Fordham Law School? Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
dreamofNYC

Bronze

Re: Fordham Law School?

Post by dreamofNYC » Thu Feb 13, 2014 2:49 pm

Chowfun wrote:
ImNoScar wrote:
Chowfun wrote:Quality of education...how they stand against their peers, school selectivity.... but wehn I think about it...Job placement is one if not my top concern.
Smart realization. Literally nothing else matters besides the cost and job placement. School choice should not relate to any other factor. Fordham is in a band of schools that has matriculants that are near identical to the lower T14 (we are talking a difference of 2-5 Lsat questions). At the same time, its big law placement is literally half or less than the lower T14. Retake until you get into the T14, or can go to a school for free. The problem is that schools in this band (e.g. Fordham/BC/BU/GWU) rarely give enough money that taking them over a lower T14 is a smart decision.
smh... this is disheartening. the part time program at Fordham looked so appealing. NYU and Columbia don't offer that and I do not know the day in the life of a typical L1 is.

I really do want to attend NYU or Columbia...but woo with my stats.. I don't know. I'm not Eding to anywhere either. I also planned to do a dual degree and get my MBA... meh... so would you consider backup schools, or is this just a retake and try again system till you get into the most desired school thing?
I feel the same way, disheartened whenever I hear "it's either T14 or die". I work full-time and to me Fordham, which is the only decent school in NYC offering a PT program, is really a great option. Plus knowledge is knowledge. And I believe you can do well no matter what you do as long as you are passionate about it. My 2 cents. Or am I too idealistic in this cynical world?

TheSpanishMain

Gold

Post by TheSpanishMain » Thu Feb 13, 2014 2:54 pm

dreamofNYC wrote:Plus knowledge is knowledge. And I believe you can do well no matter what you do as long as you are passionate about it. My 2 cents. Or am I too idealistic in this cynical world?
Passion is all well and good, but you can't pay off crippling debt with "passion."

dreamofNYC

Bronze

Post by dreamofNYC » Thu Feb 13, 2014 3:02 pm

fordhamlawagent wrote:
Danger Zone wrote:
fordhamlawagent wrote:After 3 years here, yes, I am making well over half a million. And Fordham did that for me.
First off, no you aren't. Second, I want to reiterate that you most certainly are not. And finally, Fordham can be a good investment in some circumstances, but you'd be delusional to think this is a typical (or even possible) outcome.

Just want to make sure that any potential Fordham students don't take seriously the ill-informed opinions of people like Danger Zone (who probably hasn't even graduated law school yet but feels qualified to register his opinion on my salary).

As I said, my outcome is very atypical - I was lucky enough to secure an internship at an agency during my 2L summer that turned into a full-time job. That being said, I want to make clear that Fordham is NOT the feast or famine school TLS makes it out to be. The reporting data used in this thread is incomplete and to think that only 40% of Fordham grads have jobs is ridiculous. This is not Touro Law, OK.

As I said earlier, and as others have also mentioned on this thread, Fordham has a great reputation in NY and if this is the market you want to be in then even being around median at Fordham will land you a job somewhere (maybe not through EIW or OCI, but only 10% of students get their jobs from there anyway). Also, living in NY during law school was a great and worthwhile experience in itself and I enjoyed all 3 of my years at Fordham and so did all my friends. Everyone I know from my class is working somewhere (some in biglaw, some in shitlaw, some in gov't).

Please don't let the elitist and pessimistic 0L/1Ls that plague this board actually influence your decision on where to go to law school. And please, don't listen to me either and decide that Fordham is a worthwhile investment. I only came on here to give the viewers a side of the story that is completely missing from this thread, from someone who ACTUALLY went to Fordham. Going to law school is a huge decision, and you should consult your friends, family and professional network (and NOT TLS or the US News Ranking).
This is not Touro Law, OK.
I love you. Thank you. I was looking for this kind of info coming from someone who went to Fordham.

BTW, would you be so kind as to let me know whether I would be competitive at Fordham. My stats are as follows:

LSAT: 163 (I know, blah... )
GPA: 3.9 (possibly lower when LSAC digests all my transcripts from my education in Europe)
Work experience: 7 years with a mid-town based private equity firm investing in environmental markets (I worked closely with the General Counsel on compliance, transnational work, fund administration tasks).

Thank you again and look forward to hearing from you soon.

dreamofNYC

Bronze

Post by dreamofNYC » Thu Feb 13, 2014 3:03 pm

TheSpanishMain wrote:
dreamofNYC wrote:Plus knowledge is knowledge. And I believe you can do well no matter what you do as long as you are passionate about it. My 2 cents. Or am I too idealistic in this cynical world?
Passion is all well and good, but you can't pay off crippling debt with "passion."
I agree...

burtmacklin

New

Post by burtmacklin » Thu Feb 13, 2014 3:06 pm

When considering Fordham's job placement, what is considered a reasonable level of debt then? I would imagine COL is the biggest problem, but if you've got solid options in that regard, is half-scholly doable?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

guano

Gold

Post by guano » Thu Feb 13, 2014 7:25 pm

burtmacklin wrote:When considering Fordham's job placement, what is considered a reasonable level of debt then? I would imagine COL is the biggest problem, but if you've got solid options in that regard, is half-scholly doable?
it's probably a minimum requirement

froglee

New

Post by froglee » Fri Feb 14, 2014 12:37 pm

dreamofNYC wrote:
Chowfun wrote:
ImNoScar wrote:
Chowfun wrote:Quality of education...how they stand against their peers, school selectivity.... but wehn I think about it...Job placement is one if not my top concern.
Smart realization. Literally nothing else matters besides the cost and job placement. School choice should not relate to any other factor. Fordham is in a band of schools that has matriculants that are near identical to the lower T14 (we are talking a difference of 2-5 Lsat questions). At the same time, its big law placement is literally half or less than the lower T14. Retake until you get into the T14, or can go to a school for free. The problem is that schools in this band (e.g. Fordham/BC/BU/GWU) rarely give enough money that taking them over a lower T14 is a smart decision.
smh... this is disheartening. the part time program at Fordham looked so appealing. NYU and Columbia don't offer that and I do not know the day in the life of a typical L1 is.

I really do want to attend NYU or Columbia...but woo with my stats.. I don't know. I'm not Eding to anywhere either. I also planned to do a dual degree and get my MBA... meh... so would you consider backup schools, or is this just a retake and try again system till you get into the most desired school thing?
I feel the same way, disheartened whenever I hear "it's either T14 or die". I work full-time and to me Fordham, which is the only decent school in NYC offering a PT program, is really a great option. Plus knowledge is knowledge. And I believe you can do well no matter what you do as long as you are passionate about it. My 2 cents. Or am I too idealistic in this cynical world?
In fact you are quite idealistic. Millions of people have millions of different kind of things they are passionate about. Only very few can succeed by doing things they are passionate about by being in the right place and right time. And sooner or later, you are going to be forced to face the fact that your passion does not mean anything to the world or bring food on the table, if it does not add value to the society.

Nova

Platinum

Post by Nova » Sat Feb 15, 2014 10:41 pm

To the 3.9/163 poster

Of course you're competive for Fordham.

Use mylsn.info

dreamofNYC

Bronze

Post by dreamofNYC » Sat Feb 22, 2014 12:29 am

Nova wrote:To the 3.9/163 poster

Use mylsn.info
Thank you. All the feedback I've received so far was more negative than positive. Meaning, if I am right on the Median LSAT, I get approx. 40% in chance only. Your words give me hope.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

lgleye

Bronze

Post by lgleye » Sat Jul 05, 2014 1:08 pm

mephistopheles

Gold

Post by mephistopheles » Sun Jul 06, 2014 4:48 pm

dreamofNYC wrote:
Nova wrote:To the 3.9/163 poster

Use mylsn.info
Thank you. All the feedback I've received so far was more negative than positive. Meaning, if I am right on the Median LSAT, I get approx. 40% in chance only. Your words give me hope.
you sound stupid

Platinum

Post by 03152016 » Mon Jul 07, 2014 4:03 am

▀▀█▀▀ █░░█ █▀▀   ▒█▀▀▀ █▀▀█ █▀▀█ █▀▀▄ █░░█ █▀▀█ █▀▄▀█  
░▒█░░ █▀▀█ █▀▀   ▒█▀▀▀ █░░█ █▄▄▀ █░░█ █▀▀█ █▄▄█ █░▀░█  
░▒█░░ ▀░░▀ ▀▀▀   ▒█░░░ ▀▀▀▀ ▀░▀▀ ▀▀▀░ ▀░░▀ ▀░░▀ ▀░░░▀  

▒█░░░ █▀▀█ █░░░█   ▒█▀▀▄ ░▀░ █▀▀ █▀▀ █▀▀ █▀▀█ █▀▀ █▀▀▄ █▀▀ █▀▀
▒█░░░ █▄▄█ █▄█▄█   ▒█░▒█ ▀█▀ █▀▀ █▀▀ █▀▀ █▄▄▀ █▀▀ █░░█ █░░ █▀▀
▒█▄▄█ ▀░░▀ ░▀░▀░   ▒█▄▄▀ ▀▀▀ ▀░░ ▀░░ ▀▀▀ ▀░▀▀ ▀▀▀ ▀░░▀ ▀▀▀ ▀▀▀

Here, a solid grounding in legal theory is balanced with hands-on learning about the craft of lawyering. Our students benefit from a curriculum and faculty that has earned a reputation for excellence. Their studies are enriched by essential and innovative international opportunities. And they graduate prepared to practice law--from day one.
29% of the class completely unemployed or in short-term/part-time stints a full nine months after graduation

At Fordham Law, a spirit of service has been central since our founding in 1905. Our focus on ethics help students navigate the difficult issues they'll face as they pursue careers in our increasingly complex world. Our community of alumni provides a supportive network around the country and around the globe. And our dynamic location in New York City ensures our students access to opportunities that can only be found in a world-class city.
Only 63.4% of the Class of 2013 actually secured long-term, full-time, JD-required jobs

Fordham Law’s unique approach to legal education has rightly earned the School widespread praise as a leader among American law schools. In fact, Fordham Law is considered one of the top law schools by U.S. News & World Report.
One out of every seven "employed" students was in a short-term, part-time, or non-professional gig funded by the school

In terms of ranks and measures, the results of our compelling approach to legal education are excellent. As a top law school, Fordham Law is very selective. The School is one of the top 25 most selective law schools in the nation, measured in terms of the LSAT scores of its most recent entering class.
LSAT median has dropped every year for the last three years, along with every other measure of student selectivity

also obligatory: wtf is a fordham

Nova

Platinum

Post by Nova » Mon Jul 07, 2014 4:10 am

lgleye wrote:.
y bump this punching bag

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”