T14 Political Leanings

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
Ti Malice

Re: T14 Political Leanings

Postby Ti Malice » Mon Oct 14, 2013 8:25 pm

jbagelboy wrote:
jordan15 wrote:
bouleversement wrote:I would too but we can still make a relative assessment. Here is my list just for fun. It's obvious but for the sake of clarity this is from left-leaning to less left-leaning.

1. Berkeley
2. NYU
3. Yale
4. Stanford
5. Penn
6. Columbia
7. Harvard
8. Cornell
9. Northwestern
10. Michigan
11. Georgetown
12. Chicago
13. Duke
14. Virginia

As fair a guess as any?

Good guesses, but Ithaca is hippie/yuppie central (IMO on par with Berkeley, though I have no idea if the law school is reflective of this) and one of the professors at Northwestern was the leader of the Weather Underground so I'd probably move both of them way up.

Tempted to place Penn and Yale on the more conservative side, make Georgetown and Michigan a little less so.

While I think most of the schools are indistinguishable politically, I will say that Yale definitely belongs around where it is. Conservatives aren't absent, but there certainly aren't many of them. FedSoc events are popular here because they usually come with Indian or Thai food (and occasionally good guest speakers). The vast majority of students are ardent liberals. I have left-of-center friends that say they feel like right-wingers in this place. Career stats back this up to some extent as well: the proportion of folks who end up in PI work within a few years after graduation is much higher here than at most or all of the other T14s.

bouleversement

Postby bouleversement » Mon Oct 14, 2013 11:49 pm

Lavitz wrote:In the Cornell 1L class, I know of 1 conservative and 2 libertarians. They're all pretty chill and seem to like it here.

Out of how many people Lavitz? I am assuming you don't know the political persuasion of everyone in your class. :)

Lavitz

Postby Lavitz » Tue Oct 15, 2013 12:15 am

bouleversement wrote:
Lavitz wrote:In the Cornell 1L class, I know of 1 conservative and 2 libertarians. They're all pretty chill and seem to like it here.

Out of how many people Lavitz? I am assuming you don't know the political persuasion of everyone in your class. :)

No, I don't know everyone's beliefs. And I don't think I could put a number on the number of people whose beliefs I'm sure of. But I'm sure there are others I don't know about.

The point was more that the small contingent of conservative/libertarian students here don't have a problem with the atmosphere, teaching, etc.

FattyMcFatFat

Postby FattyMcFatFat » Tue Oct 15, 2013 12:23 am

Lavitz wrote:I've never been to Berkeley, but Ithaca is pretty far left. Ralph Nader got more votes here than George W Bush in 2000.

In the Cornell 1L class, I know of 1 conservative and 2 libertarians. They're all pretty chill and seem to like it here.

The only class I have where politics might come up is ConLaw, and my prof has been completely apolitical so far. He tries to hide his own beliefs and let students weigh the relative merits of the arguments on their own. I've heard the other ConLaw profs are pretty liberal, but I don't see why that would affect anyone's decision in a major way.

This is a solid observation, but I also think it kind of applies to Property, just in a different way. I think Property is inherently inconsistent with Marxism/communitarianism, and I remember those collectivist types (maybe 2 or 3 people) just generally hating the class. However, aside from occasional eye rolls and oh-so-loud-look-at-me scoffs, most of that disdain was communicated outside, rather than inside, the classroom.

Lavitz

Postby Lavitz » Tue Oct 15, 2013 12:55 am

FattyMcFatFat wrote:
Lavitz wrote:I've never been to Berkeley, but Ithaca is pretty far left. Ralph Nader got more votes here than George W Bush in 2000.

In the Cornell 1L class, I know of 1 conservative and 2 libertarians. They're all pretty chill and seem to like it here.

The only class I have where politics might come up is ConLaw, and my prof has been completely apolitical so far. He tries to hide his own beliefs and let students weigh the relative merits of the arguments on their own. I've heard the other ConLaw profs are pretty liberal, but I don't see why that would affect anyone's decision in a major way.

This is a solid observation, but I also think it kind of applies to Property, just in a different way. I think Property is inherently inconsistent with Marxism/communitarianism, and I remember those collectivist types (maybe 2 or 3 people) just generally hating the class. However, aside from occasional eye rolls and oh-so-loud-look-at-me scoffs, most of that disdain was communicated outside, rather than inside, the classroom.

It could be, but I don't have property yet, so I can't speak to that.

jn7

Postby jn7 » Tue Oct 15, 2013 1:04 am

Lavitz wrote:
FattyMcFatFat wrote:

It could be, but I don't have property yet, so I can't speak to that.

Oh my property professor wears his political leanings on his sleeve! Probably one of the coolest classes/professors, but so much of property (at least what we are taught) is policy driven and he definitely lets us know what he thinks.

mr.hands

Postby mr.hands » Tue Oct 15, 2013 12:40 pm

Ti Malice wrote:I would too but we can still make a relative assessment. Here is my list just for fun. It's obvious but for the sake of clarity this is from left-leaning to less left-leaning.

1. Berkeley
2. NYU
3. Yale
4. Stanford
5. Penn
6. Columbia
7. Harvard
8. Cornell
9. Northwestern
10. Michigan
11. Georgetown
12. Chicago
13. Duke
14. Virginia

As fair a guess as any?

This is entirely made up. I have no idea where you came up with this. (i'm not just criticizing your list here. this seems to be what people have echoed throughout the thread. so this isn't a personal attack as much as a response to the last four pages). Berkeley is liberal, sure. Chicago is conservative, ok.

You've listed my T14 here and your assessment is waaaay off base. I have been here for 2 years and been in a grand total of 0 political discussions. There are no protests/activists/fundraisers/etc. Professors don't discuss politics or reveal their personal preferences. We're adults. No one cares.

This is such a 0L thing to ask about.

bouleversement

Postby bouleversement » Tue Oct 15, 2013 2:17 pm

Lavitz wrote:
bouleversement wrote:

No, I don't know everyone's beliefs. And I don't think I could put a number on the number of people whose beliefs I'm sure of. But I'm sure there are others I don't know about.

The point was more that the small contingent of conservative/libertarian students here don't have a problem with the atmosphere, teaching, etc.

Right, I was just making the observation that 3 out 4 does not make the same case as 3 out of 40.

bouleversement

Postby bouleversement » Tue Oct 15, 2013 2:26 pm

mr.hands wrote:
bouleversement wrote:I would too but we can still make a relative assessment. Here is my list just for fun. It's obvious but for the sake of clarity this is from left-leaning to less left-leaning.

1. Berkeley
2. NYU
3. Yale
4. Stanford
5. Penn
6. Columbia
7. Harvard
8. Cornell
9. Northwestern
10. Michigan
11. Georgetown
12. Chicago
13. Duke
14. Virginia

As fair a guess as any?

This is entirely made up. I have no idea where you came up with this. (i'm not just criticizing your list here. this seems to be what people have echoed throughout the thread. so this isn't a personal attack as much as a response to the last four pages). Berkeley is liberal, sure. Chicago is conservative, ok.

You've listed my T14 here and your assessment is waaaay off base. I have been here for 2 years and been in a grand total of 0 political discussions. There are no protests/activists/fundraisers/etc. Professors don't discuss politics or reveal their personal preferences. We're adults. No one cares.

You misquoted. That was my list not Ti Malice's.

I revealed my 0L status in the OP and hesitated in making such a list. I gave it a shot only after no one else did. It may be best to stick with generalities.

Ti Malice

Postby Ti Malice » Tue Oct 15, 2013 9:24 pm

bouleversement wrote:
mr.hands wrote:

1. Berkeley
2. NYU
3. Yale
4. Stanford
5. Penn
6. Columbia
7. Harvard
8. Cornell
9. Northwestern
10. Michigan
11. Georgetown
12. Chicago
13. Duke
14. Virginia

As fair a guess as any?

I revealed my 0L status in the OP and hesitated in making such a list. I gave it a shot only after no one else did. It may be best to stick with generalities.

Yeah, not sure how my name got attached to that quote. I didn't offer any list of my own. I just quoted someone who had quoted the original list.

Void

Postby Void » Tue Oct 15, 2013 9:28 pm

OP, multiple law students & graduates have agreed that the politics of a law school don't matter. This thread is done, yes?

mr.hands

Postby mr.hands » Wed Oct 16, 2013 11:14 am

bouleversement wrote:
mr.hands wrote:

1. Berkeley
2. NYU
3. Yale
4. Stanford
5. Penn
6. Columbia
7. Harvard
8. Cornell
9. Northwestern
10. Michigan
11. Georgetown
12. Chicago
13. Duke
14. Virginia

As fair a guess as any?

Apologies for the misquote. I couldn't reply with 4 quotes so i cut it down to one and wrongly attributed it to TI and not you.

Again, i'm not trying to criticize you. I think everyone has come up with a similar list. My point is just that there are soo many more important considerations in choosing a law school (cost, market, biglaw placement, LRAP, clerkship placement, school funded fellowships/employment, etc.)

I didn't want to restart this conversation with this post, just apologizing for the misquote

DPW_Yes

Postby DPW_Yes » Wed Oct 16, 2013 11:54 am

Void wrote:OP, multiple law students & graduates have agreed that the politics of a law school don't matter. This thread is done, yes?

Totally agree. Doesn't matter.

bouleversement

Postby bouleversement » Wed Oct 16, 2013 2:05 pm

Void wrote:OP, multiple law students & graduates have agreed that the politics of a law school don't matter. This thread is done, yes?

As far as I'm concerned it is. Thanks to those who made positive contributions.

BigZuck

Postby BigZuck » Wed Oct 16, 2013 5:51 pm

bouleversement wrote:

As far as I'm concerned it is. Thanks to those who made positive contributions.

Lulz

Well trolled friend

Return to “Choosing a Law School”