Good Corporate/Business law programs?

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
timbs4339

Re: Good Corporate/Business law programs?

Postby timbs4339 » Thu Sep 26, 2013 11:11 pm

amc5769 wrote:I've been pondering a lot whether I want to do MBA, JD or both concurrently, still not sure what I'd like to do.

I was thinking maybe try to get a job on the dark side (SEC). Avg salary for a lawyer is over $100k.

Correction: Avg salary for a lawyer was over 100k when they still had an entry-level hiring program. Advanced Commitment Program has been suspended for the last few years. Good luck getting a job there now unless you work biglaw for a few years.

amc5769

Postby amc5769 » Fri Sep 27, 2013 1:54 pm

would you say there's 0 benefit to going for my MBA right out of undergrad? It wouldn't be the first time i've heard that and perhaps it would behoove me to take a year or two off to work in the financial industry then go back for an MBA once i've had some in-field experience.

timbs4339

Postby timbs4339 » Fri Sep 27, 2013 2:11 pm

amc5769 wrote:would you say there's 0 benefit to going for my MBA right out of undergrad? It wouldn't be the first time i've heard that and perhaps it would behoove me to take a year or two off to work in the financial industry then go back for an MBA once i've had some in-field experience.

Huge downside, very little possibility of a reward. Something you should probably learn if you want to go into finance.

jbagelboy

Postby jbagelboy » Fri Sep 27, 2013 2:31 pm

timbs4339 wrote:
amc5769 wrote:would you say there's 0 benefit to going for my MBA right out of undergrad? It wouldn't be the first time i've heard that and perhaps it would behoove me to take a year or two off to work in the financial industry then go back for an MBA once i've had some in-field experience.

Huge downside, very little possibility of a reward. Something you should probably learn if you want to go into finance.

Besides, any MBA program worth attending wouldnt admit you without 2-3 years WE

guano

Postby guano » Fri Sep 27, 2013 2:35 pm

First off, (to my knowledge) no reputable MBA program accepts students without work experience. Second, experience matters a lot, and an MBA aline isn't enough.

The exception here is if you get into an M7 and want to go into Ibanking or consulting, but that's a different discussion

cahwc12

Postby cahwc12 » Wed Oct 02, 2013 8:23 am

timbs4339 wrote:
amc5769 wrote:I've been pondering a lot whether I want to do MBA, JD or both concurrently, still not sure what I'd like to do.

I was thinking maybe try to get a job on the dark side (SEC). Avg salary for a lawyer is over $100k.

Correction: Avg salary for a lawyer was over 100k when they still had an entry-level hiring program. Advanced Commitment Program has been suspended for the last few years. Good luck getting a job there now unless you work biglaw for a few years.

$100k/yr x 0.06% chance of landing a job there = Consolation prize / Plan B

seems like a legitimate answer. OP is clearly grounded in reality with no delusions of grandeur and will be fine whichever path he chooses.

JCougar

Postby JCougar » Thu Oct 03, 2013 1:19 am

If you go to Oregon, the SEC simply will not hire you. They only hire from the top schools.

cahwc12

Postby cahwc12 » Thu Oct 03, 2013 8:25 am

JCougar wrote:

If you go to Oregon, the SEC simply will not hire you. They only hire from the top schools.

I think a potentially estranged mystery relative with direct influence is worth at least 0.06%.

[citation_omitted]

Postby [citation_omitted] » Fri Oct 25, 2013 11:07 pm

timbs4339 wrote:You’ve hardly wrinkled your suit.

Lost it here.

IpleadtheFiF

Postby IpleadtheFiF » Sat Oct 26, 2013 12:39 am

timbs4339 wrote:8:00 AM: Awaken in penthouse apartment. Daily routine of crunches you started in law school- you’re up to 1000 now. Pick from closet full of dark, expensive tailored suits.

I knew this post was going to be 180 when I read this.

amc5769 wrote:as far as the connection....it's my father's fiance who is a CEO for a healthcare corp in Oregon.

Why not take advantage of the connection now? I hate to paint a grim picture but in the event that your father and stepmother-to-be get a divorce, or she dies, that job opportunity is gone. Plus, I have NEVER heard a dean or associate dean of admissions claim that meaningful post-undergrad work experience negatively impacts a student's judgement in deciding to attend law school, chances at being admitted, law school experience, or post-law school employment opportunities. In every interview I have read, they have encouraged kids to pursue some kind of work or otherwise valuable life experience before applying.

http://www.top-law-schools.com/interviews.html

Return to “Choosing a Law School”