Should I apply Early Decision to Northwestern?

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
victor_yuan59

Should I apply Early Decision to Northwestern?

Postby victor_yuan59 » Wed Sep 18, 2013 2:54 pm

I'm kind of in the middle of dilemma now. Northwestern promises that once you are admitted via early decision process, you'll be automatically offered a $50,000 merit based scholarship per year for all three J.D program years. It's been great news for me since I really need this money to get me through law school.but the problem is that northwestern isn't my first choice, I'd rather go to U Michigan or UVA or U Penn. yet I'm not sure whether they'll give me so much money as northwestern does. I heard someone got a $45k scholarship from U Michigan, it'll be fantastic for me since Michigan is truly my dream school. So... Long story short: should I take a chance, not to apply for ED to northwestern ad hope other schools could give me more/same/slightly less money OR should I just do the ED of northwestern?

My GPA is around 3.75 LSAT 174/178 (first time and retook)

onionz

Re: Should I apply Early Decision to Northwestern?

Postby onionz » Wed Sep 18, 2013 2:59 pm

victor_yuan59 wrote:I'm kind of in the middle of dilemma now. Northwestern promises that once you are admitted via early decision process, you'll be automatically offered a $50,000 merit based scholarship per year for all three J.D program years. It's been great news for me since I really need this money to get me through law school.but the problem is that northwestern isn't my first choice, I'd rather go to U Michigan or UVA or U Penn. yet I'm not sure whether they'll give me so much money as northwestern does. I heard someone got a $45k scholarship from U Michigan, it'll be fantastic for me since Michigan is truly my dream school. So... Long story short: should I take a chance, not to apply for ED to northwestern ad hope other schools could give me more/same/slightly less money OR should I just do the ED of northwestern?

Those numbers should get you the ED scholarship. I can see the argument for Penn, but why UVA or Mich over NU? They're having a harder time placing graduates (esp. if you remove the students UVA hires themselves). If you provide some more backrgound on what you want to do with a law degree, it might help shed light on whether committing to NU ED makes sense for you.

enoca

Postby enoca » Wed Sep 18, 2013 3:02 pm

Are you inside my head right now?

hephaestus

Postby hephaestus » Wed Sep 18, 2013 3:03 pm

onionz wrote:
victor_yuan59 wrote:I'm kind of in the middle of dilemma now. Northwestern promises that once you are admitted via early decision process, you'll be automatically offered a $50,000 merit based scholarship per year for all three J.D program years. It's been great news for me since I really need this money to get me through law school.but the problem is that northwestern isn't my first choice, I'd rather go to U Michigan or UVA or U Penn. yet I'm not sure whether they'll give me so much money as northwestern does. I heard someone got a $45k scholarship from U Michigan, it'll be fantastic for me since Michigan is truly my dream school. So... Long story short: should I take a chance, not to apply for ED to northwestern ad hope other schools could give me more/same/slightly less money OR should I just do the ED of northwestern?

Those numbers should get you the ED scholarship. I can see the argument for Penn, but why UVA or Mich over NU? They're having a harder time placing graduates (esp. if you remove the students UVA hires themselves). If you provide some more backrgound on what you want to do with a law degree, it might help shed light on whether committing to NU ED makes sense for you.

Yeah with your numbers I would ED. I do not see a compelling reason for taking Michigan over NU at an equal price (which is assuming you would get a similar scholarship).

onionz

Postby onionz » Wed Sep 18, 2013 3:04 pm

Honestly, looking at mylsn.info those numbers will get you decent money at a lot of schools and you would be competitive for H and CCN... no interest in them? especially in another down cycle you might do even better.... again I think it depends on a lot on what you want to do outta school.

victor_yuan59

Postby victor_yuan59 » Wed Sep 18, 2013 3:06 pm

onionz wrote:

Upenn is a tough one, as for Michigan, i personally would rather practice law in New York than Chicago and Mich does send a lot of its graduates to NYC whereas NU is mostly for Chicago. I guess every school in t14-t6 are having a hard time placing their graduates.
My bachelor degree is international politics, so I guess international law would be my first career choice but I won't refuse to work for a law firm. So this hasn't been decided yet. Anyway, lets say we put aside Mich and UVA, what should I when it comes to northwestern v. Penn

victor_yuan59

Postby victor_yuan59 » Wed Sep 18, 2013 3:08 pm

onionz wrote:Honestly, looking at mylsn.info those numbers will get you decent money at a lot of schools and you would be competitive for H and CCN... no interest in them? especially in another down cycle you might do even better.... again I think it depends on a lot on what you want to do outta school.

Well I definitely have interest in them but I see slim chances they might give me $$$. NYU or Columbia are both really awesome for me but I don't really think they are that generous when it comes to international students

victor_yuan59

Postby victor_yuan59 » Wed Sep 18, 2013 3:11 pm

enoca wrote:Are you inside my head right now?

lol that's what I thought when I finished posting this thread and went back to the forum list, I saw another exactly same question standing right next to mine, and I was like whaaaaat? Anyway tell me when u make up ur mind

victor_yuan59

Postby victor_yuan59 » Wed Sep 18, 2013 3:33 pm

ImNoScar wrote:
onionz wrote:

Yeah with your numbers I would ED. I do not see a compelling reason for taking Michigan over NU at an equal price (which is assuming you would get a similar scholarship).

I'm not sure whether Mich would give me the same scholarship, I'm having a hard time figuring things out here, things seem to be different here in China, a lot of ppl would recommend Mich over NU... Well is NU better from an American's viewpoint?

Monochromatic Oeuvre

Postby Monochromatic Oeuvre » Wed Sep 18, 2013 5:11 pm

victor_yuan59 wrote:
onionz wrote:Honestly, looking at mylsn.info those numbers will get you decent money at a lot of schools and you would be competitive for H and CCN... no interest in them? especially in another down cycle you might do even better.... again I think it depends on a lot on what you want to do outta school.

Well I definitely have interest in them but I see slim chances they might give me $$$. NYU or Columbia are both really awesome for me but I don't really think they are that generous when it comes to international students

Who told you that? It's entirely incorrect.

Harvard or Butler is TCR.

Tiago Splitter

Postby Tiago Splitter » Wed Sep 18, 2013 5:12 pm

You have a good chance at Harvard with those numbers and they provide institutional loans in addition to need based aid. Do not ED. You'll still have a good chance for 150K or close to it from NU if you demonstrate interest in the school and have the necessary work experience.

victor_yuan59

Postby victor_yuan59 » Wed Sep 18, 2013 9:24 pm

Tiago Splitter wrote:You have a good chance at Harvard with those numbers and they provide institutional loans in addition to need based aid. Do not ED. You'll still have a good chance for 150K or close to it from NU if you demonstrate interest in the school and have the necessary work experience.

What's been haunting me is that there stands a great chance that I might not be able to get in Harvard, and that I wouldn't get enough money from other schools. Also if I give up ED to NU, I would probably lose both sides, since I really need that money. So generally speaking, when it comes to any other schools other than YHS, I would go for the one who gives me most money, and I don't see a great possibility that I could give full ride scholarships from other schools. I'm from China, not URM, not every school is very generous to international students

victor_yuan59

Postby victor_yuan59 » Wed Sep 18, 2013 9:28 pm

Monochromatic Oeuvre wrote:
victor_yuan59 wrote:

Who told you that? It's entirely incorrect.

Harvard or Butler is TCR.

So you are also suggesting me not going for ED?

sinfiery

Postby sinfiery » Wed Sep 18, 2013 10:28 pm

If money is a concern, you should definitely take NU full ride over CCN with half $$.

HLS is the only real option that should have you second guessing. 174/8 3.75 gets a very strong chance at HLS nowdays. Not sure how the international aspect changes this though.

As for NU offering full rides to those who didn't apply ED, that is, from what I've noticed and I could be wrong, an offer to deffer for a year and then attend the following year. Is that something you could do?

The ideal situation would be to apply widely whilst not EDing, see how it plays out (Very strong chance at HLS/likely at least 30-35k/year somewhere at a minimum), and if things don't work out, ED NU next year.

Otherwise, I would apply everywhere on day 1 and if you don't have something near as good as the full ride at NU by Dec 1, send in the ED application.

victor_yuan59

Postby victor_yuan59 » Wed Sep 18, 2013 11:59 pm

sinfiery wrote:If money is a concern, you should definitely take NU full ride over CCN with half $$.

HLS is the only real option that should have you second guessing. 174/8 3.75 gets a very strong chance at HLS nowdays. Not sure how the international aspect changes this though.

As for NU offering full rides to those who didn't apply ED, that is, from what I've noticed and I could be wrong, an offer to deffer for a year and then attend the following year. Is that something you could do?

The ideal situation would be to apply widely whilst not EDing, see how it plays out (Very strong chance at HLS/likely at least 30-35k/year somewhere at a minimum), and if things don't work out, ED NU next year.

Otherwise, I would apply everywhere on day 1 and if you don't have something near as good as the full ride at NU by Dec 1, send in the ED application.

Very good suggestion! Thank you very much! I think I'd combine your two suggestions together, that is, I'd apply everywhere on day 1 and if I don't have something near as good as they full ride at NU by Dec 1, I'd go for the ED NU, and if I got turned down again, I'd go for work for another year and apply next year.
And as for an offer to deffer for a year and then attend the following year, that's more than something I could do, that's something I'd LOVE to do, I've always wanted a gap year or something.

victor_yuan59

Postby victor_yuan59 » Thu Sep 19, 2013 12:10 am

sinfiery wrote:If money is a concern, you should definitely take NU full ride over CCN with half $$.

Oh, one problem here, I don't think I could get any RD enrollment information by Dec 1 since RD results of most schools won't come out until Feb or something

sinfiery

Postby sinfiery » Thu Sep 19, 2013 12:16 am

victor_yuan59 wrote:And as for an offer to deffer for a year and then attend the following year, that's more than something I could do, that's something I'd LOVE to do, I've always wanted a gap year or something.

If that's the case, you should probably not ED the first cycle to NU even if by Dec 1st, you have no amazing offers to date. Save it for the next year. I don't think applying to the same program two times in a row particularly helps your application much anyways. If you were to get in this year, you will likely again the next. Same for not getting in.

Two reasons:
1) If you express this interest in your NU application and add the caveat that you would be gaining WE in the year off, you will, with your numbers, have a very strong chance to be given the deffered 150k scholarship non binding offer.
1A) Harvard let in people with your numbers at the very end of the cycle (think as recent as 20 days ago for this school year) so if nothing comes by Dec 1st, there is a long time left for things to play out in your favor.

2) Taking a gap year is almost always the right answer

victor_yuan59 wrote:Oh, one problem here, I don't think I could get any RD enrollment information by Dec 1 since RD results of most schools won't come out until Feb or something

If you apply on the day applications open, it depends on the school. HLS stars rolling out offers before but most come after. CCN you are out of luck. Michigan has a lot of early offers and a lot of late offers. Duke will tell you by then if you are in their accelerated acceptance program. UVA will get back to you quickly.

You won't have a full picture but it is something. Though given you are willing/wanting to take a gap year, I would just let the cycle play out fully.

Myself

Postby Myself » Thu Sep 19, 2013 12:24 am

Last edited by Myself on Sun Nov 24, 2013 11:58 pm, edited 2 times in total.

victor_yuan59

Postby victor_yuan59 » Thu Sep 19, 2013 12:26 am

sinfiery wrote:
victor_yuan59 wrote:And as for an offer to deffer for a year and then attend the following year, that's more than something I could do, that's something I'd LOVE to do, I've always wanted a gap year or something.

If that's the case, you should probably not ED the first cycle to NU even if by Dec 1st, you have no amazing offers to date. Save it for the next year. I don't think applying to the same program two times in a row particularly helps your application much anyways. If you were to get in this year, you will likely again the next. Same for not getting in.

Two reasons:
1) If you express this interest in your NU application and add the caveat that you would be gaining WE in the year off, you will, with your numbers, have a very strong chance to be given the deffered 150k scholarship non binding offer.
1A) Harvard let in people with your numbers at the very end of the cycle (think as recent as 20 days ago for this school year) so if nothing comes by Dec 1st, there is a long time left for things to play out in your favor.

2) Taking a gap year is almost always the right answer

victor_yuan59 wrote:Oh, one problem here, I don't think I could get any RD enrollment information by Dec 1 since RD results of most schools won't come out until Feb or something

If you apply on the day applications open, it depends on the school. HLS stars rolling out offers before but most come after. CCN you are out of luck. Michigan has a lot of early offers and a lot of late offers. Duke will tell you by then if you are in their accelerated acceptance program. UVA will get back to you quickly.

You won't have a full picture but it is something. Though given you are willing/wanting to take a gap year, I would just let the cycle play out fully.

Got it! Then I guess I would take your advice and not ED any school, if I got turned down by the schools I want to get in, I'd take a gap year! Thanks a lot!

victor_yuan59

Postby victor_yuan59 » Thu Sep 19, 2013 12:27 am

ajax adonis wrote:I wouldn't ED. Apply there regularly and be sure to apply to the T6 with your numbers.

Wow seems like everyone is suggesting me not going for ED.. money is a big issue, but yeah as I posted earlier, I won't ED now, see how things go, if things won't work out, I'd go for a gap year. Anyway, thanks for your advice :)

jbagelboy

Postby jbagelboy » Thu Sep 19, 2013 10:58 am

If you are a senior in college right now, why apply at all? Seems silly to me when you could solidify your shot at Harvard by raising your GPA to 3.8 and polish your resume/interviewing with strong WE. I would wait a year to apply regardless -- Northwestern likes work experience too. If the rush for you is that you are afraid you wont find green card/student visa supported employers, I can understand the anxiety there but you should be able to find a way around it. If you are at a highly regarded college, large firms will come to campus to recruit and they will support your visa.

Pm for any questions or clarification why I think finishing your senior year before applying is such a stronger option for you, esp after you said you'd "love" to take time off from school.

Nelson

Postby Nelson » Thu Sep 19, 2013 1:15 pm

You'll get at least one lower T14 full ride without ED and you have an excellent shot at Harvard. Don't ED.

victor_yuan59

Postby victor_yuan59 » Thu Sep 19, 2013 2:38 pm

Nelson wrote:You'll get at least one lower T14 full ride without ED and you have an excellent shot at Harvard. Don't ED.

Thanks, I've already decided not to ED :)

clavus2003

Postby clavus2003 » Sun Nov 03, 2013 12:51 pm

I am 173 and 3.72. Should I ED to Northwestern?

twenty

Postby twenty » Sun Nov 03, 2013 1:50 pm

The answer to this "should you ED to NU" business is really simple. First, do you have the numbers? You do? Then you probably also have the numbers for T6/lower T14 with a full ride. So they you have to ask yourself, would you rather go to NU on a full ride, or a random lower T14 on a full ride?

If you'd rather go to NU than most of the rest of the T14, ED. If you'd rather go to basically any other T14 minus GULC or Cornell (for example) on a full ride, don't ED.

The exception in my mind is for foreign students that absolutely must have the full ride because they can't get federal loans. In that case, it is almost always preferably to ED to NU.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”