Who is the most generous school based on my numbers? Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
mitch1010

New

Who is the most generous school based on my numbers?

Post by mitch1010 » Sun Oct 27, 2013 1:25 am

I'm an international student without LSDAS GPA, but according to my transcript, my GPA is 3.82/4.0, LSAC graded me as "Superior", and my LSAT score is 177.
I'm thinking about ED NU since it can give me $50,000 per year if I got admitted, but NU is not really my top choice, I still wish getting into schools better than that. But money is a BIG issue for me, so is there any chance I could get full grant from other schools? Or are there any school who is particularly generous? Thanks a lot!

jk148706

Gold

Re: Who is the most generous school based on my numbers?

Post by jk148706 » Sun Oct 27, 2013 2:02 am

mitch1010 wrote:I'm an international student without LSDAS GPA, but according to my transcript, my GPA is 3.82/4.0, LSAC graded me as "Superior", and my LSAT score is 177.
I'm thinking about ED NU since it can give me $50,000 per year if I got admitted, but NU is not really my top choice, I still wish getting into schools better than that. But money is a BIG issue for me, so is there any chance I could get full grant from other schools? Or are there any school who is particularly generous? Thanks a lot!
Dood. Wit dem #s there are a lot of skools wit $$$ for u

cotiger

Gold

Post by cotiger » Sun Oct 27, 2013 7:05 am

You'll get good money at better schools than Northwestern with those numbers. Apply to all T14 (get fee waivers!). You most likely won't match that $150k from anywhere else, though you still have a good chance to be offered it from Northwestern in RD (or at least $120k). HYS give big need-based aid.

Here's a thread you'll be interested in, regarding full-tuition scholarships: http://top-law-schools.com/forums/viewt ... 5&t=144338

mitch1010

New

Post by mitch1010 » Sun Oct 27, 2013 7:13 am

cotiger wrote:You'll get good money at better schools than Northwestern with those numbers. Apply to all T14 (get fee waivers!). You most likely won't match that $150k from anywhere else, though you still have a good chance to be offered it from Northwestern in RD (or at least $120k). HYS give big need-based aid.

Here's a thread you'll be interested in, regarding full-tuition scholarships: http://top-law-schools.com/forums/viewt ... 5&t=144338
Thanks a lot! I'm thinking about CLS Hamilton and UMich Darrow. But it seems that Hamilton seldom gives full grant to international students.. NYU seems pretty generous, offering a wide range of scholarships.. Anyway, I have like 10 more days to think whether I should ED NU or not.. thanks again!

sinfiery

Gold

Post by sinfiery » Sun Oct 27, 2013 3:12 pm

If you have no stellar softs:
Duke/UVA will give you 120k because only numbers matter for scholarships or yield protect you
UPenn the same but slightly more stingy

NU likely = 150k

Michigan/Cornell/Gtown will offer you potential full rides if you have strong softs, if not you will either be yield protected or given a full ride

Boalt isn't giving you shit

NYU will give you a full ride if your softs fit under a particular category of named scholarships they have, likely 50-100k otherwise but with no named scholarship
CLS will give you a full ride if you have absurd softs, a half ride with great softs, and likely 50-100k otherwise but with no named scholarship

Your GPA isn't high enough to warrant full rides at CCN or VP

HLS is your target school, if money matters to you more than most people, I'd take ED NU and take the uncertainty out of things, especially as you are an international applicant. Apply everywhere regardless even if you ED NU.

Note:
If they don't get to report your 3.82, and it just shows up as superior, which may be the case, scholarship money will likely depend far more on your softs at ALL of these schools. If this is the case, you should most definitely apply everywhere and ED NU.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

jbagelboy

Diamond

Post by jbagelboy » Sun Oct 27, 2013 5:17 pm

For international students who cant get third party loans (and arent absurdly wealthy), the choices for US law schools will be either 1) those where you can get a full ride (and find private lenders for CoL), or 2) those that provide institutional loans.

1) Since you won't have a US GPA, getting a full ride at a T14 may be challenging: they reserve those for candidates who will boost 75ths (and consequently, medians) in both categories, or as sinfiery pointed out, who have an extracurricular or work experience that is notable enough to be unique and advertisable.

2) Harvard and Columbia will give you institutional loans, and others may too (for Columbia, you will need a US cosigner). If you hit these top schools, which you should, the school has ways to provide institutional funding. Harvard is your best bet since it has by far the largest endowment and most flexibility.

mitch1010

New

Post by mitch1010 » Mon Oct 28, 2013 10:04 am

sinfiery wrote:If you have no stellar softs:
Duke/UVA will give you 120k because only numbers matter for scholarships or yield protect you

NU likely = 150k

Michigan/Cornell/Gtown will offer you potential full rides if you have strong softs, if not you will either be yield protected or given a full ride

NYU will give you a full ride if your softs fit under a particular category of named scholarships they have, likely 50-100k otherwise but with no named scholarship
CLS will give you a full ride if you have absurd softs, a half ride with great softs, and likely 50-100k otherwise but with no named scholarship

HLS is your target school, if money matters to you more than most people, I'd take ED NU and take the uncertainty out of things, especially as you are an international applicant. Apply everywhere regardless even if you ED NU.

Note:
If they don't get to report your 3.82, and it just shows up as superior, which may be the case, scholarship money will likely depend far more on your softs at ALL of these schools. If this is the case, you should most definitely apply everywhere and ED NU.
Thanks a lot for your incredibly helpful information! HLS is indeed my target school, and if I ED NU, but later get admitted to HLS, I'd regret to death... but I really need to know the probability of me getting in HLS since the deadline of ED NU is Nov.15... I'm fine with institutional loans, so I'd definitely go to HLS if I could possibly get in!

Ramius

Gold

Post by Ramius » Mon Oct 28, 2013 10:09 am

mitch1010 wrote:
sinfiery wrote:If you have no stellar softs:

NU likely = 150k

Note:
Thanks a lot for your incredibly helpful information! HLS is indeed my target school, and if I ED NU, but later get admitted to HLS, I'd regret to death... but I really need to know the probability of me getting in HLS since the deadline of ED NU is Nov.15... I'm fine with institutional loans, so I'd definitely go to HLS if I could possibly get in!
Them's the breaks of law school admissions. If HLS means that much to you, I'd say you should hold off on NU ED and just play the RD game. As Sinfiery said, you've got a decent shot and it's definitely worth the app to find out if it's your dream. You'll still be left with nice options across the T14 even if HLS doesn't work out.

cotiger

Gold

Post by cotiger » Mon Oct 28, 2013 10:24 am

matthewsean85 wrote:
Them's the breaks of law school admissions. If HLS means that much to you, I'd say you should hold off on NU ED and just play the RD game. As Sinfiery said, you've got a decent shot and it's definitely worth the app to find out if it's your dream. You'll still be left with nice options across the T14 even if HLS doesn't work out.
Someone with above 75th LSAT and moderately below median GPA (as you have) has an ~80% shot at an HLS acceptance. On top of that, your GPA won't count against their median, so you should have an even better chance. If you'd take HLS over 150k at Northwestern, then definitely just apply RD to everywhere.
Last edited by cotiger on Mon Oct 28, 2013 11:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

jingosaur

Gold

Post by jingosaur » Mon Oct 28, 2013 11:37 am

You should not ED NU. Blanket the T14 and see what happens. NU will probablys give you a full scholarship even if you don't ED. Best of luck on your cycle!

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Choosing a Law School”