How high will the sticker price go?

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
guano

Re: How high will the sticker price go?

Postby guano » Thu Oct 24, 2013 8:46 am

MistakenGenius wrote:
guano wrote:
cinephile wrote:
matthewsean85 wrote:
Is this based on some psychological response? You might not be wrong, but I don't see irrational people (namely people who are willing to pay sticker at already astronomical prices) seeing much difference between 95k/year and 100k/year. Also consider that most people don't look at COA, they look at tuition only. So while tuition could potentially stall at 99k/year, that would probably equate to 120k/year, give or take a few thousand.

Exactly what I meant, the psychological reaction to a 100k sticker price. And of course the COA would be higher but people never consider that. Still, I think a school would have a hard time increasing tuition itself to 100k or more.

Our whole system is ridiculous. I think we should shut down 99% of all institutions of higher education and just have the few remaining become subsidized completely by the government. And I think we should probably cut chemistry and other ridiculous subjects out of our high school curricula and start teaching kids real skills from age 14. I mean, not just plumbers and electricians, but teach kids to become artisan bakers and raise the minimum wage to a living wage. And those are all my feelings at the moment, but this'll never happen.

A) people probably said the same thing about tuition breaking $10,000
B) chemistry is more important than history
C ) freedom of choice

I will agree with A). I have no doubt that people thought $10,000 was never going to happen. Personally, I don't see a peak, there won't be a peak until the government withdraws it's ridiculous funds or collapses. That said, B is the most asinine thing I've ever read. Chemistry has practical use to something like .01% of the population. Hell, my best friend is a chemical engineer and he even says the chemistry he uses is completely unrelated to high school chemistry. It's a completely worthless subject. History meanwhile needs to be learned and understood by everyone. I'll just assume you're a fool.

There are more jobs in chemistry than history. If 0.1% of people use it, that's still 300,000 people - significantly more than all history teachers, museum curators and college professors combined.

I'm not saying history is useless, but hard sciences are more important, because jobs

cinephile

Postby cinephile » Thu Oct 24, 2013 7:26 pm

I was kind of saying neither chemistry nor history are useful. People need to learn real skills - like how to make a sale, how to bake bread, child-minding, etc.

J-e-L-L-o

Postby J-e-L-L-o » Thu Oct 31, 2013 3:25 pm

food is made by chemistry...medicine is made by chemistry...fuel is made by chemistry

Hell baking bread, you need yeast which is made by fermenting

History is more important than chemistry?

IpleadtheFiF

Postby IpleadtheFiF » Thu Oct 31, 2013 5:11 pm

cinephile wrote:I was kind of saying neither chemistry nor history are usefulused in a practical way by people in their day-to-day lives. People need to learn real skills - like how to make a sale, how to bake bread, child-minding, etc.

Fixed for clarity.

Usefulness to society vs usefulness to lay people's daily needs.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”