoenix612

Postby the_phoenix612 » Wed Dec 18, 2013 4:04 am

justinp wrote:
the_phoenix612 wrote:
justinp wrote:

Yep! Did it generally seem like folks who were targeting Texas got decent gigs?

Very close to 100%

Return to “Choosing a Law School”