Fordham Law School?

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
twenty

Re: Fordham Law School?

Postby twenty » Wed Sep 25, 2013 2:12 pm

19 year old college graduate here. I thank God every hour of every day that I didn't rush into law school. Heck, even at 21, I'm glad I didn't attend law school this fall. At 22, I'll still be on the very low end of the age bracket for law school.

francesfarmer

Postby francesfarmer » Wed Sep 25, 2013 2:16 pm

twentypercentmore wrote:19 year old college graduate here. I thank God every hour of every day that I didn't rush into law school. Heck, even at 21, I'm glad I didn't attend law school this fall. At 22, I'll still be on the very low end of the age bracket for law school.

Word, I'll be 25 when I start next year, and I'm still not even a "non-traditional applicant". I'm tempted to put it off until I'm 30. The moral of the story is there's no rush, OP.

mandyjay11

Postby mandyjay11 » Wed Sep 25, 2013 2:17 pm

twentypercentmore wrote:19 year old college graduate here. I thank God every hour of every day that I didn't rush into law school. Heck, even at 21, I'm glad I didn't attend law school this fall. At 22, I'll still be on the very low end of the age bracket for law school.

I really think law school should fashion themselves after business schools and require time off. The decision to attend law school is hard enough and I'm 24.

Chowfun

Postby Chowfun » Wed Sep 25, 2013 2:22 pm

francesfarmer wrote:
Chowfun wrote:
timbs4339 wrote:I'm not sure how you are only 20 years old and foreclosed from ever earning money in anything outside law ever. Head down to the registrar's office and switch your major.

Absolutely don't go to law school. It's not a path to some kind of white collar job where you wear a a suit and get paid 85K and benefits.

Hah! fat chance. I'm graduating this year. :( I feel locked in, because I've been so ingrained into law that I don't know what else to do with myself, but I know it's not what I truly want to do. I need to think about it, but I'm going to end up doing what all other idiots do, which is go to law school because they don't know what else to do. lol which isn't funny. I'm looking now trying to explore other options.

Don't go to law school. You're 20 years old. There are careers out there that you don't even know exist. Teach english in Korea. Work at a book shop. Fuck, become a nanny! Nannies make bank in the city. Reevaluate grad school when you're 24.

I graduated college at 20 and I am thankful every day that I did not rush into law school. Every single day.

(And not to suggest that you go to law school under any circumstances since you don't want to be a lawyer, but you would need to retake the LSAT to make it worthwhile.)

Your making 100% sense! but I don't know what I'm going to do with myself. I feel weird if I'm not on a path. I'm not a person who just does things randomly. I had a lot of dreams like creating a business like a bakery, but aren't there enough of those in the city already? Also I wanted to go to culinary school, but I heard there was no money in that either. I used to want to work for a company and design clothing, but I was stuck that being a lawyer was the ticket to success. Now here I am, LOST, and I at one point was the most self assured person who knew what they wanted and everything. :/

twenty

Postby twenty » Wed Sep 25, 2013 2:38 pm

It sounds like you're not really even dead set on being an attorney to begin with. Don't pick law school because it seems to "hand" you a job -- that's going to come at a very hefty cost and three years of your life.

Frankly, I think starting a bakery or restaurant makes a lot more sense than law school for you right now.

hephaestus

Postby hephaestus » Wed Sep 25, 2013 2:43 pm

Chowfun wrote:Hah! fat chance. I'm graduating this year. :( I feel locked in, because I've been so ingrained into law that I don't know what else to do with myself, but I know it's not what I truly want to do. I need to think about it, but I'm going to end up doing what all other idiots do, which is go to law school because they don't know what else to do. lol which isn't funny. I'm looking now trying to explore other options.

This is a genuinely horrible rationalization to garner 200k+ in non-dischargeable debt. Do something else.

Chowfun

Postby Chowfun » Wed Sep 25, 2013 2:51 pm

twentypercentmore wrote:It sounds like you're not really even dead set on being an attorney to begin with. Don't pick law school because it seems to "hand" you a job -- that's going to come at a very hefty cost and three years of your life.

Frankly, I think starting a bakery or restaurant makes a lot more sense than law school for you right now.

Ugh...that's the crazy thing I just don't know. I know I'm not dead set on being an attorney, but I was under the impression that being a lawyer opens doors to other opportunities. Ahh lol I need to do some hard thinking tonight.

francesfarmer

Postby francesfarmer » Wed Sep 25, 2013 3:20 pm

Chowfun wrote:
twentypercentmore wrote:It sounds like you're not really even dead set on being an attorney to begin with. Don't pick law school because it seems to "hand" you a job -- that's going to come at a very hefty cost and three years of your life.

Ugh...that's the crazy thing I just don't know. I know I'm not dead set on being an attorney, but I was under the impression that being a lawyer opens doors to other opportunities. Ahh lol I need to do some hard thinking tonight.

Going to law school opens doors to being an attorney. Law school does not guarantee a job as a lawyer. Study lawschooltransparency.com. Nowadays law school grads have about a 50/50 shot of ever becoming a lawyer, not to mention one that makes a lot of money. (And how do you even know how much money you feel like you need to be stable/happy when you're only 20 years old? I've been supporting myself for 4 years and I'm just beginning to approximate what level of income I'd be comfortable making at my like, "real job" when I'm middle aged--and it's not as much as humanly possible. There are other important considerations like self-fulfillment, hours, lifestyle, work culture, etc. that you're not considering.) On top of that, being an attorney does not open doors to doing other things. We are living in a new era. Don't believe your shitboomer parents and their friends when they tell you that becoming an attorney is an easy ticket to a high-prestige, high-pay job in some other vaguely related field. They are fucking wrong.

Do something you love or at least like. It's ok to be directionless while you figure out what that is.

twenty

Postby twenty » Wed Sep 25, 2013 3:23 pm

Let's dispel one huge myth right now; going to law school doesn't open doors, it closes them. If you think you might want to go open a bakery, do that NOW, not after you're saddled with 75k-250k of non-dischargable debt. The only reason you should be going to law school is if you want to be an attorney.

It might be helpful to think of it as a super-expensive music school. When you graduate after three years of music school with a huge amount of student debt, the only thing you're going to be doing is music. If you want to do anything else other than music, don't go to music school.

blsingindisguise

Postby blsingindisguise » Wed Sep 25, 2013 3:36 pm

It's funny to say "aren't there enough of those in the city already" as a rationalization against opening a bakery when you're talking about becoming a LAWYER.

timbs4339

Postby timbs4339 » Wed Sep 25, 2013 3:37 pm

Law school may provide some marginal benefit to getting certain kind of quasi-legal jobs, like compliance. If you go from a shitty UG to an elite law school (CLS/NYU in your case), you might also get a leg up to apply for jobs in consulting.

But that benefit is VASTLY outweighed by the downside, you're stuck with six-figures of student loan debt that starts to come due six months after graduation. You spend three years out of the workforce. People don't like to hire lawyers. People are going to wonder how dumb/lazy you are to spend three years in law school and never work as a lawyer.

It's the typical law school propaganda- present any marginal benefit in a vacuum as if there is no downside.

timbs4339

Postby timbs4339 » Wed Sep 25, 2013 3:38 pm

blsingindisguise wrote:It's funny to say "aren't there enough of those in the city already" as a rationalization against opening a bakery when you're talking about becoming a LAWYER.

Too true.

Chowfun

Postby Chowfun » Wed Sep 25, 2013 3:46 pm

I see you guys are most likely right, but I already invested so much in law school well at least the thought. I might as well see where I get into. I'm taking lsat in December. I already asked for recommendations. I all already sent transcripts... I wish I would have known this sooner.

TheJanitor6203

Postby TheJanitor6203 » Wed Sep 25, 2013 4:02 pm

I'm not sure if OP is trolling or not.. This whole thread is sad but yet funny. I don't understand how people can come to the internet and ask "What should I do with my life strangers?" No one knows what they want to do at age 20 and even if they did, it would probably change. As many have said, if you aren't certain that being a lawyer is what you want to do, don't go to law school. That is the craziest thing ever! If you think you may want to be a lawyer but you're really not sure, get a job as a paralegal or something. You're practically a kid and you're saying you have so much "emotionally" invested in becoming a lawyer it's too late to turn back. That honestly made me laugh out loud. I'm about to go to law school after investing 9 years into a career that I am now abandoning. Chill out, go backpack across Europe. Go on a humanitarian trip to some 3rd world country, get a job at a bakery to see if maybe you really do want to open a bakery of your own.

Chowfun

Postby Chowfun » Wed Sep 25, 2013 4:35 pm

TheJanitor6203 wrote:I'm not sure if OP is trolling or not.. This whole thread is sad but yet funny. I don't understand how people can come to the internet and ask "What should I do with my life strangers?" No one knows what they want to do at age 20 and even if they did, it would probably change. As many have said, if you aren't certain that being a lawyer is what you want to do, don't go to law school. That is the craziest thing ever! If you think you may want to be a lawyer but you're really not sure, get a job as a paralegal or something. You're practically a kid and you're saying you have so much "emotionally" invested in becoming a lawyer it's too late to turn back. That honestly made me laugh out loud. I'm about to go to law school after investing 9 years into a career that I am now abandoning. Chill out, go backpack across Europe. Go on a humanitarian trip to some 3rd world country, get a job at a bakery to see if maybe you really do want to open a bakery of your own.

Unfortunately I'm not trolling, and I do realize how I don't feel comfortable making my own decisions. I usually consult the advice of others and usually leave it up to them to make the decision. I've always been unsure of myself, and because I usually live to please my parents. I find it hard not go to law school even though I really do not want to go, I think. I somehow have it in my head that if I don't start on my career now, I will fail at life, or I wont be successful that people will think less of me...if I'm graduating undergrad and don't have a career or job in place. Ugh...I need to get my life.

twenty

Postby twenty » Wed Sep 25, 2013 4:54 pm

but I already invested so much in law school well at least the thought. I might as well see where I get into. I'm taking lsat in December. I already asked for recommendations. I all already sent transcripts... I wish I would have known this sooner.

At the point where you haven't even started applying yet, you haven't "invested" anything in law school. Trust me, you'll feel invested enough once you see that dollar sign on your federal student loan page.

TheJanitor6203

Postby TheJanitor6203 » Wed Sep 25, 2013 4:55 pm

Your problem is that you seem to care way too much about what people think about you and what society says you should do. Stop caring about what others think and about what society says you should do and just do what you want. It's your life. It's much less stressful and you'll enjoy your life. Pleasing your parents is great but you're an adult. If they don't like what you do tell them to suck it. Are they going to foot the entire COA of law school? If not, they have absolutely 0 right to be upset about you not going. It isn't too late to decide you want to do _____. Hell, you still have at least another 10 years before it's too late. However, after you're a lawyer (and miserable), 30 years from now, when your parents die and you no longer have to live your life to make them happy, it probably will be too late to change career field.

kwais

Postby kwais » Wed Sep 25, 2013 5:39 pm

You say you are not the kind of person that goes off plan. Well, no one is really that kind of person until they do it. What you are really saying is that it is scary. And that can be true. But, objectively, it is better to take time off. Since you are unsure you want to practice law, make the scary decision to take time off. Move to a new city or stay in NY, take work wherever (bookstore, coffee shop) and then reassess. Take the LSAT until you get what you want. Talk to the hundreds of law students who did this. I've never heard a single one say they regretted that time.

blsingindisguise

Postby blsingindisguise » Wed Sep 25, 2013 5:42 pm

twentypercentmore wrote:
but I already invested so much in law school well at least the thought. I might as well see where I get into. I'm taking lsat in December. I already asked for recommendations. I all already sent transcripts... I wish I would have known this sooner.

At the point where you haven't even started applying yet, you haven't "invested" anything in law school. Trust me, you'll feel invested enough once you see that dollar sign on your federal student loan page.

Exactly. I mean there's no harm in taking the LSAT and seeing how you do, but rationalizing that you've "invested" in law school at that point would be like marrying a girl you don't like because "Well, I've already dated her for three months"

I was out of school six years before I went to law school, which gave me time to explore other paths, and I'm glad I did. I was willing to take a gamble on a T2 full ride because I just didn't have many other options with my English degree and crummy GPA from a mediocre university, so my high LSAT was pretty much the best shot I had at a career at that point. It worked out ok for me, but I can think of plenty of people from my class who made a similar bet and lost.

Chowfun

Postby Chowfun » Wed Sep 25, 2013 5:45 pm

TheJanitor6203 wrote:Your problem is that you seem to care way too much about what people think about you and what society says you should do. Stop caring about what others think and about what society says you should do and just do what you want. It's your life. It's much less stressful and you'll enjoy your life. Pleasing your parents is great but you're an adult. If they don't like what you do tell them to suck it. Are they going to foot the entire COA of law school? If not, they have absolutely 0 right to be upset about you not going. It isn't too late to decide you want to do _____. Hell, you still have at least another 10 years before it's too late. However, after you're a lawyer (and miserable), 30 years from now, when your parents die and you no longer have to live your life to make them happy, it probably will be too late to change career field.

Your right, but it's so hard. they aren't upset, but I feel like I'm letting them down. I really need to find myself. I don't even know what I really want to do. I honestly need to relax and get over myself. It's not the end of the world. I just feel a little lost.

guano

Postby guano » Wed Sep 25, 2013 6:12 pm

Chowfun

Postby Chowfun » Wed Sep 25, 2013 8:59 pm

blsingindisguise wrote:
twentypercentmore wrote:

Exactly. I mean there's no harm in taking the LSAT and seeing how you do, but rationalizing that you've "invested" in law school at that point would be like marrying a girl you don't like because "Well, I've already dated her for three months"

I was out of school six years before I went to law school, which gave me time to explore other paths, and I'm glad I did. I was willing to take a gamble on a T2 full ride because I just didn't have many other options with my English degree and crummy GPA from a mediocre university, so my high LSAT was pretty much the best shot I had at a career at that point. It worked out ok for me, but I can think of plenty of people from my class who made a similar bet and lost.

Lol when you put it that way it makes everything so clear. I'm going to take the LSAT and apply to my top schools. What happens will determine what moves I make. Thanks for that advice

Chowfun

Postby Chowfun » Wed Sep 25, 2013 9:00 pm

guano wrote:http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=216999

That was the most unfortunate thing I read all day, but it did answer my early question. Wow just one link did it. I'm so disappointed.

ronanOgara

Postby ronanOgara » Thu Sep 26, 2013 12:42 am

The guy who practically founded my school, drexel law, went to Fordham. So....go to Fordham, pay for a new law school, and profit....boom

jingosaur

Postby jingosaur » Thu Sep 26, 2013 10:09 am

A couple of words of advice to the OP:

1. If you end up decided that law is the right route for you, retake the LSAT. You sound like someone who underperformed on the LSAT and now you're trying to legitimize going to a school that is below your standards.

2. You will not be accepted to a JD/MBA program out of UG because MBA programs strongly require work experience. You won't be a strong candidate for a JD/MBA program (unless you do something amazing) until you'll have 3 years of WE upon matriculation. Also, don't do a JD/MBA program until you have a defined goal of what you want to do with it. It's a lot more expensive that just a JD and the extra salary, if there even is more money, won't pay for the extra cost.

3. At 20, it sounds like you need to mature a little bit before you figure out what to do long term. Go out and get some life experience, maybe some that will get you some money, and use that experience to decide what you want to do.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”