Chicago vs. Northwestern - where to ED?

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
Chicagoan

Chicago vs. Northwestern - where to ED?

Postby Chicagoan » Wed Sep 25, 2013 11:52 am

I am trying to decide whether to ED to Chicago or Northwestern. I am most interested in attending one of these two schools although I will consider other schools that aren't located in Chicago if necessary.

I am retaking the LSAT in October but my current stats are 3.67/172. I am hopeful that I can add a point or two to my LSAT with a retake, but who knows what'll happen.

My goal is to work for a big firm in Chicago after graduation, although I would consider other markets such as NYC. I would possibly consider academia down the road, but I know that it's a long-shot either way.

I am attracted to Chicago for the better employment numbers, the cheaper cost of living in Hyde Park vs. Streeterville/Lincoln Park, and the small boost when it comes to more prestigious job opportunities. However, I would be content with any market-paying firm job that would allow me to pay off my debt.

I am attracted to Northwestern for the substantial scholarship attached to early decision as well as the relatively older student population. I will be needing to rent a 2-bedroom apt either way and I am concerned that 2-bedrooms near NU's campus are ~$1000 more expensive per month than 2-bedroom family housing owned by Chicago. Over three years, this will eat up a modest chunk of the savings that a 50k/year scholarship to NU would give me over paying sticker at Chicago. I am not sure how competitive I would be at Chicago for scholarship money, especially if I ED, but I can't see myself getting more than 10-15k/year. However, another 10-15k/year in savings from living in a cheaper apartment might make the difference something to the tune of 20-30k/year at Chicago vs. 50k/year at NU. I know that it's an apples to oranges comparison because I am adding apartment savings to a small scholarship from Chicago, but for the sake of comparing total cost of attendance, I think that it's relevant. If I were to be moving to Chicago by myself and could do an apartment share in Streeterville/Lincoln Park for ~$1200/mo, that'd be a different situation. But I'll need a 2-bedroom apt either way.

I figured I would ask the board for some general thoughts as I am going to be submitting my applications to both schools soon and would like some insight as I decide to which school I should ED.

Thanks for the help!

twenty

Re: Chicago vs. Northwestern - where to ED?

Postby twenty » Wed Sep 25, 2013 12:27 pm

Given your goals and whatnot, I would absolutely ED to NU. You'll probably get UChicago regardless, likely with money, so don't ED there. Even if you don't get the full ride from NU, by EDing, you're significantly more likely to get scholarship money through RD.

http://lawschoolnumbers.com/gobadgers25

http://mylsn.info/r3xwwv

jbagelboy

Postby jbagelboy » Wed Sep 25, 2013 12:29 pm

This really just seems like one question: should you ED NU or not ED because you might prefer UChicago. I do not see the purpose in EDing UChi here -- you would most likely face sticker or maybe $5K/year -- when you could RD and get a more generous offer.

My understanding of the NU ED is that numbers have to be slightly stronger than a 3.6-3.7 GPA. However, if you just want Chicago firm work, its a great option. I think you have a decen chance.

I would ED Northwestern given your goals, and if it fails, RD both schools. For reference, I had same LSAT and slightly higher GPA (comparable given falling admissions standards), and I received $45K total from Chicago and $90K from NU.

Good luck with your cycle

Chicagoan

Postby Chicagoan » Wed Sep 25, 2013 3:17 pm

Thank you both for the replies.

jbagelboy, might I ask whether you decided on NU or Chicago? Or some place different altogether?

sinfiery

Postby sinfiery » Wed Sep 25, 2013 7:55 pm

Chicagoan wrote:I am trying to decide whether to ED to Chicago or Northwestern. I am most interested in attending one of these two schools although I will consider other schools that aren't located in Chicago if necessary.
I am retaking the LSAT in October but my current stats are 3.67/172. I am hopeful that I can add a point or two to my LSAT with a retake, but who knows what'll happen.

My goal is to work for a big firm in Chicago after graduation, although I would consider other markets such as NYC. I would possibly consider academia down the road, but I know that it's a long-shot either way.
I am attracted to Chicago for the better employment numbers, the cheaper cost of living in Hyde Park vs. Streeterville/Lincoln Park, and the small boost when it comes to more prestigious job opportunities. However, I would be content with any market-paying firm job that would allow me to pay off my debt.

I am attracted to Northwestern for the substantial scholarship attached to early decision as well as the relatively older student population. I will be needing to rent a 2-bedroom apt either way and I am concerned that 2-bedrooms near NU's campus are ~$1000 more expensive per month than 2-bedroom family housing owned by Chicago. Over three years, this will eat up a modest chunk of the savings that a 50k/year scholarship to NU would give me over paying sticker at Chicago. I am not sure how competitive I would be at Chicago for scholarship money, especially if I ED, but I can't see myself getting more than 10-15k/year. However, another 10-15k/year in savings from living in a cheaper apartment might make the difference something to the tune of 20-30k/year at Chicago vs. 50k/year at NU. I know that it's an apples to oranges comparison because I am adding apartment savings to a small scholarship from Chicago, but for the sake of comparing total cost of attendance, I think that it's relevant. If I were to be moving to Chicago by myself and could do an apartment share in Streeterville/Lincoln Park for ~$1200/mo, that'd be a different situation. But I'll need a 2-bedroom apt either way.

I figured I would ask the board for some general thoughts as I am going to be submitting my applications to both schools soon and would like some insight as I decide to which school I should ED.

Thanks for the help!

ED NU and don't think twice. You very likely won't receive enough money from UChi to make this a discussion.

ETA: What the others said is spot on

captainplanet

Postby captainplanet » Sat Oct 12, 2013 4:16 am

If you're concerned about living costs, why not just live in Hyde Park and take the train/bus to NU? Or, you can live in Evanston and take the free shuttle to campus. (or do the Accelerated JD and save a year's worth of living expenses)

Also, if you're serious about academia work, I believe UofC is better in that regard.

IAFG

Postby IAFG » Sat Oct 12, 2013 4:52 am

UChi does have a real placement edge. How many tens of thousands of dollars is that worth to you?

Return to “Choosing a Law School”