Cornell vs GULC Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
altoid99

Bronze

Cornell vs GULC

Post by altoid99 » Tue Nov 05, 2013 4:56 pm

Yes, another Cornell vs. GULC. Though very early in the cycle, I feel as though I'll end up choosing between these two schools when it's all said and done (for scholarship reasons, geographic, etc.)

A lot of people seem to be much more pro-Cornell than pro-GULC on TLS. I get why--the employment figures (particularly for BigLaw) are much more impressive on Cornell's end.

I've asked on other threads, but I'll ask here again: are the employment figures that disparate to pick Cornell over GULC in the vast majority of cases? Or could/should factors like aiming for PI/gov't, wanting to live in DC over Ithaca, etc etc. sway one toward GULC?

***One other alternative is to apply ED to Michigan. I've considered this, but I kind of don't want to start over the summer since I already have travel plans and my current lease runs through July. It would just be an extra hassle/more expensive to try and make Summer Start at Michigan work. And I could certainly use some down time over the summer. But if anyone is willing to make a pitch for Michigan ED, I'd be happy to hear. ( I could apply RD but I think the only way I'd get in to Michigan is through ED)

jbagelboy

Diamond

Re: Cornell vs GULC

Post by jbagelboy » Tue Nov 05, 2013 5:05 pm

Probably shouldn't make a choosing thread until you have actual acceptances and CoA values at each school.

I would go to Georgetown if I was committed to working in DC (simply wanting to live there is not sufficient), with the feds, or in public interest, since their LRAP is solid.

I would go to Cornell if I wanted to work in New York, and moreover, if I had strong aspirations of large firm work anywhere (but would be fine with new york)

Crowing

Gold

Post by Crowing » Tue Nov 05, 2013 5:51 pm

GULC's extreme stinginess with scholarships doesn't help endear them to anybody here. Plenty of T6 admits get nothing out of GULC, while Cornell is likely to throw pretty good money to the same people.

BigZuck

Diamond

Post by BigZuck » Tue Nov 05, 2013 6:11 pm

Since this is not a final choice yet (it's not even December yet!) and there are plenty of threads crapping on GULC for you to peruse I think there's not much point to this thread. A quick forum search should get you where you need to be at this point.

Come back when you have real options and real scholarships and the hivemind will happily tell you where to go to school.

Eta: And by "where to go to school" I mean almost certainly a school not named GULC

hephaestus

Gold

Post by hephaestus » Thu Nov 07, 2013 10:55 am

I suspect wanting to live in DC instead of Ithaca is a big reason many people choose GULC in this situation. But look at the employment statistics and it becomes clear which one you can pick. I chose Cornell over GULC because I got money from Cornell and it has way better prospects. It actually was a very easy decision.
Yes, DC is objectively better than ithaca in nearly every way. But that's a bad way to choose schools. And I don't think I would take GULC if I wanted DC big law since it is incredibly competitive (and many choose GULC striving for it). When I was a 0L I was allured by the prospect of DC big law, but chose cornell because for me Biglaw in general > Other work in DC. I didn't want to gamble on being one of the 60-65% that don't get big law at GULC. At Cornell, that number is 30-35%. That's a cavernous difference.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Cicero76

Silver

Post by Cicero76 » Thu Nov 07, 2013 5:50 pm

DC being an awesome city is the main reason I would take GULC over SUNY-Ithaca. That said, GULC is stingyyyyyy

nickb285

Silver

Post by nickb285 » Fri Nov 08, 2013 10:19 pm

Last edited by nickb285 on Thu Jul 13, 2017 1:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

Big Dog

Silver

Post by Big Dog » Sat Nov 09, 2013 2:06 am

^^Also received some decent money from GULC. Not as much as from Cornell, but still not sticker.

Plus, not a fan of NYC, and would not want to settle there. Of all the tours/visits made, I liked GULC the best. (

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Choosing a Law School”