U of Iowa...

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Re: U of Iowa...

Postby californiauser » Tue Nov 05, 2013 6:02 pm

typ3 wrote:I'm not going to say that I know with absolute certainty that the numbers are greatly inflated and the administration is fudging them. It is my opinion that is has been implied directly to staff in the CSO that they need to hit 85% employment this year or heads are going to roll in the office and there may be some misreporting on their part- I'll let an ABA audit whenever it happens be the final say.

It is also my opinion that the foundation board and and state legislature has talked directly to the administration about their abysmal numbers. It is also my opinion that the dean and administration claimed they planned for 94 students to matriculate this year despite the school running a huge budget deficit and the numbers being lower than the class sizes in the 1930's/40's. It is also my opinion that the law school has hired outside consultants that have visited the school on numerous occasions to fix the application problem. It is also my opinion that the law school is overhauling the interior of the school at the suggestion of the consultants to get more students to attend. It is also my opinion that these consultants were at the school last week. It is also my opinion that the law school has now resorted to soliciting scholarship students to panhandle to get money for the school to meet their $50mm campaign. It is also my opinion that the law school administration and faculty has recruited IP students to go to engineering and science career fairs to recruit on behalf of the law school to fill their seats.

All of this is my opinion simply because I know the school trolls this forum and I would hate for any of my comments to be taken as anything more than hearsay for fear of a defamation suit. (It is my opinion that the school is struggling for revenue whether by crook or hook.)

That being said, there are a lot easier ways to make $ as an MBA practically any other profession in Nebraska/ South Dakota /North Dakota that are having huge investment / construction booms.

Shots fired. Wow.

Postby cotiger » Tue Nov 05, 2013 7:02 pm

californiauser wrote:Shots fired. Wow.

Seriously. I was expecting something along the lines of "Well, of course they're fudging, because, well.. duh!"

That post was quite, uh, detailed.

Postby chrisbru » Thu Dec 19, 2013 4:56 pm

Ti Malice wrote:
RLowry23 wrote:What is the big beef with Iowa?

The craziest (not in a good way) person to ever post on this site is currently a 1L at Iowa, assuming she hasn't flamed out in spectacular fashion yet. I guess you can decide if that's a positive or a negative.

It's really a wash, to be honest.

RLowry23 wrote:I would, hypothetically, be going from out of state. No problem working in Iowa and big law is not my goal. Would it still make sense?

There are probably better options for you.

sublime wrote:Their incoming class this year dropping below 100 was kind of concerning. As others have said, I would be VERY hesitant to go to Iowa without ties.

The drop is temporary, I think. Cutting down tuition and changing the scholarship stipulations should help Iowa recover pretty well.

typ3 wrote:You won't get a job even with ties. There are lots of 3Ls at Iowa with ties to the state that are top 25% that are striking out everywhere for jobs.

Flat out, legal jobs are hard as hell to get in this economy and Iowa gives you no boost for employment even in Des Moines.

Also, the reported employment numbers are a flame and are greatly inflated from what I know first hand of last years class and what career services even tells their students. I know one student who was top in their engineering class as in #1/300 and top 5 in our class struggled to find employment in secondary markets.

TLDR: Skip Iowa. The JD from there isn't worth the paper that it's written on.

You hate all law degrees.

Anecdotal evidence isn't that useful. That "one student" you talk about would probably do fine if he/she expanded his/her search. The fact of the matter is that about 40% of the 3L class (2014) already has accepted full-time, JD required offers starting post-bar. So, Iowa is doing just as well as its peer schools.

Crowing wrote:Right--This was I think a major reason for the disapproval on this site. I think they only started throwing out that stipulation partway through last cycle when it became clear that their enrollment was in trouble.

The current 1L class is the only one that has the no-stip scholarship, which is really great. There is also the coming benefit of (most likely, it has to have final approval still) no bar exam needed for licensure in Iowa if you graduate from Iowa/Drake, like Wisconsin does. Iowa is also changing to UBE, and its pretty cheap to take the bar here including study programs, unless that changes because of the UBE thing. Barbri is like $1200.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”