Best T14 for Working in Boston Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
sah

New

Best T14 for Working in Boston

Post by sah » Thu Oct 31, 2013 12:56 pm

What are the best T14 schools to go to if you want to work in Boston? I'm a 3.9/174. Obviously Harvard but I doubt they will give me much scholarship money even if I get in; BU and BC seem too low-ranked for me to bother with my numbers.

I'd like to go to mid-lower T14 w/ good money if possible. Boston/DC are top choices. Then probably Chicago. I'd rather not NY.

ph14

Gold

Re: Best T14 for Working in Boston

Post by ph14 » Thu Oct 31, 2013 12:58 pm

sah wrote:What are the best T14 schools to go to if you want to work in Boston? I'm a 3.9/174. Obviously Harvard but I doubt they will give me much scholarship money even if I get in; BU and BC seem too low-ranked for me to bother with my numbers.

I'd like to go to mid-lower T14 w/ good money if possible. Boston/DC are top choices. Then probably Chicago. I'd rather not NY.
Probably northeast schools. Columbia, Penn, etc.

Gold

Post by 04102014 » Thu Oct 31, 2013 1:02 pm

ph14 wrote:
sah wrote:What are the best T14 schools to go to if you want to work in Boston? I'm a 3.9/174. Obviously Harvard but I doubt they will give me much scholarship money even if I get in; BU and BC seem too low-ranked for me to bother with my numbers.

Probably northeast schools. Columbia, Penn, etc.
I've heard that most of the top Boston firms recruit at UVA, which isn't necessarily true of other T14s.

twenty

Gold

Post by twenty » Thu Oct 31, 2013 1:30 pm

The good news is, Boston is a highly ties-driven market that's fairly straight forward to bid into if you have have good grades at a T14. The bad news is, there's no one "feeder school" for the region like Penn and UVA are (for Philly and the south respectively)

I'd probably avoid Berkeley, Northwestern, and GULC. But even from there you shouldn't have too much difficulty if you have ties and decent grades.

sah

New

Post by sah » Thu Oct 31, 2013 1:57 pm

[Deleted]
Last edited by sah on Sat Nov 16, 2013 2:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

BruceWayne

Gold

Post by BruceWayne » Thu Oct 31, 2013 2:17 pm

The few people I knew at UVA from that area who wanted to go back had no problems doing so. That is not something that I can say about many markets. They seem to be one of the few markets left that puts more stock in ties than grades for someone from the area who attended a top school.

Otunga

Silver

Post by Otunga » Thu Oct 31, 2013 2:44 pm

I've also been interested in this, OP. I've got a 3.9 and will be retaking in Dec for 170s. I think I'd like to stay in Massachusetts and possibly would work in Boston, but a BU/BC full ride (or close to it) for their 65% employment is still not that appetizing. Aside from H, it appears UVA and maybe a Penn or Cornell makes the most sense for people debt-averse in our situation.

hephaestus

Gold

Post by hephaestus » Thu Oct 31, 2013 2:47 pm

Its probably not the "Best" T14 for working in Boston, but Cornell does do a recruiting fair in Boston that all the major firms came to (between that and our normal recruiting). People with solid ties seemed to have no trouble.

Gold

Post by 04102014 » Thu Oct 31, 2013 3:02 pm

Would you guys say that TCR is to choose a mid-lower T14 at sticker over BU/BC with good $$?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

stillwater

Gold

Post by stillwater » Thu Oct 31, 2013 3:06 pm

sah wrote:Interesting. I'm originally from CT, outside of Hartford, but no ties directly to Boston. Ties to New England, I guess. Would that count as ties?
New England is ties to Boston. Boston is the de facto capital of the region.

Otunga

Silver

Post by Otunga » Thu Oct 31, 2013 10:54 pm

For someone without lofty aspirations (prestigious clerkship, professorship etc.) that wants work in Boston and has ties, H at sticker appears like a crazy choice if you can get money at the mid/lower t14. No?

stillwater

Gold

Post by stillwater » Thu Oct 31, 2013 11:01 pm

Otunga wrote:For someone without lofty aspirations (prestigious clerkship, professorship etc.) that wants work in Boston and has ties, H at sticker appears like a crazy choice if you can get money at the mid/lower t14. No?
H gives need-aid, which is something to consider as well.

Otunga

Silver

Post by Otunga » Thu Oct 31, 2013 11:08 pm

stillwater wrote:
Otunga wrote:For someone without lofty aspirations (prestigious clerkship, professorship etc.) that wants work in Boston and has ties, H at sticker appears like a crazy choice if you can get money at the mid/lower t14. No?
Right. I guess I was just assuming little need-based aid, if UG is anything to go by.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

stillwater

Gold

Post by stillwater » Thu Oct 31, 2013 11:11 pm

Otunga wrote:
stillwater wrote:
Right. I guess I was just assuming little need-based aid, if UG is anything to go by.
its complicated calculus but some money at lower T14 is probably not worth what YHS would give you in need, given the huge increases in chances for gainful employment.

Otunga

Silver

Post by Otunga » Thu Oct 31, 2013 11:19 pm

I see. It's purely hypothetical of course, since my chances at HYS are 0 with current LSAT.

Nelson

Gold

Post by Nelson » Fri Nov 01, 2013 12:51 am

Just go to Harvard.

Informative

Bronze

Post by Informative » Fri Nov 01, 2013 9:37 am

The east coast T-14 will give you great shot at Boston biglaw.

If you're dead set on Boston, Harvard and BC typically have the best placement stats in Boston biglaw, likely by law student preference. But any of the T-14 will give you a good shot, particularly those on the east coast.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

stillwater

Gold

Post by stillwater » Fri Nov 01, 2013 11:06 am

Informative wrote:The east coast T-14 will give you great shot at Boston biglaw.

If you're dead set on Boston, Harvard and BC typically have the best placement stats in Boston biglaw, likely by law student preference. But any of the T-14 will give you a good shot, particularly those on the east coast.
LOL at Informative. Rising again to troll for BC.

Blindmelon

Gold

Post by Blindmelon » Fri Nov 01, 2013 1:20 pm

From an associate in Boston:

Y/S > H >>>>> UVA/Chicago/Cornell/Columbia/Penn (no one cares about these gradations really, median students at any shouldn't have trouble in Boston) > Other T14s (other schools don't have big alumni network in Boston) >> BC/BU >>> other schools.

I would easily take BC/BU $$ over the schools not listed for Boston. H is the gold standard, Y grads are like unicorns here, but firms want them. UVA has a huge alumni network and is probably the best connected Boston school after H/BU/BC.

Ti Malice

Gold

Post by Ti Malice » Fri Nov 01, 2013 1:32 pm

stillwater wrote:
Informative wrote:The east coast T-14 will give you great shot at Boston biglaw.

LOL at Informative. Rising again to troll for BC.
Seriously. Most inapt username ever.

jacksonmead

New

Post by jacksonmead » Fri Nov 01, 2013 1:44 pm

I'm going to Boston from UVA. I think it's pretty doable IF you have good grades. I would imagine it's pretty similar from other t14s. I think you definitely want to be top third to have a good shot. even the less prestigious firms in boston are kind of grade snobby.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Nelson

Gold

Post by Nelson » Fri Nov 01, 2013 2:43 pm

Blindmelon wrote: UVA/Chicago/Cornell/Columbia/Penn (no one cares about these gradations really, median students at any shouldn't have trouble in Boston)
Considering that some median students at those schools will struggle in NYC, I doubt "shouldn't have trouble" is an accurate description of how it would go in Boston.

jbagelboy

Diamond

Post by jbagelboy » Fri Nov 01, 2013 3:13 pm

Nelson wrote:
Blindmelon wrote: UVA/Chicago/Cornell/Columbia/Penn (no one cares about these gradations really, median students at any shouldn't have trouble in Boston)
Considering that some median students at those schools will struggle in NYC, I doubt "shouldn't have trouble" is an accurate description of how it would go in Boston.
would you really say median at chicago and columbia "struggle" for NYC? that's not the impression I received watching EIP

Tiago Splitter

Diamond

Post by Tiago Splitter » Fri Nov 01, 2013 4:13 pm

jbagelboy wrote:
Nelson wrote:
would you really say median at chicago and columbia "struggle" for NYC? that's not the impression I received watching EIP
Most people around median will do just fine but some of them will have to hustle pretty hard for just one offer. I think his point isn't that a lot of median students won't get anything, just that it might not be a cakewalk even in the easiest market.

Otunga

Silver

Post by Otunga » Fri Nov 01, 2013 5:35 pm

Blindmelon wrote:From an associate in Boston:

Y/S > H >>>>> UVA/Chicago/Cornell/Columbia/Penn (no one cares about these gradations really, median students at any shouldn't have trouble in Boston) > Other T14s (other schools don't have big alumni network in Boston) >> BC/BU >>> other schools.

I would easily take BC/BU $$ over the schools not listed for Boston. H is the gold standard, Y grads are like unicorns here, but firms want them. UVA has a huge alumni network and is probably the best connected Boston school after H/BU/BC.
Interesting that UVA is the non-HYS winner here. You'd think it'd be another northeastern t14.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”