...

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
Afrolatinoyo
Posts: 6
Joined: Thu Oct 31, 2013 11:08 pm

...

Postby Afrolatinoyo » Thu Oct 31, 2013 11:13 pm

........
Last edited by Afrolatinoyo on Tue Nov 12, 2013 4:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Lacepiece23
Posts: 835
Joined: Thu Oct 27, 2011 1:10 pm

Re: What are my chances ? AA 162 LSAT

Postby Lacepiece23 » Fri Nov 01, 2013 2:44 am

Afrolatinoyo wrote:What are my chances of getting into a t14? Which t14? And what about t30?

162 lsat
3.2 GPA
AA & latino male


I'd say in to at least one t14 probably cornell. You'll get into all the rest of the t30 imo. Could get into some more t14s as apps continue to decline.

Afrolatinoyo
Posts: 6
Joined: Thu Oct 31, 2013 11:08 pm

Re: What are my chances ? AA 162 LSAT

Postby Afrolatinoyo » Fri Nov 01, 2013 10:39 am

No shot at Columbia or UVA?

Informative
Posts: 429
Joined: Mon Apr 05, 2010 6:10 pm

Re: What are my chances ? AA 162 LSAT

Postby Informative » Fri Nov 01, 2013 10:49 am

Apply to all of the T14. You may get lucky with your AA if you are the right kind of latino for purposes of AA (no bonus if European Spanish, Cuban, Argentinian, etc.).

Then apply to the top non-t14 schools (USC/UCLA, BC/BU, GW, ND and Fordham).

You should be able to pull one of the non-T14 and possibly a T14.

Excellent117
Posts: 194
Joined: Fri Dec 23, 2011 4:44 pm

Re: What are my chances ? AA 162 LSAT

Postby Excellent117 » Fri Nov 01, 2013 10:53 am

Do you have any retakes left? If you do, you are selling yourself short by applying with your current numbers and relying on your URM status to get into the T14. With even a 4-5 point increase on your LSAT (though you should aim for a 180), so many more doors will open for you.

FrankieChains
Posts: 13
Joined: Fri Nov 01, 2013 2:46 pm

Re: What are my chances ? AA 162 LSAT

Postby FrankieChains » Fri Nov 01, 2013 2:48 pm

Lower T14 seems very possible to me, depending on resume and such

Afrolatinoyo
Posts: 6
Joined: Thu Oct 31, 2013 11:08 pm

..

Postby Afrolatinoyo » Fri Nov 01, 2013 7:21 pm

.
Last edited by Afrolatinoyo on Tue Nov 12, 2013 4:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

hcrimson2014
Posts: 149
Joined: Thu Oct 17, 2013 1:51 pm

Re: What are my chances ? AA 162 LSAT

Postby hcrimson2014 » Tue Nov 05, 2013 7:12 pm

Afrolatinoyo wrote:Nope , no retakes left,
2 years out of school teaching abroad /volunteer work etc
How much would ED columbia help me ?
I'm Central American/AA


Just report that you are AA without clicking the Latin American box, you will get equal if not greater URM boost and apply to all lower t-14's and UVA is you are in state and you should be in at least one.

Afrolatinoyo
Posts: 6
Joined: Thu Oct 31, 2013 11:08 pm

Re: What are my chances ? AA 162 LSAT

Postby Afrolatinoyo » Wed Nov 06, 2013 10:05 am

Thanks, but why would I get a greater boost by only checking off one box?
Anyways, I already applied but it would be nice to know so I don't go crazy.

User avatar
JustHawkin
Posts: 1753
Joined: Fri Mar 22, 2013 10:54 am

Re: What are my chances ? AA 162 LSAT

Postby JustHawkin » Wed Nov 06, 2013 10:39 am

Not to hijack your thread, but I'm interested in hearing the reasoning behind only checking one box opposed to both?
Does it matter if you answer differently (checking one box or checking both) from school to school seeing as it's voluntary?

californiauser
Posts: 1183
Joined: Sun Jul 01, 2012 1:10 am

Re: What are my chances ? AA 162 LSAT

Postby californiauser » Wed Nov 06, 2013 12:39 pm

JustHawkin wrote:Not to hijack your thread, but I'm interested in hearing the reasoning behind only checking one box opposed to both?
Does it matter if you answer differently (checking one box or checking both) from school to school seeing as it's voluntary?


Don't do that. Check what you are. The poster above is giving terrible advice.

User avatar
jbagelboy
Posts: 9641
Joined: Thu Nov 29, 2012 7:57 pm

Re: What are my chances ? AA 162 LSAT

Postby jbagelboy » Wed Nov 06, 2013 1:49 pm

Afrolatinoyo wrote:Nope , no retakes left,
2 years out of school teaching abroad /volunteer work etc
How much would ED columbia help me ?
I'm Central American/AA


You wont get columbia. ED provides no boost

ED UVA or apply broadly RD and expect admission to a lower T14 or T20.

californiauser
Posts: 1183
Joined: Sun Jul 01, 2012 1:10 am

Re: What are my chances ? AA 162 LSAT

Postby californiauser » Wed Nov 06, 2013 2:05 pm

jbagelboy wrote:
Afrolatinoyo wrote:Nope , no retakes left,
2 years out of school teaching abroad /volunteer work etc
How much would ED columbia help me ?
I'm Central American/AA


You wont get columbia. ED provides no boost
ED UVA or apply broadly RD and expect admission to a lower T14 or T20.


There is no data for URMs that confirms this.

User avatar
jbagelboy
Posts: 9641
Joined: Thu Nov 29, 2012 7:57 pm

Re: What are my chances ? AA 162 LSAT

Postby jbagelboy » Wed Nov 06, 2013 2:13 pm

californiauser wrote:
jbagelboy wrote:
Afrolatinoyo wrote:Nope , no retakes left,
2 years out of school teaching abroad /volunteer work etc
How much would ED columbia help me ?
I'm Central American/AA


You wont get columbia. ED provides no boost
ED UVA or apply broadly RD and expect admission to a lower T14 or T20.


There is no data for URMs that confirms this.


There is data to confirm that not a single URM with sub-163/sub-3.3 has been admitted to CLS either ED or RD in the past three cycles, whereas plenty have been rejected or reserved.

californiauser
Posts: 1183
Joined: Sun Jul 01, 2012 1:10 am

Re: What are my chances ? AA 162 LSAT

Postby californiauser » Wed Nov 06, 2013 2:24 pm

jbagelboy wrote:
californiauser wrote:
jbagelboy wrote:
Afrolatinoyo wrote:Nope , no retakes left,
2 years out of school teaching abroad /volunteer work etc
How much would ED columbia help me ?
I'm Central American/AA


You wont get columbia. ED provides no boost
ED UVA or apply broadly RD and expect admission to a lower T14 or T20.


There is no data for URMs that confirms this.


There is data to confirm that not a single URM with sub-163/sub-3.3 has been admitted to CLS either ED or RD in the past three cycles, whereas plenty have been rejected or reserved.


I don't think OP has a shot at Columbia, but it's not because ED offers no boost.

Samuel Patane
Posts: 9
Joined: Wed Nov 06, 2013 6:24 pm

Re: What are my chances ? AA 162 LSAT

Postby Samuel Patane » Wed Nov 06, 2013 6:28 pm

I'm not sure if I see Columbia as realistic but I do think the lower t14 may be an option.

User avatar
bizzybone1313
Posts: 996
Joined: Wed Jul 11, 2012 4:31 pm

Re: What are my chances ? AA 162 LSAT

Postby bizzybone1313 » Wed Nov 06, 2013 6:53 pm

Based on the data I have seen, Columbia is one of the most unfriendly URM schools out there. I don't know where you guys are getting this info that suggests OP has a chance at Columbia. He or she barely has a chance at T-14 skools.

User avatar
jbagelboy
Posts: 9641
Joined: Thu Nov 29, 2012 7:57 pm

Re: What are my chances ? AA 162 LSAT

Postby jbagelboy » Wed Nov 06, 2013 7:39 pm

bizzybone1313 wrote:Based on the data I have seen, Columbia is one of the most unfriendly URM schools out there. I don't know where you guys are getting this info that suggests OP has a chance at Columbia. He or she barely has a chance at T-14 skools.


Columbia is just as friendly towards URMs as any other top school. "Friendly" means substantial float in GPA and LSAT. Just doesnt mean 10 pts of float

Afrolatinoyo
Posts: 6
Joined: Thu Oct 31, 2013 11:08 pm

Re: What are my chances ? AA 162 LSAT

Postby Afrolatinoyo » Wed Nov 06, 2013 9:54 pm

What data are you guys referring to?

User avatar
JustHawkin
Posts: 1753
Joined: Fri Mar 22, 2013 10:54 am

Re: What are my chances ? AA 162 LSAT

Postby JustHawkin » Thu Nov 07, 2013 11:37 am

jbagelboy wrote:
bizzybone1313 wrote:Based on the data I have seen, Columbia is one of the most unfriendly URM schools out there. I don't know where you guys are getting this info that suggests OP has a chance at Columbia. He or she barely has a chance at T-14 skools.


Columbia is just as friendly towards URMs as any other top school. "Friendly" means substantial float in GPA and LSAT. Just doesnt mean 10 pts of float

Define substantial please.

californiauser
Posts: 1183
Joined: Sun Jul 01, 2012 1:10 am

Re: What are my chances ? AA 162 LSAT

Postby californiauser » Thu Nov 07, 2013 12:48 pm

JustHawkin wrote:
jbagelboy wrote:
bizzybone1313 wrote:Based on the data I have seen, Columbia is one of the most unfriendly URM schools out there. I don't know where you guys are getting this info that suggests OP has a chance at Columbia. He or she barely has a chance at T-14 skools.


Columbia is just as friendly towards URMs as any other top school. "Friendly" means substantial float in GPA and LSAT. Just doesnt mean 10 pts of float

Define substantial please.


3.4+ 164+ AA URM it pretty much a lock for CLS. That would fall under substantial.

User avatar
JustHawkin
Posts: 1753
Joined: Fri Mar 22, 2013 10:54 am

Re: What are my chances ? AA 162 LSAT

Postby JustHawkin » Thu Nov 07, 2013 12:56 pm

californiauser wrote:
JustHawkin wrote:
jbagelboy wrote:
bizzybone1313 wrote:Based on the data I have seen, Columbia is one of the most unfriendly URM schools out there. I don't know where you guys are getting this info that suggests OP has a chance at Columbia. He or she barely has a chance at T-14 skools.


Columbia is just as friendly towards URMs as any other top school. "Friendly" means substantial float in GPA and LSAT. Just doesnt mean 10 pts of float

Define substantial please.


3.4+ 164+ AA URM it pretty much a lock for CLS. That would fall under substantial.

So you would say theres ~5 LSAT points of float for certain URM's at T14?
Just curious...




Return to “Choosing a Law School”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: addie1412, carlos_danger, shadowfax, Yahoo [Bot] and 5 guests