T15-25: School(s) with most recognition coast-to-coast

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Best coast-to-coast J.D.

Texas
30%
WUSTL
8%
Notre Dame
26%
USC
4%
Emory
4%
Minnesota
2%
UCLA
27%

Total votes: 168

cotiger

Re: T15-25: School(s) with most recognition coast-to-coast

Postby cotiger » Sun Oct 13, 2013 12:06 pm

Last edited by cotiger on Sun Jan 19, 2014 2:06 pm, edited 2 times in total.

A. Nony Mouse

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Sun Oct 13, 2013 12:22 pm

I also think that A&M grads are WAY more evangelical about their UG experience than UT students are - A&M seems to foster a huge community feeling that persists in its alumni, in a way that UT doesn't.

cotiger

Postby cotiger » Sun Oct 13, 2013 12:53 pm

Regarding lay prestige, in general I don't think it really exists much outside of HYS. People know of other top schools, but they're all kind of lumped together and nowhere really carries much meaning beyond "oh, that's a good school" except for those three.

I will say, though, that out east it seems like it goes a little deeper. I notice a much larger emphasis on school name with subtler gradations between schools. Saying you went to Penn, for instance, seems to carry actual meaning out here, whereas in other regions it's just another good school.

I think that it has mostly to do with the local schools effect, where people think their local schools are super special and awesome. It's most obvious with places like UT, where the local identity is so obviously and visibly tied up in it as well, but it doesn't apply any less to the northeast and the ivies

jordan15

Postby jordan15 » Sun Oct 13, 2013 2:02 pm

cotiger wrote:
Void wrote:
Sorry man- I don't follow football. Can't explain why, but I had never heard of UT but was familiar with A&M for whatever reason. Maybe it's just because "Texas A&M" stands out more as a name than "University of Texas," for the reasons discussed above re: "university of state," or "state state university."

I was vaguely aware that A&M is a good school for football, but like I said I don't follow football.

Edited to add: I'm over 30, so maybe A&M's 94 success isn't as remote from my perspective as yours.

It's just surprising to me that A&M would have registered but not UT. A&M is a passable university but not really one that I would have thought anyone would have ever really heard of, while UT is far and away THE flagship school in the state both academically and athletically.

But you're right the "A&M" novelty factor could have an effect there.

I hear about A&M all the time in academic contexts on the west coast but have never heard about UT until this forum.

Postby 20141023 » Sun Oct 13, 2013 2:08 pm

Last edited by 20141023 on Sun Feb 15, 2015 10:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

cotiger

Postby cotiger » Sun Oct 13, 2013 3:27 pm

kappycaft1 wrote:
cotiger wrote:Regarding lay prestige, in general I don't think it really exists much outside of HYS. People know of other top schools, but they're all kind of lumped together and nowhere really carries much meaning beyond "oh, that's a good school" except for those three.

I will say, though, that out east it seems like it goes a little deeper. I notice a much larger emphasis on school name with subtler gradations between schools. Saying you went to Penn, for instance, seems to carry actual meaning out here, whereas in other regions it's just another good school.

I think that it has mostly to do with the local schools effect, where people think their local schools are super special and awesome. It's most obvious with places like UT, where the local identity is so obviously and visibly tied up in it as well, but it doesn't apply any less to the northeast and the ivies

Meh, through high school, I don't think I knew that Stanford was "good"; rather, I just knew that it was a school that had done a lot of weird experiments and shit. I think that the schools that I thought were "smart" were Harvard, Princeton, and Yale (in that order), and then I had heard of Stanford and Berkeley on the Discovery Channel or something. As for UCLA, I thought that it was some West-Coast variant of the YMCA until I first heard what the acronym actually stood for. East Coasters have literally no idea that there are like a bizzillion public schools in Cali that all start with "University of California, ...". :lol:

Princeton Law all the way! But yeah, if talking schools without law schools I'd include Princeton and MIT.

wiz

Postby wiz » Sun Oct 13, 2013 3:56 pm

kappycaft1 wrote:
cotiger wrote:Regarding lay prestige, in general I don't think it really exists much outside of HYS. People know of other top schools, but they're all kind of lumped together and nowhere really carries much meaning beyond "oh, that's a good school" except for those three.

Meh, through high school, I don't think I knew that Stanford was "good"; rather, I just knew that it was a school that had done a lot of weird experiments and shit. I think that the schools that I thought were "smart" were Harvard, Princeton, Yale (in that order), and then I had heard of Stanford and Berkeley on the Discovery Channel or something. As for UCLA, I thought that it was some West-Coast variant of the YMCA until I first heard what the acronym actually stood for. East Coasters have literally no idea that there are like a bizzillion public schools in Cali that all start with "University of California, ...". :lol:

I agree that HYP are the only schools with nationwide prestige.

After that, you've got schools like Stanford and MIT/Caltech. People who are familiar with Ivies tend to know Columbia and Cornell for some reason (sometimes Brown, too), but Penn isn't doing so hot after Sandusky destroyed their image, and it's hard to figure out wtf a Dartmouth is. For other hit-or-miss schools, Johns Hopkins has a sexy name, some people have heard of Northwestern, and sports fans tend to know that Duke is good.

Beyond that, I think basically every school is regional to a greater or lesser extent.

BigZuck

Postby BigZuck » Sun Oct 13, 2013 4:01 pm

If humanity ever realized that Cal and Berkeley are the same school then the University of California at Berkeley would have PHAT lay prestige.

Void

Postby Void » Sun Oct 13, 2013 4:04 pm

BigZuck wrote:If humanity ever realized that Cal and Berkeley are the same school then the University of California at Berkeley would have PHAT lay prestige.

I'm from New England and I had heard of Berkeley growing up, but would not have known what "Cal" was. I lived on the west coast for a while and thought it was weird that they also called it "Cal," especially since there are all those other UC schools that seem like they could also go by that name.

wiz

Postby wiz » Sun Oct 13, 2013 4:10 pm

Void wrote:
BigZuck wrote:If humanity ever realized that Cal and Berkeley are the same school then the University of California at Berkeley would have PHAT lay prestige.

I'm from New England and I had heard of Berkeley growing up, but would not have known what "Cal" was. I lived on the west coast for a while and thought it was weird that they also called it "Cal," especially since there are all those other UC schools that seem like they could also go by that name.

I didn't know that UCLA was a Cal school until a couple years ago. I did not know that UCLA stood for something. Having all this UC shit going on fucks over Berkeley for lay prestige. UCI, UCSF, UCLA, UCD, UCSD, UCSB, and UCB all seem like the same, unprestigious state school. When you start introducing this whole "Cal" concept into the equation, Caltech gets screwed over.

Void

Postby Void » Sun Oct 13, 2013 4:15 pm

wiz wrote:
Void wrote:

I didn't know that UCLA was a Cal school until a couple years ago. I did not know that UCLA stood for something. Having all this UC shit going on fucks over Berkeley for lay prestige. UCI, UCSF, UCLA, UCD, UCSD, UCSB, and UCB all seem like the same, unprestigious state school. When you start introducing this whole "Cal" concept into the equation, Caltech gets screwed over.

Don't forget Davis! It's one of the more meh campuses.

Oops- I see that you didn't forget.

cotiger

Postby cotiger » Sun Oct 13, 2013 6:13 pm

Last edited by cotiger on Sun Jan 19, 2014 2:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

shifty_eyed

Postby shifty_eyed » Sun Oct 13, 2013 9:11 pm

cotiger wrote:
jordan15 wrote:
cotiger wrote:
Void wrote:
Sorry man- I don't follow football. Can't explain why, but I had never heard of UT but was familiar with A&M for whatever reason. Maybe it's just because "Texas A&M" stands out more as a name than "University of Texas," for the reasons discussed above re: "university of state," or "state state university."

I was vaguely aware that A&M is a good school for football, but like I said I don't follow football.

Edited to add: I'm over 30, so maybe A&M's 94 success isn't as remote from my perspective as yours.

It's just surprising to me that A&M would have registered but not UT. A&M is a passable university but not really one that I would have thought anyone would have ever really heard of, while UT is far and away THE flagship school in the state both academically and athletically.

But you're right the "A&M" novelty factor could have an effect there.

I hear about A&M all the time in academic contexts on the west coast but have never heard about UT until this forum.

That's interesting to hear because UT usually comes in the top 30 on rankings of world universities with the greatest scholarly impact, while A&M is more like 150.

Yeah, A&M doesn't even have a super great academic rep within Texas, except for a few programs (vet, petroleum eng).

Return to “Choosing a Law School”