Penn vs Chicago vs Columbia for Texas Biglaw

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
kalvano

Re: Penn vs Chicago vs Columbia for Texas Biglaw

Postby kalvano » Thu Sep 05, 2013 5:12 pm

utlaw2007 wrote:I also find it curious that people on this site give other top schools credit for self selection, but don't consider the self selection component when it comes to UT Law grads getting Texas Biglaw. I am not saying that UT has superior placement power over any top national school in Texas. I am saying that when it comes to self selection, anecdotal evidence is the only kind of evidence that can shed light on it. And Texas's low COA allows for some UT law grads to self select out of the big three in Texas biglaw to smaller Texas biglaw firms that are really just Texas based firms that pay at or near market. I had a classmate turn down an offer at Baker Botts for working at a much smaller firm. Both offers where in Austin. If she lived in Chicago, she would not have been able to do that. And that firm that she chose doesn't recruit outside of Texas or at any other school in Texas other than UT, at least back then it didn't. And choosing these smaller firms that pay at or near market happens with regularity among Texas grads.

If it is a regional company, the UT Law brand is incredibly great. It's Texas we're talking about. I don't think people here understand just how self absorbed Texas is. Texas is so self absorbed to the point of annoyance. The national/international law firms based out of Texas think very much like all of the other big law firms around the country. But once you get more regional, even with regional firms that pay at or near market, its all about Texas.

I've lived here all of my life. I am just telling you how it is.

Self-selection is referring to selecting Texas over NYC or DC or California or one of the other major, major markets. It implies that students at Columbia / H/Y/S / other top schools can largely go wherever they want, and that the low percentage of Texas employment is by choice, not because of lack of placement power of those schools in Texas. Not selecting a smaller boutique firm over a large law firm.

justinp

Postby justinp » Fri Sep 06, 2013 3:10 pm

Not to derail the pretty awesome flame war going on in this thread, but wanted to jump in with the single data point that UChi is Baker Botts Houston's #3 school behind Texas and Harvard.

Which of course isn't terribly useful to know. In general from any of these schools you're going to have to be a real self-starter to get Texas jobs. It's not that they don't want you from these schools, but I think they don't make much effort to come find you.

sinfiery

Postby sinfiery » Sat Sep 07, 2013 5:17 pm

timbs4339 wrote:I have friends with extensive Texas ties (never lived anywhere else except for law school) who struck out in Texas but got offers in New York.

This was surprising. It's hard to find anecdotes like this, thank you.

Lacepiece23

Postby Lacepiece23 » Sat Sep 07, 2013 5:41 pm

sinfiery wrote:
timbs4339 wrote:I have friends with extensive Texas ties (never lived anywhere else except for law school) who struck out in Texas but got offers in New York.

Texas is very appealing low cost of living, booming economy, and pays NYC market. That doesn't suprise me at all. I would think that it would take better grades from a T14 to get texas then NYC in a lot of cases.

Monochromatic Oeuvre

Postby Monochromatic Oeuvre » Sat Sep 07, 2013 6:42 pm

Lacepiece23 wrote:
sinfiery wrote:

Texas is very appealing low cost of living, booming economy, and pays NYC market. That doesn't suprise me at all. I would think that it would take better grades from a T14 to get texas then NYC in a lot of cases.

That demonstrates nothing about the selectivity of Texas, but rather NYC's status as the "last resort" of Biglaw for many students precisely because there are so many more Biglaw jobs in NYC than anywhere else. You seem to be overstating exactly how many people are targeting Texas Biglaw. Not that it doesn't objectively have the best financial outcome for the firms that do pay market, but a lot of students, particularly those who grew up on the coasts, would not consider going to Texas. Many would gladly have a little less buying power to be in a place that they didn't consider a cultural dead zone.

Postby 2014 » Mon Sep 09, 2013 11:23 pm

People with Texas ties at UChi did very well across the board for 1L hiring down there, no clue how they are doing now for 2L hiring but I have to assume just as well.

Our placement is helped by having stronger placement in a couple of lit boutiques than the other schools you mentioned (Susman/AZA), but we get all of the major Texas firms at our OCI as far as I'm aware. I'd choose Chicago for sure given equal or close cost for all three schools.

Greenandgold

Postby Greenandgold » Tue Sep 10, 2013 10:21 am

2014 wrote:People with Texas ties at UChi did very well across the board for 1L hiring down there, no clue how they are doing now for 2L hiring but I have to assume just as well.

Our placement is helped by having stronger placement in a couple of lit boutiques than the other schools you mentioned (Susman/AZA), but we get all of the major Texas firms at our OCI as far as I'm aware. I'd choose Chicago for sure given equal or close cost for all three schools.

As someone at UChi with Texas ties, this.

BigZuck

Postby BigZuck » Wed Sep 11, 2013 10:07 pm

Monochromatic Oeuvre wrote:
Lacepiece23 wrote:
sinfiery wrote:

That demonstrates nothing about the selectivity of Texas, but rather NYC's status as the "last resort" of Biglaw for many students precisely because there are so many more Biglaw jobs in NYC than anywhere else. You seem to be overstating exactly how many people are targeting Texas Biglaw. Not that it doesn't objectively have the best financial outcome for the firms that do pay market, but a lot of students, particularly those who grew up on the coasts, would not consider going to Texas. Many would gladly have a little less buying power to be in a place that they didn't consider a cultural dead zone.

(considers Texas a cultural dead zone)

Return to “Choosing a Law School”