U.S. JD and LLM from International Organization

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
tmw2912

U.S. JD and LLM from International Organization

Postby tmw2912 » Thu Oct 17, 2013 10:27 am

Good Morning All

I am currently looking at attending law school next year and would like to concentrate in International Law. I was reviewing school online and Washington U. in St. Louis has a program where you study at Washington U. and then a partner international organization earning a JD in the U.S. and an LLM in the country where you are studying abroad.

My question is, this is the only program like this I have found. Are there other Universities out there that have similar programs?

Thanks

Ti Malice

Re: U.S. JD and LLM from International Organization

Postby Ti Malice » Thu Oct 17, 2013 5:10 pm

It's a scam. What kind of jobs do you think exist in "international law"? How many openings are there per year? How many people from WUSTL get these jobs?

goldeneye

Postby goldeneye » Thu Oct 17, 2013 5:15 pm

Ti Malice wrote:It's a scam. What kind of jobs do you think exist in "international law"? How many openings are there per year? How many people from WUSTL get these jobs?

First off, it's actually not a scam. WashU has a strong program for this, especially partnering with the ICC, though this typically includes internships. Your second point is more accurate, in that not many will get those jobs.

worldtraveler

Postby worldtraveler » Thu Oct 17, 2013 5:21 pm

Cornell has some kind of a program like that to get an LLM in France.

What do you think the foreign LLM will do for you and what exactly do you want to do in international law?

tmw2912

Postby tmw2912 » Thu Oct 17, 2013 5:39 pm

Thanks worldtraveler. I have spent 10 years working globally in a specialized field. I know of several positions where the foreign LLM would be beneficial and lucrative in the field and have an inside advantage with my industry knowledge and connections.

Seems like only top schools would have this?

wiz

Postby wiz » Thu Oct 17, 2013 5:51 pm

Do you speak French or any foreign languages?

tmw2912

Postby tmw2912 » Thu Oct 17, 2013 6:01 pm

French and English fluent. Conversational Spanish, learning Mandarin but am at an elementary level right now.

Unagi

Postby Unagi » Thu Oct 17, 2013 6:02 pm

WashU, Cornell, Columbia, Fordham and Cardozo all have programs like this.

tmw2912

Postby tmw2912 » Thu Oct 17, 2013 6:17 pm

Thanks Unagi

wiz

Postby wiz » Thu Oct 17, 2013 6:25 pm

tmw2912 wrote:French and English fluent. Conversational Spanish, learning Mandarin but am at an elementary level right now.

As other posters have said, I would suggest Columbia and WUSTL. I think NYU and Harvard would also be strong for your career interests; they are the top two schools for international law, and I know for HLS, you can get your LLM from Cambridge. Cornell also seems like a great option for you since you can pair a Cornell JD with a French LLM.

Cornell Law School: International Dual Degrees wrote:Cornell Law School offers a select group of students the opportunity to earn both a Cornell J.D. and a graduate law degree from one of Cornell’s four European partner institutions:

J.D./Master en Droit, Université Paris I Panthéon-Sorbonne, is a four-year program, taught in French, which prepares graduates for admission to the bar in the United States and in France.
J.D./Master of German and European Law and Practice (M.LL.P.), Humboldt Universität zu Berlin, is a three-year program taught in German which provides graduates with a profound knowledge of German and European law at both an academic and a practical level.
J.D./LL.M. in Chinese Law, KoGuan Law School, Shanghai Jiao Tong University, is a three-year program, taught in English, which has a focus on Chinese civil and commercial law and offers students an excellent opportunity to study Chinese law and legal process and engage in Chinese and comparative law.
Last edited by wiz on Thu Oct 17, 2013 6:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

tmw2912

Postby tmw2912 » Thu Oct 17, 2013 6:33 pm

Thanks Wiz. Guess I need to study hard for the LSATs because it looks like top schools are my best choice. That is obvious of course because shouldn't you always shoot for the top school :)

worldtraveler

Postby worldtraveler » Fri Oct 18, 2013 11:02 am

tmw2912 wrote:Thanks worldtraveler. I have spent 10 years working globally in a specialized field. I know of several positions where the foreign LLM would be beneficial and lucrative in the field and have an inside advantage with my industry knowledge and connections.

Seems like only top schools would have this?

There is really no way for anyone to give you advice if you are being this vague.

tmw2912

Postby tmw2912 » Fri Oct 18, 2013 11:23 am

To be honest my original question was pretty straightforward. I was just looking for programs similar to the Wash U. JD/LLM program. My career aspirations and path were not part of the question. Although these boards are helpful I am confident in my analytical abilities to be able to make an informed decision for me. I was just looking for a list of programs.

I appreciate all the help though.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”