Emory Law

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
cotiger

Re: Emory Law

Postby cotiger » Sun Oct 20, 2013 9:26 pm

The Dark Kite wrote:And this is probably a slap-worthy question, but: applying to schools in the ChiCity area like Loyola or Kent would be too much of a gamble in terms of gaining meaningful employment after graduation, right? Even if I'm able to negotiate large/full scholly's?

Don't do that. Loyola and Kent only get half of their grads any kind of lawyer jobs, and that's by 9 months out. Only 10% get BigLaw. Even if you get full-tuition plus stipend (which you won't bc those kinds of schools don't give that kind of money, and what they do give tends to be stip-laden), it's not worth the 3 years of your time.

WUSTL and Notre Dame should be the only non-T14s you consider if you want Chi. And that's only with big money. You really need to be shooting for a 170/Northwestern.

Youppi!

Postby Youppi! » Wed Oct 23, 2013 1:31 pm

cotiger wrote:
The Dark Kite wrote:And this is probably a slap-worthy question, but: applying to schools in the ChiCity area like Loyola or Kent would be too much of a gamble in terms of gaining meaningful employment after graduation, right? Even if I'm able to negotiate large/full scholly's?

Don't do that. Loyola and Kent only get half of their grads any kind of lawyer jobs, and that's by 9 months out. Only 10% get BigLaw. Even if you get full-tuition plus stipend (which you won't bc those kinds of schools don't give that kind of money, and what they do give tends to be stip-laden), it's not worth the 3 years of your time.

WUSTL and Notre Dame should be the only non-T14s you consider if you want Chi. And that's only with big money. You really need to be shooting for a 170/Northwestern.

Not even UIUC??

cotiger

Postby cotiger » Wed Oct 23, 2013 3:05 pm

Youppi! wrote:
cotiger wrote:Don't do that. Loyola and Kent only get half of their grads any kind of lawyer jobs, and that's by 9 months out. Only 10% get BigLaw. Even if you get full-tuition plus stipend (which you won't bc those kinds of schools don't give that kind of money, and what they do give tends to be stip-laden), it's not worth the 3 years of your time.

Not even UIUC??

Yeah, that too. Good catch.

RLowry23

Postby RLowry23 » Sat Nov 30, 2013 4:23 pm

cotiger wrote:

Sorry to bring back a dead topic, but I just applied to Chicago-Kent for the heck of it to see how much $$$ I could maybe get. If your goal is not necessarily big law, and they offered a full scholly (not likely, I know but going what if - here)... You would still say not worth it?

deadpanic

Postby deadpanic » Sat Nov 30, 2013 6:17 pm

RLowry23 wrote:
cotiger wrote:

Sorry to bring back a dead topic, but I just applied to Chicago-Kent for the heck of it to see how much $$$ I could maybe get. If your goal is not necessarily big law, and they offered a full scholly (not likely, I know but going what if - here)... You would still say not worth it?

Not to derail this thread, but I would say no, it isn't worth it. Chicago is a pretty expensive city so you would still have a lot of debt from the living expenses for bad job prospects.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”