ED to UVA or UPENN? Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
optimist1

New

ED to UVA or UPENN?

Post by optimist1 » Wed Sep 11, 2013 10:38 am

with 3.02 146/172 lsat where would you ED?

the guide for splitter says to ED UVA but it seems quite a few ppl have gotten into Upenn with gpa/lsat near mine. or should I ED to northwesterN? i know the chances are slim regardless but i saw a few ppl with stats close to mine who got into upenn.

jingosaur

Gold

Re: ED to UVA or UPENN?

Post by jingosaur » Wed Sep 11, 2013 10:56 am

Northwestern WILL NOT accept you for ED. People who get the NU ED full ride are almost always above both medians since they're trying to poach T6 students. If I were you, I would ED UVA and then apply to Northwestern and G'town RD.

optimist1

New

Post by optimist1 » Wed Sep 11, 2013 10:59 am

thanks for reply!

can u also answer one more question?

why do ppl recommend against ED to UPenn? They all say to ED UVA.

I have pretty much the same chance of going to either of those colleges with my stats (aka... VERY LOW) according to the http://www.mylsn.info. i ask because in the rare chance upenn says yes (lol) i can commute there.

thanks

Ramius

Gold

Post by Ramius » Wed Sep 11, 2013 11:20 am

optimist1 wrote:thanks for reply!

can u also answer one more question?

why do ppl recommend against ED to UPenn? They all say to ED UVA.

I have pretty much the same chance of going to either of those colleges with my stats (aka... VERY LOW) according to the http://www.mylsn.info. i ask because in the rare chance upenn says yes (lol) i can commute there.

thanks
If you can save on COL at UPENN, absolutely ED there first and see what happens. It might be unlikely, but if they say yes, you're in a much better position financially.

optimist1

New

Post by optimist1 » Wed Sep 11, 2013 11:45 am

i just checked mylsn i think i read the report wrong (i had put in a very big gpa difference... and lsat too)

i have double chance of getting into UVA compared to UPENN (23vs12%). Where would you apply if that was the case? I have like $7k to my name... so idk about getting loans and stuff. Will I even be able to get a loan?

edit: misread. fixed

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Law Sauce

Silver

Post by Law Sauce » Wed Sep 11, 2013 11:53 am

Not sure, but I believe that you could ED to penn and if not accepted under ED, then ED to UVa

californiauser

Silver

Post by californiauser » Wed Sep 11, 2013 1:46 pm

I would rather ED to Penn than UVA. If you don't get into Penn ED, then go UVA ED.

shifty_eyed

Gold

Post by shifty_eyed » Wed Sep 11, 2013 9:37 pm

I wouldn't ED unless 250k is truly a drop in the bucket for your personal finances.

As a splitter, you won't have a lot of scholarship options in the t14. However, I think you will stand a decent shot at getting into Penn or UVA from the waitlist, if you grovel enough. By not applying ED, you can see what scholarship options you have and THEN make your decision, rather than be locked into sticker. You would be looking at a lot of money from schools ranked 15-20, almost certainly a full ride from WUSTL if they give out money like last cycle. Of course, it all boils down to how debt averse vs. risk averse you are.

optimist1

New

Post by optimist1 » Fri Sep 13, 2013 9:34 am

thanks i think i will ED upenn in the round 1 selection. if it fails I will ED uva since uva says they take 15 days to get back to you once you submit expedited.

thanks guys. im working on an app i hope it sells well so i can pay off LS lol

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Trout et al

Bronze

Post by Trout et al » Fri Sep 13, 2013 9:48 am

Where are you from? Where do you want to work?

twenty

Gold

Post by twenty » Thu Sep 19, 2013 11:22 am

People say that UVA and UPenn are close enough to be identical schools, but that's not really entirely true. UPenn's clerkship + AIII number is 77.1, while UVA's is 62.1. Though I'll grant you that a lot more UVA grads end up in non-school-subsidized PI positions (i.e, government), the employment data is too imbalanced to say that UVA and Penn are basically the same.

As a school, I don't really like Penn. But if you're thinking about employment data, it's kind of hard to argue against the numbers if you're going to either one at sticker.

californiauser

Silver

Post by californiauser » Thu Sep 19, 2013 1:40 pm

twentypercentmore wrote:People say that UVA and UPenn are close enough to be identical schools, but that's not really entirely true. UPenn's clerkship + AIII number is 77.1, while UVA's is 62.1. Though I'll grant you that a lot more UVA grads end up in non-school-subsidized PI positions (i.e, government), the employment data is too imbalanced to say that UVA and Penn are basically the same.

As a school, I don't really like Penn. But if you're thinking about employment data, it's kind of hard to argue against the numbers if you're going to either one at sticker.
What don't you like about Penn as a school?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”