Baylor vs. OU

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
Ti Malice

Re: Baylor vs. OU

Postby Ti Malice » Wed Aug 06, 2014 12:23 am

Baylor is a singularly hellish experience, and OU will not place well in Texas. "Practice-ready at graduation" is a Baylor lie. No law school comes close to preparing people to practice (but some, unlike Baylor, will at least allow you to argue in a real court as a student instead of a "practice court"). Trying to start your own practice right out of law school is a good way to end up committing malpractice, so you need to go somewhere that will give you a good shot at getting hired by someone else. Retake and/or reapply and at least attend SMU or UH, if not a T14 or UT.

patrickd139

Postby patrickd139 » Wed Aug 06, 2014 9:54 am

bronco1769 wrote:Does anyone know what the final choice made here was? It has come down to the wire and I have to decide between either OU or Baylor in the next couple of days. I have been blessed in that I do not have to worry about tuition costs out of the generosity of my family, so despite my scholarships, student loans wouldn't be my focused thought here.

Ultimately, I would like to be a trial lawyer, and Baylor is obviously the best choice among the two. People rave about the Quality of Life at OU and my experience with their faculty, staff, and students has reflected this opinion. Baylor students have been ranked the most competitive and cut-throat in the country. Do Baylor grads even get referrals from their classmates after college or do they all still hate each other?

I have had many discussions with lawyers regarding the importance of networking in law, especially in private practice which I most likely will go into. The major concern is that OU would not provide me with enough contacts if I were to practice in Texas, even though I would most likely develop a better relationship with more of my classmates, simply due to the fact that the majority would practice in Oklahoma.

Does anyone have any thoughts on this choice?

In a vacuum, this is a shockingly easy choice:

Want to have a shot a practicing law in Texas? Go to Baylor.
Want to practice law in Oklahoma? Go to OU.

should-i-do-it

Postby should-i-do-it » Fri Aug 08, 2014 9:46 pm

bronco1769 wrote:Does anyone know what the final choice made here was? It has come down to the wire and I have to decide between either OU or Baylor in the next couple of days. I have been blessed in that I do not have to worry about tuition costs out of the generosity of my family, so despite my scholarships, student loans wouldn't be my focused thought here.

Ultimately, I would like to be a trial lawyer, and Baylor is obviously the best choice among the two. People rave about the Quality of Life at OU and my experience with their faculty, staff, and students has reflected this opinion. Baylor students have been ranked the most competitive and cut-throat in the country. Do Baylor grads even get referrals from their classmates after college or do they all still hate each other?

I have had many discussions with lawyers regarding the importance of networking in law, especially in private practice which I most likely will go into. The major concern is that OU would not provide me with enough contacts if I were to practice in Texas, even though I would most likely develop a better relationship with more of my classmates, simply due to the fact that the majority would practice in Oklahoma.

Does anyone have any thoughts on this choice?

Retake and go to UT bro

Return to “Choosing a Law School”