Should I ED to Northwestern?

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
enoca

Should I ED to Northwestern?

Postby enoca » Wed Sep 18, 2013 2:42 pm

So, my stats are [REDACTED]. I'm planning on applying to most of the t14 (I have an LSAC waiver so I might as well). Looking at LSN, I can see that the majority of applicants near my scores got into at least one of CCN on the high end, with NYU especially looking very, very promising. So that's swell! But it seems like these schools aren't likely to throw much aid my way.

On the other hand, a few folks in my range seem to have had success EDing to Northwestern. And so I'm wondering if it would be in my best interest to do the same and try to lock down the $150,000 scholarship.

Anyway, I would be more than happy to end up at any of these schools, and I'm certainly not assuming that I'm already in at any of them. Mostly I'm just looking for some feedback on what the best application strategy would be to maximize my outcomes, or at least what other people might do in a similar circumstance. Is aiming to secure that funding worthwhile? Or is it worth it to RD everywhere and see what other schools might offer? All else being equal, sure, I'd rather go to CCN, but how unequal is the money likely to be at the end of the day, and how much does it matter? Might I still be able to get a comparable award at Northwestern, even just through RD?

This has just been bouncing around in my head for a bit, so I'm thinking an outside voice or three might be helpful.
Last edited by enoca on Sun Sep 22, 2013 2:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

victor_yuan59

Re: Should I ED to Northwestern?

Postby victor_yuan59 » Wed Sep 18, 2013 2:58 pm

I'm facing the exactly same problem, our GPA and LSAT are alike but you have better working background. I'd say u better RD all other schools and see how much those can offer if u don't really have a big financial problem. At least some of these schools will give u scholarship but I'm not sure how much money we can expect. ED CLS may help u get into CLS, but without $$& I guess. NYU will surely admit u, probably giving u $20k per year.

rinkrat19

Postby rinkrat19 » Wed Sep 18, 2013 3:04 pm

I have a feeling your GPA is too low for NU ED, because most of the ED recipients help them out with both medians, not just LSAT. But you very likely would get some money from NU (I got some at 3.56/171, and that was 2 years ago now) just RD. Their non-ED schollys seem to vary from 10k to 40k per year. I have never heard of anyone getting the full 150k RD.

Postby 06102016 » Wed Sep 18, 2013 3:07 pm

enoca

Postby enoca » Wed Sep 18, 2013 3:22 pm

rinkrat19 wrote:I have a feeling your GPA is too low for NU ED, because most of the ED recipients help them out with both medians, not just LSAT.

That's what I was thinking too, but I found someone on LSN from each of the past couple cycles who ED'd with basically my exact stats and got it:

[REDACTED]

My eyebrow started arching pretty high when I saw those. Obviously, hardly a guarantee, and for all I know these two spent their summers training orphans for the Olympics, but they make it seem at least feasible.
Last edited by enoca on Sun Sep 22, 2013 2:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

twenty

Postby twenty » Wed Sep 18, 2013 3:28 pm

I would absolutely do it. If nothing else, they'll appreciate that level of interest when it comes to RD pool time, and you'll probably pick up a lot of scholarship money regardless.

Tiago Splitter

Postby Tiago Splitter » Wed Sep 18, 2013 5:14 pm

Might as well do it since you shouldn't ED anywhere else.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”