Choosing a school based on their public interest program? Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
linkx13

Bronze

Choosing a school based on their public interest program?

Post by linkx13 » Thu Oct 31, 2013 7:01 pm

Hey all. I wanted to get a thread started for those of us sincerely dedicated to public interest work. My basic game plan is going to the best school for the most money I can, but I wanted to cover other criteria and see how other people were trying to frame the question of where to go:

1. Jobs and Fellowships
- What good is an education if you don't have a job? I look at job figures/placements and I look at the kinds of fellowships available through the school that will give me the necessary experience to stand a better chance of getting those jobs

2. Loan Forgiveness/Repayment Programs
- These are extremely important and vary by the school. I basically will not go to a school that doesn't have a good program unless they offered a very generous scholarship

3. Peers
- This, at least for me, is extremely important. I want to really feel like there is a large public interest presence in the university with enough people who have similar goals and passions in public interest law.

4. Clinics
- similar to fellowships, these are extremely interesting and can help to figure out an area of interest and additional resume ammo for jobs

5. Faculty
- Good teachers are a necessity and play crucial roles in university centers. Self-explanatory.

What do you guys think? Have you found a site that compiles these kinds of things? Anything to add?

BigZuck

Diamond

Re: Choosing a school based on their public interest program?

Post by BigZuck » Fri Nov 01, 2013 12:50 am

How do you see this thread developing? I'm not trying to troll you, I'm honestly curious as to what you think people should be saying/adding ITT

rad lulz

Platinum

Post by rad lulz » Fri Nov 01, 2013 12:52 am

Just do Yale bro

BigZuck

Diamond

Post by BigZuck » Fri Nov 01, 2013 12:54 am

rad lulz wrote:Just do Yale bro
This was my initial reaction but I wanted to give the OP another chance before I snarked him to death.

BeautifulSW

Silver

Post by BeautifulSW » Fri Nov 01, 2013 12:18 pm

Georgetown, maybe? Easier to get into than HYS and the school at least CLAIMS to be public interest oriented.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Danger Zone

Platinum

Post by Danger Zone » Fri Nov 01, 2013 12:20 pm

BeautifulSW wrote:Georgetown, maybe? Easier to get into than HYS and the school at least CLAIMS to be public interest oriented.
Also the most expensive school and a fucking diploma mill.

linkx13

Bronze

Post by linkx13 » Fri Nov 01, 2013 1:14 pm

BigZuck wrote:
rad lulz wrote:Just do Yale bro
This was my initial reaction but I wanted to give the OP another chance before I snarked him to death.
I hear you, but since Yale isn't an option for most people and there will likely be several schools to choose from this cycle, these factors are important to me.

linkx13

Bronze

Post by linkx13 » Fri Nov 01, 2013 1:14 pm

Danger Zone wrote:
BeautifulSW wrote:Georgetown, maybe? Easier to get into than HYS and the school at least CLAIMS to be public interest oriented.
LRAP and scholarship funds can handle that. Keep in mind this thread is assuming the applicant is set on a career in public interest.

Danger Zone

Platinum

Post by Danger Zone » Fri Nov 01, 2013 1:16 pm

linkx13 wrote:
Danger Zone wrote:
LRAP and scholarship funds can handle that. Keep in mind this thread is assuming the applicant is set on a career in public interest.
$270k in debt? LRAP and schollies can handle that! Don't worry about your $40k /yr jerb that you may or may not even get.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Bronx Bum

Bronze

Post by Bronx Bum » Fri Nov 01, 2013 1:20 pm

Danger Zone wrote:
linkx13 wrote:
Danger Zone wrote:
$270k in debt? LRAP and schollies can handle that! Don't worry about your $40k /yr jerb that you may or may not even get.
TCR. 0Ls don't realize that these "public interest" jobs are almost impossible. I have IRL work experience in something that a government jerb paying $50k in NYC was looking for, I then worked for a firm that specializes in that work, I HAVE AN OFFER IN HAND from that firm, and the government jerb didn't even interview me.

linkx13

Bronze

Post by linkx13 » Fri Nov 01, 2013 1:31 pm

Danger Zone wrote:
linkx13 wrote:
Danger Zone wrote:
You're assuming you're paying sticker (and 270 is an assumption that is way higher than what one could reasonably do). I'm assuming not. His/her original post didn't specify, so I hear you, but to act like GLUC is a dead end is stupid.

Danger Zone

Platinum

Post by Danger Zone » Fri Nov 01, 2013 1:33 pm

Thank you for your insight, good sir. Could this possibly be skewing your perspective?

Anyway, I would advise the OP to disregard comments from people who have not even started law school yet. Thank you again, have a pleasant afternoon.

linkx13

Bronze

Post by linkx13 » Fri Nov 01, 2013 1:35 pm

Bronx Bum wrote:
TCR. 0Ls don't realize that these "public interest" jobs are almost impossible. I have IRL work experience in something that a government jerb paying $50k in NYC was looking for, I then worked for a firm that specializes in that work, I HAVE AN OFFER IN HAND from that firm, and the government jerb didn't even interview me.
Again, hear you, but I really don't want to get bogged down in individual stories.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Ti Malice

Gold

Post by Ti Malice » Fri Nov 01, 2013 1:38 pm

linkx13 wrote:
Danger Zone wrote:
GULC's LRAP is not very good. The entry window means qualifying for the program is not necessarily easy, and it wouldn't be difficult to permanently lose eligibility. Then you're screwed.
Last edited by Ti Malice on Fri Nov 01, 2013 1:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

linkx13

Bronze

Post by linkx13 » Fri Nov 01, 2013 1:39 pm

Danger Zone wrote:Thank you for your insight, good sir. Could this possibly be skewing your perspective?

Anyway, I would advise the OP to disregard comments from people who have not even started law school yet. Thank you again, have a pleasant afternoon.
Congrats on being able to look at posting history.

No, I don't think it is at all. For some one apparently so qualified (have you even finished school yet?), you assume a lot of things. I wouldn't go to GLUC without some form of aid. Does that make you happy?

Jeez, you really need to lay off the internet and calm those 2,507 posts down. Not that serious, bro.

Danger Zone

Platinum

Post by Danger Zone » Fri Nov 01, 2013 1:48 pm

linkx13 wrote:Congrats on being able to look at posting history.

No, I don't think it is at all. For some one apparently so qualified (have you even finished school yet?), you assume a lot of things. I wouldn't go to GLUC without some form of aid. Does that make you happy?

Jeez, you really need to lay off the internet and calm those 2,507 posts down. Not that serious, bro.
Now sir, I say, now sir! I have been nothing but respectful, and I demand that you apologize for this slight against my megapoasting.

But srsly, why did you come for advice if all you really wanted was for us to pat you on the back for getting into GULC?

linkx13

Bronze

Post by linkx13 » Fri Nov 01, 2013 2:02 pm

Danger Zone wrote:
linkx13 wrote:Congrats on being able to look at posting history.

Now sir, I say, now sir! I have been nothing but respectful, and I demand that you apologize for this slight against my megapoasting.

But srsly, why did you come for advice if all you really wanted was for us to pat you on the back for getting into GULC?
Just as soon as you apologize for basically saying I can't look at the debt from Georgetown realistically and making a bunch of assumptions about me :P

Also, again, I didn't start this thread about that. If you want to see why I started this thread, check out my initial post. I meant it as honestly as it shows there, I made my concerns about money very clear, and I never mentioned GULC or any other acceptance I've received. Good day as well, sir.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

guano

Gold

Post by guano » Fri Nov 01, 2013 2:17 pm

linkx13 wrote:I didn't start this thread
Au contraire

timbs4339

Gold

Post by timbs4339 » Fri Nov 01, 2013 2:36 pm

The idea of a public interest oriented T14 school is flame. There are plenty of "public interest" organizations at any school. Because the professors and deans all lean progressive their voices are going to be amplified. And at even the T14s known for being progressive, the vast majority of students go into the private sector after graduation.

The best thing to do would be to go to school for low debt and to go in a city where there are a lot of internships available so you can start to build a resume in whatever area you're focused on.

longhorn89

New

Post by longhorn89 » Fri Nov 01, 2013 9:23 pm

I just wanted to put a plug in for UT Law.

1. Jobs & Fellowships: I don't have stats, but you are in the capitol city of a huge state so there are loads of state government jobs, federal government outposts, and nonprofits. Texas Law Fellowships has fully funded every summer intern who applied for at least the past few years. Also, they have the Long Fellowships (I think formally called "Long Career Launch" which funds students for working for government and nonprofit organizations while waiting for bar results, so you don't have to be broke during that weird down time just because you aren't working for big law. Also, there's a public service career fair separate from OCI that law school students all over Texas come to UT for.

2. Loan Forgiveness: LRAP is all I know about and that's for people from any school..

3. Peers: It's a big school, so there's a little bit of everything. Of course there are people that want to work in Houston for oil companies, but there are plenty of public interest oriented people too, and my classmates never made me feel like I was somehow not as prestigious/qualified because I won't be working for biglaw.

4. Clinics - 17 of them, as well as tons of pro bono opportunities and a trip to the Rio Grande Valley every January for pro bono

5. Faculty - I think this depends on your area of interest, but with all of the clinics, government agencies, and nonprofits in the city there are plenty of adjuncts with great connections

BigZuck

Diamond

Post by BigZuck » Fri Nov 01, 2013 9:36 pm

longhorn89 wrote:I just wanted to put a plug in for UT Law.

1. Jobs & Fellowships: I don't have stats, but you are in the capitol city of a huge state so there are loads of state government jobs, federal government outposts, and nonprofits. Texas Law Fellowships has fully funded every summer intern who applied for at least the past few years. Also, they have the Long Fellowships (I think formally called "Long Career Launch" which funds students for working for government and nonprofit organizations while waiting for bar results, so you don't have to be broke during that weird down time just because you aren't working for big law. Also, there's a public service career fair separate from OCI that law school students all over Texas come to UT for.

2. Loan Forgiveness: LRAP is all I know about and that's for people from any school..

3. Peers: It's a big school, so there's a little bit of everything. Of course there are people that want to work in Houston for oil companies, but there are plenty of public interest oriented people too, and my classmates never made me feel like I was somehow not as prestigious/qualified because I won't be working for biglaw.

4. Clinics - 17 of them, as well as tons of pro bono opportunities and a trip to the Rio Grande Valley every January for pro bono

5. Faculty - I think this depends on your area of interest, but with all of the clinics, government agencies, and nonprofits in the city there are plenty of adjuncts with great connections
I'm not sure that the OP is from Texas

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Lincoln

Silver

Post by Lincoln » Fri Nov 01, 2013 10:28 pm

The problem with any sort of compiled statistics on public interest jobs is that unlike firm jobs, they are much more dependent on individual characteristics, as opposed to school characteristics. Especially non-government jobs are highly dependent on personal contacts, a demonstrated interest in the "cause", and pre-law school work experience with the community the organization is targeting.

mr. wednesday

Bronze

Post by mr. wednesday » Sat Nov 02, 2013 12:55 am

Faculty and clinics are not differentiating factors among t14 or so schools, and most lrap programs are now folded into IBR which make them a lot less necessary and helpful. Basically HYS is still your best bet, and if not those three, don't pay sticker anywhere.

worldtraveler

Platinum

Post by worldtraveler » Tue Nov 05, 2013 7:18 pm

Either go for free, or go to a school that offers post-graduate fellowships. I 100% would not recommend doing any other option, because it is that difficult to get a paying public interest job.

Lord Randolph McDuff

Gold

Post by Lord Randolph McDuff » Fri Nov 08, 2013 2:52 pm

OP- Define public interest?

Do you want to work for feds? Do you want to be a public defender? Some enviro non-profit? Wut.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”