NU Accelerated JD: Current student answering Qs

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
captainplanet

Re: NU Accelerated JD: Current student answering Qs

Postby captainplanet » Fri Feb 14, 2014 5:34 pm

Leo wrote:Sorry if this isn't the appropriate forum, but I have a question about NU law in general. My goal is to land an IP law job with a top firm. I also currently live in Chicago and have a good professional network here. I have been counseled by many 0Ls that a discounted NU degree is preferable to a T6 degree at sticker. Do you guys agree with that advice? Thanks in advance.

That is my impression as well but I'm not an expert. I think that from NYU down, it probably doesn't make much of a difference which school in the T14 you go to for employment purposes (though Georgetown seems to struggle), and NU has better BigLaw employment numbers than most, which I think has to do with the greater emphasis on WE prior to law school. Region is one thing that does seem to matter in terms of connections, so that's something I'd take into account depending on whether you want to stay in Chicago or not (if you do, NU has a great reputation here). It looks like firms really like people with IP backgrounds (the ones I know seemed to do very well at OCI), so that's going to help you no matter where you go.

I recommend asking on the general NU student forum, where there might be more people who can answer your question more fully than my semi-educated guess: http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=142200&start=6775.

kemosabe

Postby kemosabe » Sat Feb 15, 2014 12:33 pm

How have AJD students with a non-business background fared with employment? How rare are they to begin with? And lastly, if such a student wanted to try biglaw, would they be at a disadvantage choosing the AJD over a traditional program? I'm wondering if the extra year might give them a better chance to contour their resume towards such a career shift.

captainplanet

Postby captainplanet » Sun Feb 16, 2014 1:18 am

kemosabe wrote:How have AJD students with a non-business background fared with employment? How rare are they to begin with? And lastly, if such a student wanted to try biglaw, would they be at a disadvantage choosing the AJD over a traditional program? I'm wondering if the extra year might give them a better chance to contour their resume towards such a career shift.

Though many students in the program have a business background, there are a number who do not, including students with a science or PI background, so it's definitely not rare. With regard to trying biglaw, it depends on what your background is. If it's IP, you're golden. If it's PI, you might struggle as firms may not be convinced that you're dedicated to corporate law (though if you have the grades and a compelling story and personality, you'll be fine). But at the same time, simply having a business background only gets you so far, as I think it does help some, but it only really gives you an edge if it's the kind of business work the law firm is doing (like bankruptcy) and you still need the GPA and the charisma. Overall, except for students going into IP, I don't think there was really a discrepancy between students with or without business backgrounds with regard to OCI performance. Remember that, at the end of the day, you're still competing against most law students who don't have much WE to begin with, so any kind of skills you can bring to the table are valuable. There are some firms though that may be hesitant to hire someone with a lot of WE, because they're going to want to know why you're switching to law, and if you're really going to stay.

With regard to your question about whether you'd be disadvantaged choosing the AJD program and could use an extra year to contour your resume, it's tough to say. If someone doesn't have much WE, maybe, but if you already do I don't know that a single extra summer, where it's hard to find business-type employment anyway, is really going to change your resume. I think that biglaw is completely doable from the AJD program, and hiring stats for the program are a little higher than in the traditional program (I think 60% found a biglaw summer job through OCI), which probably has to do with the additional WE students have. But the point is, I don't think it puts you at a disadvantage for biglaw.

captainplanet

Postby captainplanet » Sun Feb 16, 2014 1:31 am

Class of 2016 AJD admits have set up a thread where a number of current and prospective AJD students are contributing. I recommend checking it out and asking any additional questions there to get some fresh viewpoints and hear from other students (though I know it'll be hard to measure up to only hearing from me (and NUAJD15) again and again on this thread ;-) ). I'll continue answering any questions posted here or on the other thread, or feel free to PM me.

The new thread is: http://top-law-schools.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=38&t=224723.

kemosabe

Postby kemosabe » Sun Feb 16, 2014 9:21 pm

Thanks for the info. I'll check out that other thread as well.

captainplanet

Postby captainplanet » Tue Sep 02, 2014 11:28 am

So I thought I'd start this up again for this year's application cycle. Current Northwestern Accelerated JD 3L student happy to answer questions about the program. Good luck to those applying!

kcdc1

Postby kcdc1 » Tue Sep 02, 2014 10:46 pm

And I'm a 2L -- I'd highly recommend the program for anyone with work experience that has an idea where they'd like to practice. In my opinion, it's particularly great for people that are have IP-type resumes.

Gregjames

Postby Gregjames » Sun Sep 07, 2014 12:13 am

Hi, What about the Two year JD for international lawyers? do u have any feedback on that? do u know anyone on this program? what about entry requirements and LSAT do they differ from AJD?
Thanks

captainplanet

Postby captainplanet » Sun Sep 07, 2014 8:35 pm

Gregjames wrote:Hi, What about the Two year JD for international lawyers? do u have any feedback on that? do u know anyone on this program? what about entry requirements and LSAT do they differ from AJD?
Thanks

Sorry, don't know much about it. You may want to ask around on the general NU student forum at: http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=142200&start=8750

wojo98

Postby wojo98 » Sun Sep 21, 2014 7:36 pm

Also a 2L: echo comments above that the NU AJD is great for applicants with strong WE and defined career goals (particularly if goals involve Big Law or a comparable boutique right out of school).

Outstanding value proposition: you 1) graduate in two calendar years from a T-14; 2) 1L lasts but 10 weeks; and 3) get to OCI before your peers have even started their first class.

Do. It.

wojo98

Postby wojo98 » Wed Jan 14, 2015 11:53 pm

Northwestern's Accelerated JD (AJD) program produced one of the school's two SCOTUS clerks this cycle - Elana Nightingale Dawson (see here, here).

FYI: AJD applications due by the end of the month.

kcdc1

Postby kcdc1 » Fri Jan 16, 2015 10:31 am

wojo98 wrote:Northwestern's Accelerated JD (AJD) program produced one of the school's two SCOTUS clerks this cycle - Elana Nightingale Dawson (see here, here).

AJD-to-SCOTUS trail officially blazed. You should do it wojo. I'll be in DC. We can hang out.

wojo98

Postby wojo98 » Sun Jan 18, 2015 11:39 am

kcdc1 wrote:
wojo98 wrote:Northwestern's Accelerated JD (AJD) program produced one of the school's two SCOTUS clerks this cycle - Elana Nightingale Dawson (see here, here).

AJD-to-SCOTUS trail officially blazed. You should do it wojo. I'll be in DC. We can hang out.

Hah, I wish. Still, SCOTUS clerk news is great for NU and particularly valuable for Northwestern’s two-year AJD program. Rejects a common criticism of the program (that clerking options are more limited than a 3-year program).

Return to “Choosing a Law School”