application strategy?

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
Techsan23
Posts: 35
Joined: Wed Jul 20, 2011 10:21 pm

application strategy?

Postby Techsan23 » Mon Oct 07, 2013 2:14 pm

I just retook for the 2nd time this past weekend. I have a 164,169,? with a 3.98.
I didn't feel too hot coming out of the test. It could possibly be better than my 169 but not so sure. I want to work in big law in a major market and would rather not attend MVP or Duke. I basically want to be in a big city.

Should I apply now or wait until the score is released? Also, what school should I target for?

I am currently thinking Chicago, Berkeley, NYU based on mylsn probabilities.

Thank you in advance.

User avatar
Tiago Splitter
Posts: 15525
Joined: Tue Jun 28, 2011 1:20 am

Re: application strategy?

Postby Tiago Splitter » Mon Oct 07, 2013 2:25 pm

Why not Penn? Philadelphia isn't exactly rural. And with their median falling to 169 you'd be in line for a pretty big scholarship.

User avatar
Clearly
Posts: 4166
Joined: Sat Feb 11, 2012 4:09 pm

Re: application strategy?

Postby Clearly » Mon Oct 07, 2013 2:29 pm

Tiago Splitter wrote:Why not Penn? Philadelphia isn't exactly rural. And with their median falling to 169 you'd be in line for a pretty big scholarship.

Has their median dropped?

User avatar
Tiago Splitter
Posts: 15525
Joined: Tue Jun 28, 2011 1:20 am

Re: application strategy?

Postby Tiago Splitter » Mon Oct 07, 2013 2:33 pm

Clearly wrote:
Tiago Splitter wrote:Why not Penn? Philadelphia isn't exactly rural. And with their median falling to 169 you'd be in line for a pretty big scholarship.

Has their median dropped?

I thought it had but apparently they haven't released the info yet. But if it didn't drop this past cycle I'd expect it to next cycle.

User avatar
Clearly
Posts: 4166
Joined: Sat Feb 11, 2012 4:09 pm

Re: application strategy?

Postby Clearly » Mon Oct 07, 2013 3:02 pm

Tiago Splitter wrote:
Clearly wrote:
Tiago Splitter wrote:Why not Penn? Philadelphia isn't exactly rural. And with their median falling to 169 you'd be in line for a pretty big scholarship.

Has their median dropped?

I thought it had but apparently they haven't released the info yet. But if it didn't drop this past cycle I'd expect it to next cycle.

Cool just checking, released 25th 75th held, I suspect that 50th did as well, although it very well could drop next cycle.

User avatar
jbagelboy
Posts: 9653
Joined: Thu Nov 29, 2012 7:57 pm

Re: application strategy?

Postby jbagelboy » Mon Oct 07, 2013 4:53 pm

As Tiaggo pointed out, philly is a major city - as much as SF or DC or Boston would be. Obviously NYC, Los Angeles and Chicago are a different level of metropolis.

You should be in at CCN, and if your score increases to 171+ you will have a strong chance at one or two of HYS.

Techsan23
Posts: 35
Joined: Wed Jul 20, 2011 10:21 pm

Re: application strategy?

Postby Techsan23 » Mon Oct 07, 2013 6:19 pm

I would definitely consider Penn if my options are limited or if I got some money but I would prefer SF, NYC, and Chicago to Philly. Do I have a reasonable shot at Columbia considering the 25th dropped to 169?
Should I apply to any school before the new score comes out incase it is lower?

User avatar
Clearly
Posts: 4166
Joined: Sat Feb 11, 2012 4:09 pm

Re: application strategy?

Postby Clearly » Mon Oct 07, 2013 6:32 pm

Techsan23 wrote:I would definitely consider Penn if my options are limited or if I got some money but I would prefer SF, NYC, and Chicago to Philly. Do I have a reasonable shot at Columbia considering the 25th dropped to 169?
Should I apply to any school before the new score comes out incase it is lower?

Not gonna make a difference, scores will drop before they make a decision anyway.

User avatar
cotiger
Posts: 1648
Joined: Tue Jul 23, 2013 11:49 pm

Re: application strategy?

Postby cotiger » Mon Oct 07, 2013 10:39 pm

Even with a 169 you should apply to all the T6 (though Yale is questionable).

Last year 168s and 169s with 3.9x GPAs were 7/10 at UChi and 19/24 at NYU on LSN. If your score bumps up even a little bit to 170-171, that's 14/21 at Harvard.

Apply to Penn for $$ negotiations.

User avatar
Clearly
Posts: 4166
Joined: Sat Feb 11, 2012 4:09 pm

Re: application strategy?

Postby Clearly » Tue Oct 08, 2013 2:21 am

cotiger wrote:Even with a 169 you should apply to all the T6 (though Yale is questionable).

Last year 168s and 169s with 3.9x GPAs were 7/10 at UChi and 19/24 at NYU on LSN. If your score bumps up even a little bit to 170-171, that's 14/21 at Harvard.

Apply to Penn for $$ negotiations.

Apply to notoriously stingy Penn with below median lsat for $$ negotiations?

User avatar
cotiger
Posts: 1648
Joined: Tue Jul 23, 2013 11:49 pm

Re: application strategy?

Postby cotiger » Tue Oct 08, 2013 9:03 am

Clearly wrote:
cotiger wrote:Even with a 169 you should apply to all the T6 (though Yale is questionable).

Last year 168s and 169s with 3.9x GPAs were 7/10 at UChi and 19/24 at NYU on LSN. If your score bumps up even a little bit to 170-171, that's 14/21 at Harvard.

Apply to Penn for $$ negotiations.

Apply to notoriously stingy Penn with below median lsat for $$ negotiations?


That's only if he gets that 170-171. They're not stingy at that level for super high GPAs. Plus, from what I've read, CCN wouldn't be moved by money from UVA, but might be from Penn?

Techsan23
Posts: 35
Joined: Wed Jul 20, 2011 10:21 pm

Re: application strategy?

Postby Techsan23 » Mon Oct 28, 2013 5:10 pm

I got my score back and did worse than my 169. :| I'm leaning toward Chicago as my first choice. Should I ED? Thanks in advance for the advice.

User avatar
jbagelboy
Posts: 9653
Joined: Thu Nov 29, 2012 7:57 pm

Re: application strategy?

Postby jbagelboy » Mon Oct 28, 2013 6:50 pm

Techsan23 wrote:I got my score back and did worse than my 169. :| I'm leaning toward Chicago as my first choice. Should I ED? Thanks in advance for the advice.


How much worse? This is the problem with predictions. If you are 166+ you have a chance at ED but then you'll face sticker. With a 168+ you'll still get decent money from most T 14s. Below that I would seriously consider taking a breather, forgetting about law school for a few months and putting those near perfect grades to use by getting a chill well paying job, with a retake on the horizon for june.

Techsan23
Posts: 35
Joined: Wed Jul 20, 2011 10:21 pm

Re: application strategy?

Postby Techsan23 » Mon Oct 28, 2013 7:00 pm

I got a 166. I checked on the website and Chicago says they consider the highest?

User avatar
Otunga
Posts: 1317
Joined: Fri Mar 15, 2013 7:56 pm

Re: application strategy?

Postby Otunga » Mon Oct 28, 2013 9:20 pm

Techsan23 wrote:I got a 166. I checked on the website and Chicago says they consider the highest?


Then I'd take their word for it.

You're still golden with that 169, but it just depends on your goals. If you want big law, you're still good. If you want a prestigious federal clerkship, you're less good.

Consider applying to BU and BC for some BIG scholarship money if you wouldn't mind Boston. I'm doing the same (3.9X, 168).

User avatar
jbagelboy
Posts: 9653
Joined: Thu Nov 29, 2012 7:57 pm

Re: application strategy?

Postby jbagelboy » Tue Oct 29, 2013 12:01 am

Techsan23 wrote:I got a 166. I checked on the website and Chicago says they consider the highest?


My bad. I read you as 164,X -> 164,166. The 169 changes things. You'll still have a great cycle. $$$ at most T14, outside shot at Columbia & Harvard




Return to “Choosing a Law School”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: J-e-L-L-o and 6 guests