Fordham Law School?

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
timbs4339
Posts: 2733
Joined: Sat Apr 02, 2011 12:19 pm

Re: Fordham Law School?

Postby timbs4339 » Fri Oct 04, 2013 4:43 pm

john1990 wrote:Law School can be a worthwhile investment even if you don't come out of school making $160,000. Most students come out of undergrad with $50,000 job offers. You can still easily make twice the income out of law school and have a greater long term earning potential.


I know right! St. John's could confirm a whole 8.2% of their class making more than 100K, and a wonderous 25% of the class making more than 55K! That's "easily" twice that 50K salary! Check out these stats that show how great an investment it is!

http://www.lstscorereports.com/?school= ... class=2011

User avatar
john1990
Posts: 1211
Joined: Sun Jun 05, 2011 5:49 pm

Re: Fordham Law School?

Postby john1990 » Fri Oct 04, 2013 4:50 pm

kwais wrote:
john1990 wrote:
twentypercentmore wrote:
What figures would you estimate for jobs coming out of UG vs LS.


50k from law school, $13/hour working 38 hours a week for UG.


:lol: Still sounds like a good investment


Let us know how that goes for you.


well even at 40*14*52 that is only 29k

User avatar
john1990
Posts: 1211
Joined: Sun Jun 05, 2011 5:49 pm

Re: Fordham Law School?

Postby john1990 » Fri Oct 04, 2013 4:51 pm

timbs4339 wrote:
john1990 wrote:Law School can be a worthwhile investment even if you don't come out of school making $160,000. Most students come out of undergrad with $50,000 job offers. You can still easily make twice the income out of law school and have a greater long term earning potential.


I know right! St. John's could confirm a whole 8.2% of their class making more than 100K, and a wonderous 25% of the class making more than 55K! That's "easily" twice that 50K salary! Check out these stats that show how great an investment it is!

http://www.lstscorereports.com/?school= ... class=2011


I'm talking about Fordham. Why did everyone stray to St.Johns? They are night and day

besides LST never gets near 100% reporting even for t14. Even Harvard had only 60% reporting. Its not representative of the whole class

User avatar
Bronx Bum
Posts: 474
Joined: Tue Jun 01, 2010 6:02 pm

Re: Fordham Law School?

Postby Bronx Bum » Fri Oct 04, 2013 4:56 pm

john1990 wrote:
timbs4339 wrote:
john1990 wrote:Law School can be a worthwhile investment even if you don't come out of school making $160,000. Most students come out of undergrad with $50,000 job offers. You can still easily make twice the income out of law school and have a greater long term earning potential.


I know right! St. John's could confirm a whole 8.2% of their class making more than 100K, and a wonderous 25% of the class making more than 55K! That's "easily" twice that 50K salary! Check out these stats that show how great an investment it is!

http://www.lstscorereports.com/?school= ... class=2011


I'm talking about Fordham. Why did everyone stray to St.Johns? They are night and day

besides LST never gets near 100% reporting even for t14. Even Harvard had only 60% reporting. Its not representative of the whole class


LOL. No one from Fordham is getting a $100k salary out of the gate. Either $160k or (most likely) unemployed.

User avatar
Bronx Bum
Posts: 474
Joined: Tue Jun 01, 2010 6:02 pm

Re: Fordham Law School?

Postby Bronx Bum » Fri Oct 04, 2013 5:03 pm

Bronx Bum wrote:
john1990 wrote:
timbs4339 wrote:
john1990 wrote:Law School can be a worthwhile investment even if you don't come out of school making $160,000. Most students come out of undergrad with $50,000 job offers. You can still easily make twice the income out of law school and have a greater long term earning potential.


I know right! St. John's could confirm a whole 8.2% of their class making more than 100K, and a wonderous 25% of the class making more than 55K! That's "easily" twice that 50K salary! Check out these stats that show how great an investment it is!

http://www.lstscorereports.com/?school= ... class=2011


I'm talking about Fordham. Why did everyone stray to St.Johns? They are night and day

besides LST never gets near 100% reporting even for t14. Even Harvard had only 60% reporting. Its not representative of the whole class


LOL. People from Fordham aren't getting $100k salaries out of the gate. Either $160k or (most likely) unemployed.

User avatar
john1990
Posts: 1211
Joined: Sun Jun 05, 2011 5:49 pm

Re: Fordham Law School?

Postby john1990 » Fri Oct 04, 2013 5:05 pm

Bronx Bum wrote:
john1990 wrote:
timbs4339 wrote:
john1990 wrote:Law School can be a worthwhile investment even if you don't come out of school making $160,000. Most students come out of undergrad with $50,000 job offers. You can still easily make twice the income out of law school and have a greater long term earning potential.


I know right! St. John's could confirm a whole 8.2% of their class making more than 100K, and a wonderous 25% of the class making more than 55K! That's "easily" twice that 50K salary! Check out these stats that show how great an investment it is!

http://www.lstscorereports.com/?school= ... class=2011


I'm talking about Fordham. Why did everyone stray to St.Johns? They are night and day

besides LST never gets near 100% reporting even for t14. Even Harvard had only 60% reporting. Its not representative of the whole class


LOL. No one from Fordham is getting a $100k salary out of the gate. Either $160k or (most likely) unemployed.


Even LST reports 10% at 110-160k.

Chowfun
Posts: 117
Joined: Mon Dec 31, 2012 1:03 pm

Re: Fordham Law School?

Postby Chowfun » Fri Oct 04, 2013 5:08 pm

twentypercentmore wrote:
Chowfun wrote:So what I am trying to say is whether the reliance on employment statistics may not be as cut and dry as just looking at numbers.


No, it really is that cut and dry. Coming from St. John's, 11% of the students will go onto a federal clerkship, or biglaw. For literally everyone else, law school was not a worthwhile investment.

What if their are other factors related to why students didn't receive jobs that had nothing to do with the school.


If 95% of the student drivers from Driving School of America passed their driver's license test, and 30% of the students from United School of Driving passed their driver's license test, and that's been an ongoing trend for the last 5-6 years, you'd have to really work on lying to yourself to argue that those numbers aren't related to the school.

Shouldn't the blame be placed on the individual?


Yup, for picking a school that won't help them get a job. I fully agree.

When you really look at who is employed or not really come down to who the individual is? How well they did at law school, their connections, other experiences etc...


Haha, nope!



Lol that driving school scenario is a straw man argument to prove your point. That's a a different story entirely. Driving school actually teaches you how to drive. So if most kids weren't passing at the one school I would assume that there is problems with the school curriculum. Law school doesn't teach you how to be a lawyer, this I've heard to many times. I've also heard that law school curriculum isn't even much different from one another. (Correct me if I'm wrong :))

What is it exactly that generates employment statistics? And not the obvious answer, but simply or not so simple to answer, why aren't the students getting jobs. Do employers look at gpa, experience or school when choosing who to hire, which has the most weight? At this point, is the situation as follows: if you want a good job go for the name brand school.

This is what it seems like it is boiling down to. Go to the school with the most prestigious name and clout you can get into, because that alone will guarantee you the job.

Or is it something lacking in Fordham education compared to Columbia and NYU....that Fordham students are overlooked and can't get a job. I mean considering there is some consensus that it's mostly the schools fault that the employment rate of its students is mid 60%.

I'm just trying to figure it out.

Chowfun
Posts: 117
Joined: Mon Dec 31, 2012 1:03 pm

Re: Fordham Law School?

Postby Chowfun » Fri Oct 04, 2013 5:20 pm

PepperJack wrote:OP, if these top schools include St. John's, Brooklyn,, Hofstra and NY Law don't just see where you'll get in. You don't realize this at 20, but if you go these middling schools at full price and are like 90% of the class you will be a slave for the rest of your life. Forget having a family (unless you want to feed your kids white rice and ketchup for dinner each night).


My top schools are all in T14 and then I have back ups like Fordham. I plan to retake lsat this December. Hopefully score in the 170's range and make myself golden for the top schools. I just really like Fordham,because honestly I want to stay in NYC, my family is there. I've been away far too long. Only seen my mother maybe 10 times in a year. The only two golden schools in NYC are Columbia and NYU. I don't want to not go to law school just because I didn't get into the top schools in NYC that just seems silly, so I'm trying to fully understand this tls approach to t14 or die or most likely die.

User avatar
PepperJack
Posts: 646
Joined: Sun Sep 29, 2013 1:23 pm

Re: Fordham Law School?

Postby PepperJack » Fri Oct 04, 2013 5:22 pm

Chowfun wrote:
twentypercentmore wrote:
Chowfun wrote:So what I am trying to say is whether the reliance on employment statistics may not be as cut and dry as just looking at numbers.


No, it really is that cut and dry. Coming from St. John's, 11% of the students will go onto a federal clerkship, or biglaw. For literally everyone else, law school was not a worthwhile investment.

What if their are other factors related to why students didn't receive jobs that had nothing to do with the school.


If 95% of the student drivers from Driving School of America passed their driver's license test, and 30% of the students from United School of Driving passed their driver's license test, and that's been an ongoing trend for the last 5-6 years, you'd have to really work on lying to yourself to argue that those numbers aren't related to the school.

Shouldn't the blame be placed on the individual?


Yup, for picking a school that won't help them get a job. I fully agree.

When you really look at who is employed or not really come down to who the individual is? How well they did at law school, their connections, other experiences etc...


Haha, nope!



Lol that driving school scenario is a straw man argument to prove your point. That's a a different story entirely. Driving school actually teaches you how to drive. So if most kids weren't passing at the one school I would assume that there is problems with the school curriculum. Law school doesn't teach you how to be a lawyer, this I've heard to many times. I've also heard that law school curriculum isn't even much different from one another. (Correct me if I'm wrong :))

What is it exactly that generates employment statistics? And not the obvious answer, but simply or not so simple to answer, why aren't the students getting jobs. Do employers look at gpa, experience or school when choosing who to hire, which has the most weight? At this point, is the situation as follows: if you want a good job go for the name brand school.

This is what it seems like it is boiling down to. Go to the school with the most prestigious name and clout you can get into, because that alone will guarantee you the job.

Or is it something lacking in Fordham education compared to Columbia and NYU....that Fordham students are overlooked and can't get a job. I mean considering there is some consensus that it's mostly the schools fault that the employment rate of its students is mid 60%.

I'm just trying to figure it out.

It is mostly the school's fault. Employers equivocate IQ and worth ethic with school and class rank. The IQ difference b/w NYU/CLS students is maybe 1-2 points (we're talking about .1 on the GPA and 3 LSAT questions). 20% of Fordham gets big law. 60% of NYU and CLS do.

Other than that, there are uncontrollable factors. If you have any kind of disability, it's very easy to be top of your class even at NYU and CLS and have no job. If you're short or stocky or come off as a jerk same story. A lot of it are circumstances you can't control and luck. But at Fordham you must have everything go right in terms of grades and also get lucky with the interviewer.

User avatar
DrStudMuffin
Posts: 236
Joined: Sun Mar 03, 2013 7:54 pm

Re: Fordham Law School?

Postby DrStudMuffin » Fri Oct 04, 2013 5:29 pm

PepperJack wrote:
Chowfun wrote:
twentypercentmore wrote:
Chowfun wrote:So what I am trying to say is whether the reliance on employment statistics may not be as cut and dry as just looking at numbers.


No, it really is that cut and dry. Coming from St. John's, 11% of the students will go onto a federal clerkship, or biglaw. For literally everyone else, law school was not a worthwhile investment.

What if their are other factors related to why students didn't receive jobs that had nothing to do with the school.


If 95% of the student drivers from Driving School of America passed their driver's license test, and 30% of the students from United School of Driving passed their driver's license test, and that's been an ongoing trend for the last 5-6 years, you'd have to really work on lying to yourself to argue that those numbers aren't related to the school.

Shouldn't the blame be placed on the individual?


Yup, for picking a school that won't help them get a job. I fully agree.

When you really look at who is employed or not really come down to who the individual is? How well they did at law school, their connections, other experiences etc...


Haha, nope!



Lol that driving school scenario is a straw man argument to prove your point. That's a a different story entirely. Driving school actually teaches you how to drive. So if most kids weren't passing at the one school I would assume that there is problems with the school curriculum. Law school doesn't teach you how to be a lawyer, this I've heard to many times. I've also heard that law school curriculum isn't even much different from one another. (Correct me if I'm wrong :))

What is it exactly that generates employment statistics? And not the obvious answer, but simply or not so simple to answer, why aren't the students getting jobs. Do employers look at gpa, experience or school when choosing who to hire, which has the most weight? At this point, is the situation as follows: if you want a good job go for the name brand school.

This is what it seems like it is boiling down to. Go to the school with the most prestigious name and clout you can get into, because that alone will guarantee you the job.

Or is it something lacking in Fordham education compared to Columbia and NYU....that Fordham students are overlooked and can't get a job. I mean considering there is some consensus that it's mostly the schools fault that the employment rate of its students is mid 60%.

I'm just trying to figure it out.

It is mostly the school's fault. Employers equivocate IQ and worth ethic with school and class rank. The IQ difference b/w NYU/CLS students is maybe 1-2 points (we're talking about .1 on the GPA and 3 LSAT questions). 20% of Fordham gets big law. 60% of NYU and CLS do.

Other than that, there are uncontrollable factors. If you have any kind of disability, it's very easy to be top of your class even at NYU and CLS and have no job. If you're short or stocky or come off as a jerk same story. A lot of it are circumstances you can't control and luck. But at Fordham you must have everything go right in terms of grades and also get lucky with the interviewer.



The difference between Fordham and NYU/CLS students is much larger than .1 GPA and 3 LSAT questions. Based on c/o 2015 medians - the difference was closer to .3 GPA and 8 LSAT points. That's substantial at a class-wide level.

User avatar
TheJanitor6203
Posts: 811
Joined: Sun Nov 04, 2012 5:12 pm

Re: Fordham Law School?

Postby TheJanitor6203 » Fri Oct 04, 2013 5:29 pm

At this point, is the situation as follows: if you want a good job go for the name brand school.

Go to the school with the most prestigious name and clout you can get into, because that alone will guarantee you the job.

The school you go to and your GPA matter. Along with law review and stuff like that. It also depends on what you want to do. If you want to be a PD most employers wont care if you were law review or Order of the Coif, they want to see that you took the right classes and did PD related summer interships. I think you're expecting some black and white answer but there really isn't one. Another great resource to answer these questions is to read the threads on this website. There is TONS of info here that you can get without ever asking any of these questions because they have all been answered 100 times. But if biglaw is what you want you need to go to the best school you can get into. The lower the school rank, the higher your GPA needs to be.
Last edited by TheJanitor6203 on Fri Oct 04, 2013 5:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
TheJanitor6203
Posts: 811
Joined: Sun Nov 04, 2012 5:12 pm

Re: Fordham Law School?

Postby TheJanitor6203 » Fri Oct 04, 2013 5:30 pm



The difference between Fordham and NYU/CLS students is much larger than .1 GPA and 3 LSAT questions. Based on c/o 2015 medians - the difference was closer to .3 GPA and 8 LSAT points. That's substantial at a class-wide level.


He's talking about the difference between CLS and NYU

Chowfun
Posts: 117
Joined: Mon Dec 31, 2012 1:03 pm

Re: Fordham Law School?

Postby Chowfun » Fri Oct 04, 2013 5:36 pm

TheJanitor6203 wrote:
At this point, is the situation as follows: if you want a good job go for the name brand school.

Go to the school with the most prestigious name and clout you can get into, because that alone will guarantee you the job.

The school you go to and your GPA matter. Along with law review and stuff like that. It also depends on what you want to do. If you want to be a PD most employers wont care if you were law review or Order of the Coif, they want to see that you took the right classes and did PD related summer interships. I think you're expecting some black and white answer but there really isn't one. Another great resource to answer these questions is to read the threads on this website. There is TONS of info here that you can get without ever asking any of these questions because they have all been answered 100 times. But if biglaw is what you want you need to go to the best school you can get into. The lower the school rank, the higher your GPA needs to be.


Fair enough. What I was looking for was the underlying issue that everyone was dancing around that is the backbone of their point, which if the above pother is right: firms equate law school with law students intelligence, so if one goes to a top school they are essentially a very bright.

User avatar
TheJanitor6203
Posts: 811
Joined: Sun Nov 04, 2012 5:12 pm

Re: Fordham Law School?

Postby TheJanitor6203 » Fri Oct 04, 2013 5:40 pm

Sure.

User avatar
kwais
Posts: 1683
Joined: Tue May 11, 2010 12:28 pm

Re: Fordham Law School?

Postby kwais » Fri Oct 04, 2013 5:42 pm

Chowfun wrote:
TheJanitor6203 wrote:
At this point, is the situation as follows: if you want a good job go for the name brand school.

Go to the school with the most prestigious name and clout you can get into, because that alone will guarantee you the job.

The school you go to and your GPA matter. Along with law review and stuff like that. It also depends on what you want to do. If you want to be a PD most employers wont care if you were law review or Order of the Coif, they want to see that you took the right classes and did PD related summer interships. I think you're expecting some black and white answer but there really isn't one. Another great resource to answer these questions is to read the threads on this website. There is TONS of info here that you can get without ever asking any of these questions because they have all been answered 100 times. But if biglaw is what you want you need to go to the best school you can get into. The lower the school rank, the higher your GPA needs to be.


Fair enough. What I was looking for was the underlying issue that everyone was dancing around that is the backbone of their point, which if the above pother is right: firms equate law school with law students intelligence, so if one goes to a top school they are essentially a very bright.


No. Firms associate top law schools with marketability and prestige and then probably hope that it also equates to intellegenge or acumen. It's all somewhat circular and self-perpetuating, but that's the way it works.

User avatar
DrStudMuffin
Posts: 236
Joined: Sun Mar 03, 2013 7:54 pm

Re: Fordham Law School?

Postby DrStudMuffin » Fri Oct 04, 2013 5:43 pm

TheJanitor6203 wrote:


The difference between Fordham and NYU/CLS students is much larger than .1 GPA and 3 LSAT questions. Based on c/o 2015 medians - the difference was closer to .3 GPA and 8 LSAT points. That's substantial at a class-wide level.


He's talking about the difference between CLS and NYU


If he's doing that he's still wrong. And his 20% biglaw comment becomes weirdly placed.

Chowfun
Posts: 117
Joined: Mon Dec 31, 2012 1:03 pm

Re: Fordham Law School?

Postby Chowfun » Fri Oct 04, 2013 5:49 pm

PepperJack wrote:
Chowfun wrote:
twentypercentmore wrote:
Chowfun wrote:So what I am trying to say is whether the reliance on employment statistics may not be as cut and dry as just looking at numbers.


No, it really is that cut and dry. Coming from St. John's, 11% of the students will go onto a federal clerkship, or biglaw. For literally everyone else, law school was not a worthwhile investment.

What if their are other factors related to why students didn't receive jobs that had nothing to do with the school.


If 95% of the student drivers from Driving School of America passed their driver's license test, and 30% of the students from United School of Driving passed their driver's license test, and that's been an ongoing trend for the last 5-6 years, you'd have to really work on lying to yourself to argue that those numbers aren't related to the school.

Shouldn't the blame be placed on the individual?


Yup, for picking a school that won't help them get a job. I fully agree.

When you really look at who is employed or not really come down to who the individual is? How well they did at law school, their connections, other experiences etc...


Haha, nope!



Lol that driving school scenario is a straw man argument to prove your point. That's a a different story entirely. Driving school actually teaches you how to drive. So if most kids weren't passing at the one school I would assume that there is problems with the school curriculum. Law school doesn't teach you how to be a lawyer, this I've heard to many times. I've also heard that law school curriculum isn't even much different from one another. (Correct me if I'm wrong :))

What is it exactly that generates employment statistics? And not the obvious answer, but simply or not so simple to answer, why aren't the students getting jobs. Do employers look at gpa, experience or school when choosing who to hire, which has the most weight? At this point, is the situation as follows: if you want a good job go for the name brand school.

This is what it seems like it is boiling down to. Go to the school with the most prestigious name and clout you can get into, because that alone will guarantee you the job.

Or is it something lacking in Fordham education compared to Columbia and NYU....that Fordham students are overlooked and can't get a job. I mean considering there is some consensus that it's mostly the schools fault that the employment rate of its students is mid 60%.

I'm just trying to figure it out.

It is mostly the school's fault. Employers equivocate IQ and worth ethic with school and class rank. The IQ difference b/w NYU/CLS students is maybe 1-2 points (we're talking about .1 on the GPA and 3 LSAT questions). 20% of Fordham gets big law. 60% of NYU and CLS do.

Other than that, there are uncontrollable factors. If you have any kind of disability, it's very easy to be top of your class even at NYU and CLS and have no job. If you're short or stocky or come off as a jerk same story. A lot of it are circumstances you can't control and luck. But at Fordham you must have everything go right in terms of grades and also get lucky with the interviewer.


Okay so the employer is equating intelligence and work ethic based on the school they attend? Is what I think your telling me, but I don't see how it's the schools fault. Is it because Fordham should up their standards and admit stronger applicants? I mean what I get on my lasts and my gpa is entirely on me. So hypothetically speaking, if I keep a 165 and do no better on the lsat and retire myself to 3 yrs at Fordham, and receive a modest gpa of 3.4. Shouldn't the employer see that as a reflection of myself and not the school? I do understand that a 3.4 at Fordham and a 3.4 at Columbia will be looked at differently, but I don't understand how my work ethic and intelligence is reflected in the school that I attend. In essence my gpa and lsat score is a reflection of my ability, not the schools. All I see is an elaborate cover up to justify clout and prestige, or maybe the low employment score is due to the fact that Fordham admits students who don't perform as well as competing t14 schools and it is the schools fault for admitting them, because with the competition the students can't find work, and the school is ranked lower as a result.

User avatar
TheJanitor6203
Posts: 811
Joined: Sun Nov 04, 2012 5:12 pm

Re: Fordham Law School?

Postby TheJanitor6203 » Fri Oct 04, 2013 5:55 pm

I think most biglaw employers higher from the top schools because:
1. Prestige
2. Prestige
3. Prestige
4. They are probably smarter
5. Prestige

Go to any biglaw website and look at the lawyer profiles. They like to put your school, Order of Coif, Magna Cum Laude, law review, etc. next your name. They want to be able to tell their big clients that they have XX associates from Yale or Harvard. It’s all about prestige in the end. But if you can’t get into a T14 school, you need to be in the top of your class- not because that makes you smart- because then your employer can list you on their website with “Magna cum laude” or “law review” under your name. Maybe I’m wrong but that is the way I see.

Since this is the case students at the higher ranked schools get the first shot at the best jobs. Such is life. For example, every year 200+/- students graduate from Yale. Their OCI draws about 150 law firms but they have over 50 students every year who get federal clerkships, academia, and the prestigious government jobs. So there are more employers at a Yale OCI than students seeking employment.

Chowfun
Posts: 117
Joined: Mon Dec 31, 2012 1:03 pm

Re: Fordham Law School?

Postby Chowfun » Fri Oct 04, 2013 5:58 pm

TheJanitor6203 wrote:I think most biglaw employers higher from the top schools because:
1. Prestige
2. Prestige
3. Prestige
4. They are probably smarter
5. Prestige

Go to any biglaw website and look at the lawyer profiles. They like to put your school, Order of Coif, Magna Cum Laude, law review, etc. next your name. They want to be able to tell their big clients that they have XX associates from Yale or Harvard. It’s all about prestige in the end. But if you can’t get into a T14 school, you need to be in the top of your class- not because that makes you smart- because then your employer can list you on their website with “Magna cum laude” or “law review” under your name. Maybe I’m wrong but that is the way I see.

Since this is the case students at the higher ranked schools get the first shot at the best jobs. Such is life. For example, every year 200+/- students graduate from Yale. Their OCI draws about 150 law firms but they have over 50 students every year who get federal clerkships, academia, and the prestigious government jobs. So there are more employers at a Yale OCI than students seeking employment.


Lol thank you.

User avatar
Gunnar Stahl
Posts: 1085
Joined: Sat Oct 06, 2012 3:57 pm

Re: Fordham Law School?

Postby Gunnar Stahl » Sat Oct 05, 2013 12:31 pm

john1990 wrote:Law School can be a worthwhile investment even if you don't come out of school making $160,000. Most students come out of undergrad with $50,000 job offers. You can still easily make twice the income out of law school and have a greater long term earning potential.

Actually the 250,000 debt (which assumes no scholarship) will amount to nearly 375,000. This is paid off at about 25,000 a year for 15 years. Fordham should give you a good shot at increasing your earning potential by 25,000 even if you miss biglaw. After those 15 years you will be doing far better. This ignores the differences in potential for growth in compensation

Anyway, i have no problem with Fordham. You have a 33% chance of making big law/A3 and that isn't bad. With a partial shollarship these numbers don't look as crooked

FTFY

User avatar
lgleye
Posts: 348
Joined: Mon Nov 14, 2011 5:41 pm

Re: Fordham Law School?

Postby lgleye » Sat Oct 19, 2013 8:45 pm

.
Last edited by lgleye on Sat Jul 05, 2014 1:15 pm, edited 4 times in total.

timbs4339
Posts: 2733
Joined: Sat Apr 02, 2011 12:19 pm

Re: Fordham Law School?

Postby timbs4339 » Sun Oct 20, 2013 10:34 am

TheJanitor6203 wrote:I think most biglaw employers higher from the top schools because:
1. Prestige
2. Prestige
3. Prestige
4. They are probably smarter
5. Prestige

Go to any biglaw website and look at the lawyer profiles. They like to put your school, Order of Coif, Magna Cum Laude, law review, etc. next your name. They want to be able to tell their big clients that they have XX associates from Yale or Harvard. It’s all about prestige in the end. But if you can’t get into a T14 school, you need to be in the top of your class- not because that makes you smart- because then your employer can list you on their website with “Magna cum laude” or “law review” under your name. Maybe I’m wrong but that is the way I see.

Since this is the case students at the higher ranked schools get the first shot at the best jobs. Such is life. For example, every year 200+/- students graduate from Yale. Their OCI draws about 150 law firms but they have over 50 students every year who get federal clerkships, academia, and the prestigious government jobs. So there are more employers at a Yale OCI than students seeking employment.


This is generally right. There's probably a spectrum, with some hiring partners firmly believing that the better the 1L grades the better the associate, and others just doing it because they have to hire someone and you might as well take the person the client is going to be more impressed with.

User avatar
cahwc12
Posts: 941
Joined: Mon Jul 02, 2012 4:49 pm

Re: Fordham Law School?

Postby cahwc12 » Sun Oct 20, 2013 5:01 pm

I'm late to the party, but after seeing this thread I thought I should share my experience with Fordham Admissions:

Image

User avatar
lgleye
Posts: 348
Joined: Mon Nov 14, 2011 5:41 pm

Re: Fordham Law School?

Postby lgleye » Sun Oct 20, 2013 5:24 pm

.
Last edited by lgleye on Sat Jul 05, 2014 1:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
cahwc12
Posts: 941
Joined: Mon Jul 02, 2012 4:49 pm

Re: Fordham Law School?

Postby cahwc12 » Mon Oct 21, 2013 8:35 am

lgleye wrote:Like I said, once people realized Fordham's real employment stats, many flat-out refused to pay full sticker, and thus ended the school's gravy train. You'll never get scholly outta them. Only option is to cry poverty to qualify for grants like Pell, etc., and Fordham has it primarily because it's not their money, but the governments.


Couldn't have said it better myself. This law school is a real scam.




Return to “Choosing a Law School”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Alive97, BVest and 3 guests