Holy Sh*t!! It's real?! Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
twenty

Gold

Re: Holy Sh*t!! It's real?!

Post by twenty » Sat Sep 14, 2013 7:29 pm

In fairness, 4k a year is substantially less than most other graduate programs in SoCal. I can see spending four years at 4k a year on a worthless law degree than 10k a year on a worthless communications masters degree.

haus

Gold

Post by haus » Sat Sep 14, 2013 7:39 pm

twentypercentmore wrote:In fairness, 4k a year is substantially less than most other graduate programs in SoCal. I can see spending four years at 4k a year on a worthless law degree than 10k a year on a worthless communications masters degree.
While I do agree with you, it is a bit of damning with faint praise. I can think of a few mild diseases I would prefer over a worthless communications masters degree.

twenty

Gold

Post by twenty » Sun Sep 15, 2013 10:33 am

Oh, yeah, that's not to say it's a high bar by any stretch. :D

unc0mm0n1

Gold

Post by unc0mm0n1 » Sun Sep 15, 2013 10:51 am

MoMettaMonk wrote:
Regulus wrote:
haus wrote:
MoMettaMonk wrote:$4,000 in tuition per year? Bravo PCL! Bravo!
Is there an ABA school with an list annual tuition under $10k/year?
BYU is right around that amount... if you're Mormon. The only thing is that Mormons have to pay 10% of their income as "tithing" to their church, so in the long run it probably isn't as economical as people make it out to be (assuming that students don't enter the church right before starting law school and then quit the church immediately thereafter).
To be fair, every denomination of Christian church I've been to says that the congregation should tithe 10%. However it's largely enforced through a combination of peer pressure and guilt, whereas it sounds like Mormon's tithing is more... serious.
I think a few don't follow tithing, I know Jehovah's Witnesses don't.

xylocarp

Platinum

Post by xylocarp » Sun Sep 15, 2013 6:29 pm

unc0mm0n1 wrote:
MoMettaMonk wrote:To be fair, every denomination of Christian church I've been to says that the congregation should tithe 10%. However it's largely enforced through a combination of peer pressure and guilt, whereas it sounds like Mormon's tithing is more... serious.
Catholics don't tithe either, and that's a pretty big demographic.
Last edited by xylocarp on Tue Jan 30, 2018 12:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

MoMettaMonk

Silver

Post by MoMettaMonk » Sun Sep 15, 2013 6:49 pm

xylocarp wrote:
unc0mm0n1 wrote:
MoMettaMonk wrote:To be fair, every denomination of Christian church I've been to says that the congregation should tithe 10%. However it's largely enforced through a combination of peer pressure and guilt, whereas it sounds like Mormon's tithing is more... serious.
Catholics don't tithe either, and that's a pretty big demographic.
Not to drag this thread closer to the religious rabbit hole that we've been on the edge of here, but to clarify what I meant by "tithing;" I was largely pointing to the fact that even church's that don't have a strict tithing requirement like LDS still encourage giving what you're able (passing the plate, as I've come to know it), and taking this into consideration can offset the long term cost difference of attending BYU versus a more expensive school.

Of course this point is totally moot if you're not someone who would donate to a church at all, at which point BYU falls into the normal cost/benefit analysis that we usually do around these parts.

Sourrudedude

Bronze

Post by Sourrudedude » Mon Sep 16, 2013 11:07 pm

If anyone has seen A Lawyer Walks into a Bar, I'm pretty sure one of the people they follow went there.

mewalke1

Bronze

Post by mewalke1 » Tue Sep 17, 2013 2:41 am

Sourrudedude wrote:If anyone has seen A Lawyer Walks into a Bar, I'm pretty sure one of the people they follow went there.
Is that a documentary?

Gold

Post by 20141023 » Tue Sep 17, 2013 4:18 am

Last edited by 20141023 on Sat Feb 14, 2015 4:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

mewalke1

Bronze

Post by mewalke1 » Tue Sep 17, 2013 6:44 am

Anyway, sorry for the rant. I just wanted to clarify why it pisses me off when people say that "BYU is inexpensive" when the school is subsidizing its costs via the tithing payments of its members, who will likely pay many times the cost of tuition to the Church over the span of their careers.

I think that you are leaving some things out of the equation. It is like a tax but a tax you choose to partipate in. And like a tax it gives acces to things. Church buildings, temples, welfare when needed etc.

Is BYU cheaper because its subsidized by members of course it is. But ASU is subsidized by taxes.....and it's $26,000 a year for in state. BYU is what $10,000 a year? My family is Mormon and lived in Arizona for around the last 30 years and I guarantee my dad has paid a hell of a lot more in taxes than in tithing. I don't know his tax rate but he is a surgeon and has had the opportunity to make pretty good money. So in that case,for someone like me, BYU is really cheap.

I think saying BYU isn't really cheap because of tithing is like saying public school isn't cheap because of taxes. You could definitely look at it that way but if you choose to participate in Being a US Citizen or being Mormon the tax or tithing is just part of it.

Excuse the choppy writing..... I just got an iPad and I am not very good at typing on it.

haus

Gold

Post by haus » Tue Sep 17, 2013 7:32 am

mewalke1 wrote:Is BYU cheaper because its subsidized by members of course it is. But ASU is subsidized by taxes.....and it's $26,000 a year for in state. BYU is what $10,000 a year? My family is Mormon and lived in Arizona for around the last 30 years and I guarantee my dad has paid a hell of a lot more in taxes than in tithing. I don't know his tax rate but he is a surgeon and has had the opportunity to make pretty good money. So in that case,for someone like me, BYU is really cheap.
For the most part taxes are non-optional, whereas belonging to be a member of a religion is optional. Your taxes subsidize highways, EPA, law enforcement, military... all things not picked up by most religions.

Assuming similar career paths, I would rather pay $26k/year for three years vice $10k/year + 10% of my income per year for life.

Gold

Post by 20141023 » Tue Sep 17, 2013 2:15 pm

Last edited by 20141023 on Sat Feb 14, 2015 4:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sourrudedude

Bronze

Post by Sourrudedude » Tue Sep 17, 2013 4:30 pm

mewalke1 wrote:
Sourrudedude wrote:If anyone has seen A Lawyer Walks into a Bar, I'm pretty sure one of the people they follow went there.
Is that a documentary?
Yeah. It might be on Netflix but I'm not sure. It's about like five different law grads in California trying to pass the bar.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

mewalke1

Bronze

Post by mewalke1 » Tue Sep 17, 2013 11:03 pm

Sourrudedude wrote:
mewalke1 wrote:
Is that a documentary?
Yeah. It might be on Netflix but I'm not sure. It's about like five different law grads in California trying to pass the bar.
Awesome ill try and check it out

Diamond

Post by 20160810 » Fri Oct 11, 2013 3:32 am

Put me on team PCL. I'd rather pay the price of a Dodge Dart to go to this shitstaian of a school and roll the dice on the bar than borrow $200,000 to go to McGeorge.

john1990

Silver

Post by john1990 » Mon Oct 14, 2013 4:29 pm

It looked like a public law library to me

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Return to “Choosing a Law School”