Deciding whether or not to go to law school (flow chart)

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
Macarthur
Posts: 6
Joined: Thu Oct 03, 2013 2:12 pm

Deciding whether or not to go to law school (flow chart)

Postby Macarthur » Fri Oct 04, 2013 12:55 am

http://abovethelaw.com/2013/10/deciding ... flowchart/

This should be stickied or something. Or at least have the picture up.

User avatar
fundamentallybroken
Posts: 663
Joined: Mon Dec 20, 2010 11:52 am

Re: Deciding whether or not to go to law school (flow chart)

Postby fundamentallybroken » Fri Oct 04, 2013 1:32 am

That shit needs some serious proofreading. So many then/than errors, I wonder if the professor actually just had a research assistant make it, then took credit.

Void
Posts: 857
Joined: Fri Sep 30, 2011 10:56 am

Re: Deciding whether or not to go to law school (flow chart)

Postby Void » Fri Oct 04, 2013 7:11 am

I agree generally with the message but functionally and aesthetically it's actually a pretty shitty flow chart.

User avatar
kwais
Posts: 1683
Joined: Tue May 11, 2010 12:28 pm

Re: Deciding whether or not to go to law school (flow chart)

Postby kwais » Fri Oct 04, 2013 7:28 am

yeah, it's not really a flow chart at all. Just a list of reasons and replies. ATL is reaching.

User avatar
Tiago Splitter
Posts: 15475
Joined: Tue Jun 28, 2011 1:20 am

Re: Deciding whether or not to go to law school (flow chart)

Postby Tiago Splitter » Fri Oct 04, 2013 9:56 am

"Labron" lol

timbs4339
Posts: 2733
Joined: Sat Apr 02, 2011 12:19 pm

Re: Deciding whether or not to go to law school (flow chart)

Postby timbs4339 » Fri Oct 04, 2013 10:10 am

Tiago Splitter wrote:"Labron" lol


For some reason I really feel like naive 0Ls are going to see that and disregard the entire thing.

User avatar
Tiago Splitter
Posts: 15475
Joined: Tue Jun 28, 2011 1:20 am

Re: Deciding whether or not to go to law school (flow chart)

Postby Tiago Splitter » Fri Oct 04, 2013 10:13 am

timbs4339 wrote:
Tiago Splitter wrote:"Labron" lol


For some reason I really feel like naive 0Ls are going to see that and disregard the entire thing.

To be fair it is a pretty good summary of Campos' book and much more digestible for those of us who don't do the whole book reading thing.

User avatar
ScottRiqui
Posts: 3640
Joined: Mon Nov 29, 2010 8:09 pm

Re: Deciding whether or not to go to law school (flow chart)

Postby ScottRiqui » Fri Oct 04, 2013 11:10 am

Tiago Splitter wrote:
timbs4339 wrote:
Tiago Splitter wrote:"Labron" lol


For some reason I really feel like naive 0Ls are going to see that and disregard the entire thing.

To be fair it is a pretty good summary of Campos' book and much more digestible for those of us who don't do the whole book reading thing.


Doesn't some of it seem a little bit, umm, "hyperbolic"? Yeah, I know he needs to sell books, but stuff like not going to law school unless you've prepared a business plan to be a solo practitioner? Talk about literally "planning to fail" (unless you're going to law school to be a solo, I guess).

And biglaw associates having to bring in business on their own, as well as chase clients down to get them to pay their bills. How prevalent is that really among junior associates?

User avatar
francesfarmer
Posts: 1409
Joined: Mon Sep 10, 2012 11:52 am

Re: Deciding whether or not to go to law school (flow chart)

Postby francesfarmer » Fri Oct 04, 2013 11:20 am

I personally resent being told that I shouldn't be a lawyer if I have mental health issues.

User avatar
Tiago Splitter
Posts: 15475
Joined: Tue Jun 28, 2011 1:20 am

Re: Deciding whether or not to go to law school (flow chart)

Postby Tiago Splitter » Fri Oct 04, 2013 1:10 pm

ScottRiqui wrote:
Tiago Splitter wrote:
timbs4339 wrote:
Tiago Splitter wrote:"Labron" lol


For some reason I really feel like naive 0Ls are going to see that and disregard the entire thing.

To be fair it is a pretty good summary of Campos' book and much more digestible for those of us who don't do the whole book reading thing.


Doesn't some of it seem a little bit, umm, "hyperbolic"? Yeah, I know he needs to sell books, but stuff like not going to law school unless you've prepared a business plan to be a solo practitioner? Talk about literally "planning to fail" (unless you're going to law school to be a solo, I guess).

And biglaw associates having to bring in business on their own, as well as chase clients down to get them to pay their bills. How prevalent is that really among junior associates?

Well this is Paul Campos after all. Some hyperbole is to be expected, in the same way we expect it from law school deans who massage their employment numbers. It's just that Campos' ends are quite noble so we give him more leeway.

User avatar
midwest17
Posts: 1686
Joined: Sat Aug 31, 2013 5:27 pm

Re: Deciding whether or not to go to law school (flow chart)

Postby midwest17 » Sat Oct 05, 2013 4:26 pm

Tiago Splitter wrote:Well this is Paul Campos after all. Some hyperbole is to be expected, in the same way we expect it from law school deans who massage their employment numbers. It's just that Campos' ends are quite noble so we give him more leeway.


Meh. Selling books and becoming famous aren't exactly "noble" ends.




Return to “Choosing a Law School”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Baidu [Spider], stego and 7 guests