Baylor vs. OU

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
TheJanitor6203

Re: Baylor vs. OU

Postby TheJanitor6203 » Fri Nov 15, 2013 12:16 am

patrickd139 wrote:Went to OU. Married a BLS alumna. AMA, as long as it's not "should I go to one of these schools if I want to practice in Dallas?".

Also, see the other Baylor thread for how BLS fucks it's spring starters royally when it comes to finding summer employment.

AMA?

patrickd139

Postby patrickd139 » Fri Nov 15, 2013 12:18 am

TheJanitor6203 wrote:
patrickd139 wrote:Went to OU. Married a BLS alumna. AMA, as long as it's not "should I go to one of these schools if I want to practice in Dallas?".

Also, see the other Baylor thread for how BLS fucks it's spring starters royally when it comes to finding summer employment.

AMA?

Welp. That smartass remark didn't work.

AMA = Ask Me Anything

TheJanitor6203

Postby TheJanitor6203 » Fri Nov 15, 2013 12:19 am

Wait. You went to OU and you have a longhorn avatar? Is cause for murder or something?

patrickd139

Postby patrickd139 » Fri Nov 15, 2013 12:20 am

TheJanitor6203 wrote:

Wait. You went to OU and you have a longhorn avatar? Is cause for murder or something?

My self-loathing is pretty well-documented on TLS.

BVest

Postby BVest » Fri Nov 15, 2013 12:40 am

patrickd139 wrote:
TheJanitor6203 wrote:

AMA?

Welp. That smartass remark didn't work.

AMA = Ask Me Anything

Totally worked. TheJanitor asked you a question not related to OU/BLS and Dallas.

Unrelatedly: As I understand it, the OP is now in at SMU.

grungy89

Postby grungy89 » Tue Nov 19, 2013 10:14 pm

TheJanitor6203 wrote:At OU? How was it?

Sorry for the delay, OU was very impressive. They have the biggest mock courtroom I've ever seen and it actually serves as a federal and state court from time to time. I mean when I say it was BIG. The students there seemed congenial, as did every faculty and staff member I met from the Dean of the law school to the admissions staff. The common areas looked inviting and the library looked equally inviting, and had adequate private study rooms. They said that students really only have to share them during reading weeks. Overall, OU left a great impression, but the only mediocre impression I've gotten from a law school has been Texas Wesleyan in Ft. Worth, which was bought by Texas A&M last year and no longer exists.

Kevinlomax

Postby Kevinlomax » Wed Nov 20, 2013 12:46 am

Tom Joad wrote:Decide this Thursday night at 7:30 pm on Fox Sports 1.

this.

oblitigate

Postby oblitigate » Wed Nov 20, 2013 10:09 am

Hey OP,

I practice in Dallas and have a lucrative job. Do not go to Baylor, please. Many firms won't even consider you from there unless you are top 10%.. that's consider you, where the floor begins. Firms go much deeper at the other schools. There is a psychology to how firms pick candidates as well, it's not just who has prettier numbers. Although I'm not a partner, I know damn well that BU is disfavored based partially on the types of students it attracts. It's not the highly competitive kids who want to hit the ground running when they graduate--it's typically those who didn't get into UT, SMU or UH (and chose not to go to TTech because Baptist and Waco girls sounded more fun than the hot little angels that cover TTech's campus).

Note: not a lot of OU applicants, but this is probably even more applicable with OU. Psychologically, think about how an OU grad, prima facie, is perceived in Texas. Go to Texas, SMU or UH. If you want to work in TX, think smart.

TheJanitor6203

Postby TheJanitor6203 » Wed Nov 20, 2013 10:54 am

oblitigate wrote:Hey OP,

I practice in Dallas and have a lucrative job. Do not go to Baylor, please. Many firms won't even consider you from there unless you are top 10%.. that's consider you, where the floor begins. Firms go much deeper at the other schools. There is a psychology to how firms pick candidates as well, it's not just who has prettier numbers. Although I'm not a partner, I know damn well that BU is disfavored based partially on the types of students it attracts. It's not the highly competitive kids who want to hit the ground running when they graduate--it's typically those who didn't get into UT, SMU or UH (and chose not to go to TTech because Baptist and Waco girls sounded more fun than the hot little angels that cover TTech's campus).

Note: not a lot of OU applicants, but this is probably even more applicable with OU. Psychologically, think about how an OU grad, prima facie, is perceived in Texas. Go to Texas, SMU or UH. If you want to work in TX, think smart.

Where in your class would one need to be at TTU to be considered for a job?

grungy89

Postby grungy89 » Wed Nov 20, 2013 12:39 pm

Which did you attend?

Also, am I the only one that hates when people call SMU "Smoo"?

jts723

Postby jts723 » Wed Nov 20, 2013 2:48 pm

grungy89 wrote:

Which did you attend?

Smoo is my preferred pronunciation.

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Wed Nov 20, 2013 2:58 pm

I just call it "the place where dreams go to die."

grungy89

Postby grungy89 » Wed Nov 20, 2013 3:56 pm

kalvano wrote:I just call it "the place where dreams go to die."

I thought you have talked it up in the past. I thought you were the pro-SMU guy.... I thought you were the one...

grungy89

Postby grungy89 » Wed Nov 20, 2013 3:59 pm

jts723 wrote:
grungy89 wrote:

Which did you attend?

Smoo is my preferred pronunciation.

I'l let it slide because of your Uncle Buck avatar

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Wed Nov 20, 2013 9:25 pm

grungy89 wrote:
kalvano wrote:I just call it "the place where dreams go to die."

I thought you have talked it up in the past. I thought you were the pro-SMU guy.... I thought you were the one...

I'm neither pro nor anti SMU. Like most schools not in the T7 (yes, I'm drawing an arbitrary distinction based on half of 14, suck it), it depends on each persons goals and situation.

However, most of the time, the school comes up in "Baylor versus SMU" or something similar, and it's hard not to be positive about SMU in that case. Start a UVA or UT versus SMU thread and it would be different.

grungy89

Postby grungy89 » Mon Dec 02, 2013 12:16 am

If you think that SMU, Baylor, and UofH accept completely different people then YOU probably did not apply to all of them. Also, Houston is like the sweaty armpit of Texas, why does it get so much love? Where did you go?

TheJanitor6203

Postby TheJanitor6203 » Mon Dec 02, 2013 1:42 am

grungy89 wrote:

If you think that SMU, Baylor, and UofH accept completely different people then YOU probably did not apply to all of them. Also, Houston is like the sweaty armpit of Texas, why does it get so much love? Where did you go?

Are you just trying to piss people off?

HYSenberg

Postby HYSenberg » Mon Dec 02, 2013 2:25 am

How far down the class could a UT student be considered at said firms? What about a lower T14 like Michigan?

grungy89

Postby grungy89 » Mon Dec 02, 2013 3:32 am

HYSenberg wrote:

How far down the class could a UT student be considered at said firms? What about a lower T14 like Michigan?

fuhgeddabouddit, the poster won't even answer where they chose to attend

TJISMYHERO

Postby TJISMYHERO » Mon Dec 02, 2013 1:48 pm

grungy89 wrote: fuhgeddabouddit, the poster won't even answer where they chose to attend

Please go to Baylor.

deadpanic

Postby deadpanic » Mon Dec 02, 2013 10:35 pm

TJISMYHERO wrote:
grungy89 wrote: fuhgeddabouddit, the poster won't even answer where they chose to attend

Please go to Baylor.

This guy is a perfect fit for Baylor.

Ti Malice

Postby Ti Malice » Mon Dec 02, 2013 10:38 pm

TJISMYHERO wrote:

Please go to Baylor.

bronco1769

Postby bronco1769 » Tue Aug 05, 2014 6:30 pm

Does anyone know what the final choice made here was? It has come down to the wire and I have to decide between either OU or Baylor in the next couple of days. I have been blessed in that I do not have to worry about tuition costs out of the generosity of my family, so despite my scholarships, student loans wouldn't be my focused thought here.

Ultimately, I would like to be a trial lawyer, and Baylor is obviously the best choice among the two. People rave about the Quality of Life at OU and my experience with their faculty, staff, and students has reflected this opinion. Baylor students have been ranked the most competitive and cut-throat in the country. Do Baylor grads even get referrals from their classmates after college or do they all still hate each other?

I have had many discussions with lawyers regarding the importance of networking in law, especially in private practice which I most likely will go into. The major concern is that OU would not provide me with enough contacts if I were to practice in Texas, even though I would most likely develop a better relationship with more of my classmates, simply due to the fact that the majority would practice in Oklahoma.

Does anyone have any thoughts on this choice?
Last edited by bronco1769 on Tue Aug 05, 2014 10:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ilikebaseball

Postby ilikebaseball » Tue Aug 05, 2014 6:35 pm

bronco1769 wrote:Does anyone know what the final choice made here was? It has come down to the wire and I have to decide between either OU or Baylor in the next couple of days. I have been blessed in that I do not have to worry about tuition costs out of the generosity of my family, so despite my scholarships, student loans wouldn't be my focused thought here.

Litigation is what I ultimately want to go into, and Baylor is obviously the best choice among the two. People rave about the Quality of Life at OU and my experience with their faculty, staff, and students has reflected this opinion. Baylor students have been ranked the most competitive and cut-throat in the country. Do Baylor grads even get referrals from their classmates after college or do they all still hate each other?

I have had many discussions with lawyers regarding the importance of networking in law, especially in private practice which I most likely will go into. The major concern is that OU would not provide me with enough contacts if I were to practice in Texas, even though I would most likely develop a better relationship with more of my classmates, simply due to the fact that the majority would practice in Oklahoma.

FYI, I have heard NOTHING but bad things about baylor. Despite what its ranking is, I have heard horrible things about the quality of life. Not only Waco, but Baylor itself.

I have heard GREAT things about the quality of life about OU. But the employment rates and stuff are only good in oklahoma. Once you cross that border, and you have no connections in TX, you're SOL. So really... the answer youre looking for is SMU

BigZuck

Postby BigZuck » Tue Aug 05, 2014 7:22 pm

bronco1769 wrote:Does anyone know what the final choice made here was? It has come down to the wire and I have to decide between either OU or Baylor in the next couple of days. I have been blessed in that I do not have to worry about tuition costs out of the generosity of my family, so despite my scholarships, student loans wouldn't be my focused thought here.

Litigation is what I ultimately want to go into, and Baylor is obviously the best choice among the two. People rave about the Quality of Life at OU and my experience with their faculty, staff, and students has reflected this opinion. Baylor students have been ranked the most competitive and cut-throat in the country. Do Baylor grads even get referrals from their classmates after college or do they all still hate each other?

What, specifically, about Baylor makes it the obvious best choice if you want to be a litigator.

Unfortunately, even if it does create amazing litigators, a very large percentage of them don't get to become real life lawyers. Because Baylor doesn't have good job placement. It'll be quite difficult to ever find yourself in private practice if you attend either of these schools. And it will be very hard to ever make a lot of money in private practice from either.

If you want to be in TX, Baylor is better than OU just because it's in Texas. But going to Baylor is almost always indefensible. If you really want to be a lawyer in TX, go to UT (or a T14). SMU and UH are also defensible depending on career goals and cost. Although with rich family, better to put that money to its best possible use, meaning UT or a T14. For the most part any other school isn't really worth attending if you want to be a litigator in TX.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”