confused over baylor vs uh

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
deebanger

confused over baylor vs uh

Postby deebanger » Wed Nov 06, 2013 2:18 am

Hey guys! I know TLS is firm with it's belief that UH is def better than baylor, because it feeds into a bigger market. But im confused why thats the case when the employment stats tell otherwise. UH has a better large firm score, but also has more underemployment than Baylor. Isn't TLS supposed to be all about employment numbers? Is this one of those things that TLS gets it wrong, because of some anectodal evidence?

LST- Baylor- http://www.lstscorereports.com/?school=baylor
LST- UH- http://www.lstscorereports.com/?school=houston

PDaddy

Re: confused over baylor vs uh

Postby PDaddy » Wed Nov 06, 2013 2:27 am

I have always considered the two to be about equal, for exactly the reasons you cite. Between the two schools, you trade some benefits and shortcomings for others.

Both schools feed into the Houston Market. So if you want a safer bet for employment go to Baylor; if you are after biglaw, go to UH.

rad lulz

Postby rad lulz » Wed Nov 06, 2013 2:29 am

k
Last edited by rad lulz on Wed Sep 14, 2016 1:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

deebanger

Postby deebanger » Wed Nov 06, 2013 2:35 am

rad lulz wrote:Don't go to Baylor because by all accounts it is an absolutely miserable experience

Can u elaborate more please!. U just summed up what TLS thinks. But when it's employment stats are better than UH atleast in certain aspects, why it such terrible? is it waco? The cost of living is very low and wont law students want to save money on rent and stuff like that? I know that waco is not LA or New york, but honestly, Ive lived in worse places and Im not into nightlife, and to be honest would rather prefer a small town for my personality.

deebanger

Postby deebanger » Wed Nov 06, 2013 2:37 am

PDaddy wrote:I have always considered the two to be about equal, for exactly the reasons you cite. Between the two schools, you trade some benefits and shortcomings for others.

Both schools feed into the Houston Market. So if you want a safer bet for employment go to Baylor; if you are after biglaw, go to UH.

Thanks for your input, but I believe that u might be the first here at TLS to atleast consider UH and baylor as equal schools. Most people here compare Baylor to Cooley.

TheJanitor6203

Postby TheJanitor6203 » Wed Nov 06, 2013 2:44 am

Waco has poor employment numbers. You're better off going to UH if you want to work in Houston. Since Baylor doesn't feed into any major market there's no where to go into big law. You'll end up starting your own practice or working in a small firm. Baylor is more than UH. Baylor is ranked #1 for being the most competitive among students. There are tales of hiding books, ripping out pages, not passing on notes, etc. Apparently the profs take pride in how poorly they treat 1L's. You're 3L will be spent in practice court, I.e. your 3L will not be spent studying for the bar or finding a job because practice court is very time consuming. Lastly, they're on a quarter system which means way more finals.

Disclaimer: None of these are my personal experiences. This is just what I have learned after reading a million Baylor v. ______ threads.

BigZuck

Postby BigZuck » Wed Nov 06, 2013 2:55 am

deebanger wrote:Hey guys! I know TLS is firm with it's belief that UH is def better than baylor, because it feeds into a bigger market. But im confused why thats the case when the employment stats tell otherwise. UH has a better large firm score, but also has more underemployment than Baylor. Isn't TLS supposed to be all about employment numbers? Is this one of those things that TLS gets it wrong, because of some anectodal evidence?

LST- Baylor- http://www.lstscorereports.com/?school=baylor
LST- UH- http://www.lstscorereports.com/?school=houston

Why do so many people want to defend Baylor lately?

How do you look at those two links and decide Baylor is better than UH? Maybe negligibly better at getting any old legal job but its significantly worse at getting high paying legal jobs. Also, where are these jobs that these people are getting located?

This has informed a lot of my opinion of Baylor: viewtopic.php?f=4&t=192436

Also, it has a reputation for being crazy competitive, the school bones its students who try to get summer employment, and Waco. Ever been to Waco? Even by Texas standards it sucks.

Look, UH doesn't give you a good shot at big law and so I would never go there if that's what you're shooting for. That's what T14 schools (and to a lesser extent, UT) is for. So beyond big law you should go to a school that gives you a good chance at getting a lawyer job. UH will place into Houston where it is respected and has a good alumni network. SMU does the same for Dallas. Where do the Baylor kids go? Presumably the are behind UH and SMU in their respective markets (and all are definitely behind UT).

Personally I wouldn't want to go through law school Hell. Normal law school already has enough stress and not fun moments, I wouldn't want to go to school at a place that seemingly enjoys making that experience exponentially worse. And I definitely wouldn't want to do it in a place like Waco only to end up (more than likely) getting a job in a place like Waco.

Given everything I think most people considering TX schools would be better off pretending Baylor didn't exist and just consider UT, UH, and SMU. Baylor would be somewhere on a tier with Tech meaning I wouldn't go there outside of extraordinary circumstances.

BigZuck

Postby BigZuck » Wed Nov 06, 2013 2:59 am

Guys, you need to stop saying stuff like "if you want big law, go to UH." Yes, it gives you better odds than Baylor and that might be nice if you are lucky enough to do well. But the odds are still crappy and you probably won't get it.

You should never choose a school for its big law chances if its not in the T14 (maybe T18 but I think that's stretching it)

Nova

Postby Nova » Wed Nov 06, 2013 3:07 am

Baylor tries hard to be extra rigorous by giving more homework and assignments, or something like that. Its also in an boring college town far away from employers.

SMU & Houston are the best schools located in their market.

PDaddy wrote: if you are after biglaw, go to UH.

Naaa.

If youre after biglaw, retake.

Tiago Splitter

Postby Tiago Splitter » Wed Nov 06, 2013 11:43 am

The employment numbers really aren't close to equal once you look at the quality of the jobs. Virtually all of the people employed in firms out of Baylor are at firms of 2-50 attorneys, and the majority of those are in the 2-10 category. Baylor only put 8% of its class in firms of 100+, while Houston was at 17.5%. Neither school is an acceptable choice if you want large firm work, but Houston has better placement.

Samuel Patane

Postby Samuel Patane » Wed Nov 06, 2013 6:30 pm

I strongly urge you to retake the LSAT if you are looking for firm work, especially larger firms. With that said, if I had to pick between the two I would take UH and not look back. Baylor is by all accounts a very difficult situation to come out of.

bizzybone1313

Postby bizzybone1313 » Wed Nov 06, 2013 6:50 pm

I know two Baylor Law grads. One is doing shit law in a 2 person shop. This guy is an idiot though. His numbers were like 3.8/168 and he went there. He didn't want to attend UT for a very, very stupid reason. I don't think he applied to the T-14. The other person is doing pretty well at a 10-15 attorney firm making $75K+. But this brood is the type of person whose Daddy and Mommy probably pulled some strings. That being said, Baylor is a real, real bad idea.

BigZuck

Postby BigZuck » Wed Nov 06, 2013 6:53 pm

bizzybone1313 wrote:I know two Baylor Law grads. One is doing shit law in a 2 person shop. This guy is an idiot though. His numbers were like 3.8/168 and he went there. He didn't want to attend UT for a very, very stupid reason. I don't think he applied to the T-14. The other person is doing pretty well at a 10-15 attorney firm making $75K+. But this brood is the type of person whose Daddy and Mommy probably pulled some strings. That being said, Baylor is a real, real bad idea.

What was his reason?

bizzybone1313

Postby bizzybone1313 » Wed Nov 06, 2013 7:01 pm

BigZuck wrote:
bizzybone1313 wrote:I know two Baylor Law grads. One is doing shit law in a 2 person shop. This guy is an idiot though. His numbers were like 3.8/168 and he went there. He didn't want to attend UT for a very, very stupid reason. I don't think he applied to the T-14. The other person is doing pretty well at a 10-15 attorney firm making $75K+. But this brood is the type of person whose Daddy and Mommy probably pulled some strings. That being said, Baylor is a real, real bad idea.

What was his reason?

He didn't want to attend UT because it is more on the liberal side and he is very conservative.

Ti Malice

Postby Ti Malice » Wed Nov 06, 2013 8:06 pm

bizzybone1313 wrote:
BigZuck wrote:

What was his reason?

He didn't want to attend UT because it is more on the liberal side and he is very conservative.

What a dumbass.

Ti Malice

Postby Ti Malice » Wed Nov 06, 2013 8:30 pm

Tiago Splitter wrote:The employment numbers really aren't close to equal once you look at the quality of the jobs. Virtually all of the people employed in firms out of Baylor are at firms of 2-50 attorneys, and the majority of those are in the 2-10 category. Baylor only put 8% of its class in firms of 100+, while Houston was at 17.5%. Neither school is an acceptable choice if you want large firm work, but Houston has better placement.

Also, given UH's location and its part-time program, it's reasonable to think that a fair number of the J.D.-advantage jobs that 12.2% of its grads take are actually decent jobs. This is unlikely to be the case at a school that has no part-time program and is located in an economic wasteland.

BigZuck

Postby BigZuck » Wed Nov 06, 2013 9:41 pm

bizzybone1313 wrote:
BigZuck wrote:

What was his reason?

That's really dumb

I go to UT. People run the entire political gamut. I'm actually kind of surprised how many conservative people there are (then again, it is Texas). My con law prof is about as liberal as they come and you can figure that out pretty easily. Yet she is very respectful of the arguments put forth by conservative judges and students. Again, I'm actually surprised at how much respectful discourse there is when we discuss Scalia and Thomas' judicial opinions and in class discussions you get a wide range of opinions. It's pretty cool.

Any top law school is going to have people that run across the entire political spectrum. I have no idea if Baylor is super conservative in the classroom but if it is I have no idea why you would want to be surrounding by just one viewpoint. That would be obnoxious and really adversely affect the learning environment IMO.

cotiger

Postby cotiger » Wed Nov 06, 2013 10:01 pm

Last edited by cotiger on Sun Jan 19, 2014 3:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Attax

Postby Attax » Fri Nov 15, 2013 1:42 pm

As a Texas 0L applying, my consideration goes

UT>SMU>UH>Baylor, but that's because I'm interested in Dallas over Houston work.

That being said, I'm from Northeast Texas around the Marshall area and there are a TON of Baylor grads working out there. I'd say about 50-60% of all the attorneys that I knew at least were from Baylor, many of the judges were Baylor grads. Most of the rest were UT grads who weren't super interested in biglaw.

This has given me a bit of a bias for Baylor, but it still would only be considered by me with a good chunk of money there and no money elsewhere.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”