UC Hastings v.s. Santa Clara?

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
BigZuck
Posts: 10884
Joined: Tue Sep 04, 2012 9:53 am

Re: UC Hastings v.s. Santa Clara?

Postby BigZuck » Tue Dec 10, 2013 8:53 pm

joblessgrad wrote:I'm not vapid enough to give my name. Rather than bolstering your own sense of authority as to this forum by claiming to determine who isn't real, simply evaluate the merits of what I am saying. The toilet metaphor may be overused, but it is for good reason regardless of the hyperbole involved. Don't go anywhere less than a t14 school unless you are obsessed with practicing law.


No.

And just stop bro. We approve of the message.

User avatar
ManoftheHour
Posts: 3403
Joined: Tue Jan 22, 2013 6:03 pm

Re: UC Hastings v.s. Santa Clara?

Postby ManoftheHour » Wed Dec 11, 2013 4:29 pm

lol, what makes you not real is the fact that if I were a jobless grad, I wouldn't go on TLS, make an account and make JUST 4 posts in the SAME thread to bash a school.

I might go on TLS to ask for advice, but your only 4 posts seem to be just about Hastings.

It doesn't discredit what you are trying to say though.

User avatar
20160810
Posts: 19648
Joined: Fri May 02, 2008 1:18 pm

Re: UC Hastings v.s. Santa Clara?

Postby 20160810 » Sun Dec 22, 2013 2:54 pm

joblessgrad wrote:One more comment: pretty soon there won't be disappointed elitists at Hastings, they'll all be at Davis or Irvine instead, and Hastings will have made its final spiral down the toilet bowl of all rankings publications. And don't mistake that for an endorsement of Davis or Irvine, because those two have their own problems, the biggest of which is lack of regional mobility. At least I can beg a Hastings alum for work statewide.

Someone please kill the regional mobility flame. It's harder for Davis grads to work in Sacramento (without ties) than it is for them to find work in SF or LA.

BigZuck
Posts: 10884
Joined: Tue Sep 04, 2012 9:53 am

Re: UC Hastings v.s. Santa Clara?

Postby BigZuck » Sun Dec 22, 2013 6:17 pm

SBL wrote:
joblessgrad wrote:One more comment: pretty soon there won't be disappointed elitists at Hastings, they'll all be at Davis or Irvine instead, and Hastings will have made its final spiral down the toilet bowl of all rankings publications. And don't mistake that for an endorsement of Davis or Irvine, because those two have their own problems, the biggest of which is lack of regional mobility. At least I can beg a Hastings alum for work statewide.

Someone please kill the regional mobility flame. It's harder for Davis grads to work in Sacramento (without ties) than it is for them to find work in SF or LA.


It's really hard to take you seriously considering your overall schtickiness. Do you really mean this or are you trolling?

User avatar
20160810
Posts: 19648
Joined: Fri May 02, 2008 1:18 pm

Re: UC Hastings v.s. Santa Clara?

Postby 20160810 » Sat Dec 28, 2013 2:31 am

BigZuck wrote:
SBL wrote:
joblessgrad wrote:One more comment: pretty soon there won't be disappointed elitists at Hastings, they'll all be at Davis or Irvine instead, and Hastings will have made its final spiral down the toilet bowl of all rankings publications. And don't mistake that for an endorsement of Davis or Irvine, because those two have their own problems, the biggest of which is lack of regional mobility. At least I can beg a Hastings alum for work statewide.

Someone please kill the regional mobility flame. It's harder for Davis grads to work in Sacramento (without ties) than it is for them to find work in SF or LA.


It's really hard to take you seriously considering your overall schtickiness. Do you really mean this or are you trolling?

I went through OCI at Davis, take it fwiw.

deebanger
Posts: 243
Joined: Mon Jun 03, 2013 11:40 pm

Re: UC Hastings v.s. Santa Clara?

Postby deebanger » Sat Dec 28, 2013 2:50 am

SBL wrote:
BigZuck wrote:
SBL wrote:
joblessgrad wrote:One more comment: pretty soon there won't be disappointed elitists at Hastings, they'll all be at Davis or Irvine instead, and Hastings will have made its final spiral down the toilet bowl of all rankings publications. And don't mistake that for an endorsement of Davis or Irvine, because those two have their own problems, the biggest of which is lack of regional mobility. At least I can beg a Hastings alum for work statewide.

Someone please kill the regional mobility flame. It's harder for Davis grads to work in Sacramento (without ties) than it is for them to find work in SF or LA.


It's really hard to take you seriously considering your overall schtickiness. Do you really mean this or are you trolling?

I went through OCI at Davis, take it fwiw.


SBL, did u graduate already from Davis?, Honestly, what is your opinion, about the jobs situation coming out of Davis. I understand that things are not great in California, but if you have good grades, do you have a shot at Sac or SFO firms at OCI at Davis?

User avatar
20160810
Posts: 19648
Joined: Fri May 02, 2008 1:18 pm

Re: UC Hastings v.s. Santa Clara?

Postby 20160810 » Sat Dec 28, 2013 3:01 am

My information is a little out of date by now but when I did OCI the jerb situation was meh. OCI is basically worth doing if you're in the top third or so, but I wouldn't be overly hopeful unless you're in the top-20%, and you probably need to be in the top 10-15% for legit biglaw. Maybe things are a little better as the economy has improved, but that's probably a decent baseline.

I was about top third after 1L (though my grades went up subsequently) and ended up with a decent 2L SA gig in SF, but I was a bit of an outlier. Chalk it up to interview skills, some semi-interesting pre-LS work experience, and a lot of luck. People with HYPS/MIT/Caltech UG degrees and URMs seemed to get a bit of a boost above their grade range in OCI as well, but that's kind of small sample size so take it with a grain of salt.

My experience is that SF and LA firms interviewing Davis students don't give a shit about where you're from as long as you can articulate a non-retarded reason for wanting to work in that city, whereas firms from smaller cities (Oakland, Sac, Fresno, Inland Empire, OC, SD, etc.) were big on ties. I'd go so far as to say it was pretty rare to hear of someone who ended up working in Sac who didn't grow up there. Firms in inland cities have a pretty big complex about being fallbacks for people who struck out in SF, so they tend to prefer hiring people with local ties and lower grades.

Ultimately I have a hard time telling someone in good conscience that they should borrow a lot of money to go to Davis, but I loved it there and it worked out just fine for me.

deebanger
Posts: 243
Joined: Mon Jun 03, 2013 11:40 pm

Re: UC Hastings v.s. Santa Clara?

Postby deebanger » Sat Dec 28, 2013 3:14 am

SBL wrote:My information is a little out of date by now but when I did OCI the jerb situation was meh. OCI is basically worth doing if you're in the top third or so, but I wouldn't be overly hopeful unless you're in the top-20%, and you probably need to be in the top 10-15% for legit biglaw. Maybe things are a little better as the economy has improved, but that's probably a decent baseline.

I was about top third after 1L (though my grades went up subsequently) and ended up with a decent 2L SA gig in SF, but I was a bit of an outlier. Chalk it up to interview skills, some semi-interesting pre-LS work experience, and a lot of luck. People with HYPS/MIT/Caltech UG degrees and URMs seemed to get a bit of a boost above their grade range in OCI as well, but that's kind of small sample size so take it with a grain of salt.

My experience is that SF and LA firms interviewing Davis students don't give a shit about where you're from as long as you can articulate a non-retarded reason for wanting to work in that city, whereas firms from smaller cities (Oakland, Sac, Fresno, Inland Empire, OC, SD, etc.) were big on ties. I'd go so far as to say it was pretty rare to hear of someone who ended up working in Sac who didn't grow up there. Firms in inland cities have a pretty big complex about being fallbacks for people who struck out in SF, so they tend to prefer hiring people with local ties and lower grades.

Ultimately I have a hard time telling someone in good conscience that they should borrow a lot of money to go to Davis, but I loved it there and it worked out just fine for me.


Thank you SBL! for the detailed response. I actually have ties to Orange county, as I went to undergrad here, and Im really surprised that OC firms even come to Davis' OCI. I had the impression that it would mainly be SF or Sac firms. So, did u know people from your year/class get gigs at firms in Orange County or San Diego? because settling down in OC or SD is my ideal scenario as I like it here, and my only family member in the country, my brother is also here. So I get that Davis is sorta like the middle of the pack law school in the state, like there is obviously Berkely, Stanford, UCLA and USC ranked higher, but in the scenario I dont accepted to those, and since I want to eventually settle down in OC or SD, would u say UCI and UCD are safe options if I get decent money from them?
Last edited by deebanger on Sat Dec 28, 2013 3:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

BigZuck
Posts: 10884
Joined: Tue Sep 04, 2012 9:53 am

Re: UC Hastings v.s. Santa Clara?

Postby BigZuck » Sat Dec 28, 2013 3:27 am

USC and UCLA aren't particularly safe options. Looking at employment statistics, it's obvious that Davis isn't a safe option at all.

If you want to work in Southern CA then don't go to a school ranked lower than USC. And always be cognizant of cost.

shawn1234
Posts: 37
Joined: Sat Feb 09, 2013 5:14 pm

Re: UC Hastings v.s. Santa Clara?

Postby shawn1234 » Tue May 27, 2014 11:10 pm

Hastings. Period.

User avatar
jbagelboy
Posts: 9653
Joined: Thu Nov 29, 2012 7:57 pm

Re: UC Hastings v.s. Santa Clara?

Postby jbagelboy » Thu May 29, 2014 12:19 pm

deebanger wrote:
SBL wrote:My information is a little out of date by now but when I did OCI the jerb situation was meh. OCI is basically worth doing if you're in the top third or so, but I wouldn't be overly hopeful unless you're in the top-20%, and you probably need to be in the top 10-15% for legit biglaw. Maybe things are a little better as the economy has improved, but that's probably a decent baseline.

I was about top third after 1L (though my grades went up subsequently) and ended up with a decent 2L SA gig in SF, but I was a bit of an outlier. Chalk it up to interview skills, some semi-interesting pre-LS work experience, and a lot of luck. People with HYPS/MIT/Caltech UG degrees and URMs seemed to get a bit of a boost above their grade range in OCI as well, but that's kind of small sample size so take it with a grain of salt.

My experience is that SF and LA firms interviewing Davis students don't give a shit about where you're from as long as you can articulate a non-retarded reason for wanting to work in that city, whereas firms from smaller cities (Oakland, Sac, Fresno, Inland Empire, OC, SD, etc.) were big on ties. I'd go so far as to say it was pretty rare to hear of someone who ended up working in Sac who didn't grow up there. Firms in inland cities have a pretty big complex about being fallbacks for people who struck out in SF, so they tend to prefer hiring people with local ties and lower grades.

Ultimately I have a hard time telling someone in good conscience that they should borrow a lot of money to go to Davis, but I loved it there and it worked out just fine for me.


Thank you SBL! for the detailed response. I actually have ties to Orange county, as I went to undergrad here, and Im really surprised that OC firms even come to Davis' OCI. I had the impression that it would mainly be SF or Sac firms. So, did u know people from your year/class get gigs at firms in Orange County or San Diego? because settling down in OC or SD is my ideal scenario as I like it here, and my only family member in the country, my brother is also here. So I get that Davis is sorta like the middle of the pack law school in the state, like there is obviously Berkely, Stanford, UCLA and USC ranked higher, but in the scenario I dont accepted to those, and since I want to eventually settle down in OC or SD, would u say UCI and UCD are safe options if I get decent money from them?


It's possible, but OC class sizes are smaller than LA and tend to be very IP/patent centric. Davis grads do get legit biglaw (unlike the CA TTT's), but all the one's I know have electrical engineering or biomedical engineering degrees and some WE in patents. As SBL suggested, with nothing else to speak for yourself but a Davis JD, I wouldn't bank on biglaw outside of top 10-15%. And with those odds, only attend with a full ride. (Again, more float for in demand patent eligible folks).

Re: Hastings, they have a larger OCI which draws only from the top of the class. I'd only attend Santa Clara with strong IP credentials and good $. Basically don't go to any school south of UCLA/USC with the goal of biglaw unless you can market yourself well to a particular high demand field (of which there aren't many ITE).

froglee
Posts: 90
Joined: Wed Feb 27, 2013 12:14 am

Re: UC Hastings v.s. Santa Clara?

Postby froglee » Sat May 31, 2014 8:32 am

Back in 2011, I talked to a few tech professionals about studying IP in law school. One of them is considering going to Santa Clara Law school due to its "strong reputation" in IP. All of us, including myself agree with the decision. Remind you these people are accomplished tech professionals earning like 150k~250K per year. Yet they have no idea about the legal market and the Santa Clara IP law scam. This shows how clueless people really are.

Also back in 2006, I met a girl just graduated from Santa Clara then told me everyone gets good job in class. I believed her, but now I think it is most likely not true.




Return to “Choosing a Law School”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests