Southern T-14's for Miami Big Law?

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
sosofla

Southern T-14's for Miami Big Law?

Postby sosofla » Mon Oct 21, 2013 5:36 pm

OK, I know Miami Big Law is EXTREMELY difficult to get, but do T14's in the south (UVA/Duke) have an advantage over other lower T14's in the Northeast (specifically Cornell)?

jbagelboy

Re: Southern T-14's for Miami Big Law?

Postby jbagelboy » Mon Oct 21, 2013 5:44 pm

sosofla wrote:OK, I know Miami Big Law is EXTREMELY difficult to get, but do T14's in the south (UVA/Duke) have an advantage over other lower T14's in the Northeast (specifically Cornell)?

Generally speaking, yes. I would look at the rosters of the firms you're interested in. Harvard probably has the most flexibility; barring that, UVA/Duke are usually the way to go.

sosofla

Postby sosofla » Mon Oct 21, 2013 6:09 pm

jbagelboy wrote:
sosofla wrote:OK, I know Miami Big Law is EXTREMELY difficult to get, but do T14's in the south (UVA/Duke) have an advantage over other lower T14's in the Northeast (specifically Cornell)?

Generally speaking, yes. I would look at the rosters of the firms you're interested in. Harvard probably has the most flexibility; barring that, UVA/Duke are usually the way to go.

jbagelboy - do you think cornell would be at a noticeable disadvantage in the hiring process?

I've looked at firm rosters and, while helpful, its tough to take into consideration the different sizes of schools...

Cicero76

Postby Cicero76 » Wed Oct 23, 2013 10:43 pm

sosofla wrote:
jbagelboy wrote:

jbagelboy - do you think cornell would be at a noticeable disadvantage in the hiring process?

I've looked at firm rosters and, while helpful, its tough to take into consideration the different sizes of schools...

Disadvantage? No, not really. The importance of the school's location/southernness PALES in comparison to the importance of A) your ties to Florida and most importantly by a mile B) your grades. Sample checklist of Greenberg Traurig hiring process:

Did the applicant go to HYS? (y/n)
If yes, congrats! You get an interview. If no, try the next question.
Did the applicant go to a T14? (y/n) If no, is applicant in top 10% at UF/FSU/Vanderbilt?
If yes to T14, are his/her grades good? (y/n)
If yes, does it make any sense that this T14 grad is coming to FL (i.e. ties, etc)? (y/n)

If yes to all of these, congrats! You get an interview! Good luck getting an actual job though, because there's only 20 summer associate positions, yay Florida biglaw :D

Informative

Postby Informative » Fri Nov 01, 2013 9:39 am

Miami Big Law? Have you researched the Miami legal market at all? Only a handful of the Vault 100 have a significant presence in Miami.

Miami is a great city, but it doesn't have a significant biglaw market with the exception of a few firms.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”