T15-25: School(s) with most recognition coast-to-coast Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Best coast-to-coast J.D.

Texas
29%
WUSTL
8%
Notre Dame
26%
USC
4%
Emory
4%
Minnesota
2%
UCLA
28%

Total votes: 170

mewalke1

Bronze

Re: T15-25: School(s) with most recognition coast-to-coast

Post by mewalke1 » Fri Oct 11, 2013 1:51 am

cotiger wrote:
Void wrote:
midwest17 wrote:I'm pretty sure that even taking a connecting flight through Texas doubles your chances of being executed by the government.
LOL

I love how Texans always play the "but Austin is different!" card. I'm sure Austin is ok, but I'd still rather not be surrounded on all sides by 500 miles of people who want to curb stomp homosexuals. Why go to Austin when you could just go to NYC instead?
Houston was the first major city in the US with an openly gay mayor. Dallas almost won that distinction two years earlier when an openly gay candidate got 45%. So.. huh? I realize you're trolling, but the level of venom that unjustifiably gets unloaded on non-coastal areas never ceases to amaze me, especially when it's in the name of being "open-minded."
As far as being opened minded is concerned......California and NY lead the way in being accepting to everyone :roll: (as long as you think like them) Theres nothing somebody from New York wants to talk about more than New York.

jordan15

Bronze

Post by jordan15 » Sat Oct 12, 2013 12:37 am

On the west coast, USC/UCLA has way more lay prestige than any of the schools on this list, and you could probably throw MVP in there too. I doubt that the lay prestige at all translates to perceived prestige by law employers, but I would bet that there's a lot of lawyers here who did their undergrad at USC/UCLA which might help in getting a job.

3ThrowAway99

Gold

Post by 3ThrowAway99 » Sat Oct 12, 2013 1:24 am

Vandy by far and not even close. Lol how it wasn't included in your survey. But actually appropriate, because really Vandy is just as national as many of the T14 schools.

http://law.vanderbilt.edu/alumni/alumni ... bution.php

jbagelboy

Diamond

Post by jbagelboy » Sat Oct 12, 2013 9:31 am

jordan15 wrote:On the west coast, USC/UCLA has way more lay prestige than any of the schools on this list, and you could probably throw MVP in there too. I doubt that the lay prestige at all translates to perceived prestige by law employers, but I would bet that there's a lot of lawyers here who did their undergrad at USC/UCLA which might help in getting a job.
we are talking lay prestige? no way not Penn

everyone still knows about the ivy league

jordan15

Bronze

Post by jordan15 » Sat Oct 12, 2013 4:57 pm

jbagelboy wrote:
jordan15 wrote:On the west coast, USC/UCLA has way more lay prestige than any of the schools on this list, and you could probably throw MVP in there too. I doubt that the lay prestige at all translates to perceived prestige by law employers, but I would bet that there's a lot of lawyers here who did their undergrad at USC/UCLA which might help in getting a job.

A lot of people don't know what schools are actually ivys. And even more people think UPenn is Penn State :(

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

jbagelboy

Diamond

Post by jbagelboy » Sat Oct 12, 2013 7:03 pm

jordan15 wrote:
jbagelboy wrote:

A lot of people don't know what schools are actually ivys. And even more people think UPenn is Penn State :(
I grew up in SoCal and all the parents and high performing students would get a hardon for UPenn, especially Wharton. If there's one Ivy people dismiss or forget, its Cornell. Maybe saying "west coast" is just too broad a designation for any one cultural-educational norm

BigZuck

Diamond

Post by BigZuck » Sat Oct 12, 2013 7:30 pm

jbagelboy wrote:
jordan15 wrote:
jbagelboy wrote:

I grew up in SoCal and all the parents and high performing students would get a hardon for UPenn, especially Wharton. If there's one Ivy people dismiss or forget, its Cornell. Maybe saying "west coast" is just too broad a designation for any one cultural-educational norm
Rancid pro-Dartmouth trolling

jordan15

Bronze

Post by jordan15 » Sat Oct 12, 2013 7:44 pm

jbagelboy wrote:
jordan15 wrote:
jbagelboy wrote:

Oh yeah, everybody loves Wharton, which is why I find it hilarious that the first thing people say if you bring up Penn is "ewwww, Sandusky!" :| Where do they think Wharton is? lol

I just think UPenn lay prestige is uneven on the west, whereas USC/UCLA is more universally respected. Maybe it's just because those two schools graduate an enormous amount of people who stay here and everybody thinks their school is the "best." :D

DoveBodyWash

Gold

Post by DoveBodyWash » Sat Oct 12, 2013 7:52 pm

1. Vanderbilt, if we're talking abt degree portability.
2. Lol @ Notre Dame being an Ivy League. These ppl will not be the ones making hiring decisions.
3. Don't pay sticker for WUSTL. Come here if you're dead set on midwest(not including Chicago) or if you get a fat scholly.
4. Re-evaluate the list if this is about rankings. Schools like UMN and ND are gunna drop after their LSAT drop. But rankings are kinda useless anyway

Ultimately all of these schools are similar. If you do really well you will have a lot of nice options. If you don't... Then you'll have to hustle and hope that you get lucky.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

BigZuck

Diamond

Post by BigZuck » Sat Oct 12, 2013 8:05 pm

I'm having a tough time believing Vandy is more portable than UT.

/homerism

Gold

Post by 20141023 » Sat Oct 12, 2013 8:15 pm

Last edited by 20141023 on Sun Feb 15, 2015 10:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BigZuck

Diamond

Post by BigZuck » Sat Oct 12, 2013 8:20 pm

Regulus wrote:
BigZuck wrote:I'm having a tough time believing Vandy is more portable than UT.

/homerism
Heh... I had heard of Vandy before, but not UT; then again, I am from the east. :P
You never heard of Vince Young bro?

midwest17

Gold

Post by midwest17 » Sat Oct 12, 2013 9:07 pm

BigZuck wrote:
Regulus wrote:

/homerism
Heh... I had heard of Vandy before, but not UT; then again, I am from the east. :P
Who?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

BigZuck

Diamond

Post by BigZuck » Sat Oct 12, 2013 9:30 pm

midwest17 wrote:
BigZuck wrote:
Regulus wrote:

/homerism
Who?
He's a famous restaurateur in Austin

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Sat Oct 12, 2013 9:57 pm

Regulus wrote:

/homerism
As in, you didn't know Texas had a state university??

For additional data points: where I grew up - outside of Boston, full of Irish Catholics - ND was REVERED and USC and UCLA (and Berkeley, for that matter) were random state schools in California you'd go to if you were from California and couldn't get in anywhere else. (I know USC isn't a state school, but that's how it was perceived.) Also, I'm pretty sure I've lived places where people would not have been able to tell you that Wharton was actually part of UPenn, rather than its own prestigious entity.

Not endorsing any of this, just reporting.

Gold

Post by 20141023 » Sat Oct 12, 2013 11:38 pm

BigZuck

Diamond

Post by BigZuck » Sat Oct 12, 2013 11:47 pm

Aside from the Penn/Penn State confusion UT as a university undoubtedly has the least amount of lay prestige (just don't tell a Texan that :)) in the top 18 schools and probably less than a school like WUSTL IMO. But I think the law school itself has as good a reputation as any school outside of the T14 with people who matter (aka employers).

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Gold

Post by 20141023 » Sun Oct 13, 2013 12:14 am

midwest17

Gold

Post by midwest17 » Sun Oct 13, 2013 12:19 am

Regulus wrote:Yeah, and I'm not saying that's a bad thing. For example, nobody knows wtf UChicago is even though it is consistently ranked within the top 5 even for undergrad, whereas tons of people know Duke because it is a decent school and has a decent sports team. :roll:
UChicago would probably get confused with UIC as much as UPenn gets confused with Penn State, except that a school actually has to come up in conversation before the mixup can happen... :lol:

Gold

Post by 20141023 » Sun Oct 13, 2013 12:24 am

jordan15

Bronze

Post by jordan15 » Sun Oct 13, 2013 12:37 am

Regulus wrote: Yeah, and I'm not saying that's a bad thing. For example, nobody knows wtf UChicago is even though it is consistently ranked within the top 5 even for undergrad, whereas tons of people know Duke because it is a decent school and has a decent sports team. :roll:
Totally true. I know someone at UChi and I know more than one person who said something along the lines of "oh...I figured they'd get in somewhere better" and then on the flip side, seen people get green with jealousy/admiration when they heard someone went to [insert shitty liberal arts/unique name here].

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Void

Silver

Post by Void » Sun Oct 13, 2013 10:51 am

Regulus wrote:
BigZuck wrote:Aside from the Penn/Penn State confusion UT as a university undoubtedly has the least amount of lay prestige (just don't tell a Texan that :)) in the top 18 schools and probably less than a school like WUSTL IMO. But I think the law school itself has as good a reputation as any school outside of the T14 with people who matter (aka employers).
Yeah, and I'm not saying that's a bad thing. For example, nobody knows wtf UChicago is even though it is consistently ranked within the top 5 even for undergrad, whereas tons of people know Duke because it is a decent school and has a decent sports team. :roll:

In the end, though, all that really matters is that employers know that these schools are decent places to get an education. I think that Harvard, Yale, and Stanford are some of the few places that have nominal - in addition to real - prestige because they have unique titles (as opposed to "the University of Boston," "New Haven College," and "Palo Alto University"). Even Columbia suffers a little from "generic name syndrome" because there's the clothing (and other stuff) company called "Columbia," the country called "Columbia," etc., which many not-very-educated laymen are perhaps more likely to know than an Ivy League school in New York.
I agree with this 100%. I think if you're actually talking about LAY prestige, as in the degree to which people who are completely unfamiliar with academia happen to respect a school by name, then it's pretty much the big Ivy League schools and a bunch of schools that are good at sports. Being from the northeast, I would have thought that Texas A&M was more prestigious than UT (which I had never heard of before applying to law school!) Some random schools have lay recognition for weird reasons though, like Berkeley, UCLA and Vanderbilt. I had heard of these schools and thought they were good even when I was in junior high school, despite the fact that they were nowhere near me.

There's also kind of a negative prestige effect for good schools in your own region, because they're nearby and you know a ton of people who went there and it just doesn't seem like a big deal at all. Some northeastern examples are BU, BC, NYU, and places like Wesleyan or Williams.

Diamond

Post by 06102016 » Sun Oct 13, 2013 11:04 am

cotiger

Gold

Post by cotiger » Sun Oct 13, 2013 11:16 am

Last edited by cotiger on Sun Jan 19, 2014 2:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Void

Silver

Post by Void » Sun Oct 13, 2013 11:28 am

cotiger wrote:
Void wrote: I agree with this 100%. I think if you're actually talking about LAY prestige, as in the degree to which people who are completely unfamiliar with academia happen to respect a school by name, then it's pretty much the big Ivy League schools and a bunch of schools that are good at sports. Being from the northeast, I would have thought that Texas A&M was more prestigious than UT (which I had never heard of before applying to law school!) Some random schools have lay recognition for weird reasons though, like Berkeley, UCLA and Vanderbilt. I had heard of these schools and thought they were good even when I was in junior high school, despite the fact that they were nowhere near me.

Wuuuuuut. Are you 10 years old or something? Texas has one of the top athletic departments in the country. The football team has had a down three years, but won the championship in '07 and was in the title game as recently as '09. A&M, on the other hand, has finished in the top 25 for all of two seasons this millenium and just had their first top 10 finish since 1994.

This probably just proves your point, but I cannot not let that egregious A&M trolling stand.
Sorry man- I don't follow football. Can't explain why, but I had never heard of UT but was familiar with A&M for whatever reason. Maybe it's just because "Texas A&M" stands out more as a name than "University of Texas," for the reasons discussed above re: "university of state," or "state state university."

I was vaguely aware that A&M is a good school for football, but like I said I don't follow football.

Edited to add: I'm over 30, so maybe A&M's 94 success isn't as remote from my perspective as yours.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”