Upenn scholly money Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
goldenboy514

Silver

Upenn scholly money

Post by goldenboy514 » Sun Sep 01, 2013 11:14 am

After reviewing mylsn it seems as though penn is pretty stingy with scholly money as a lot of applicants with strong numbers got no scholly. On the other hand, it seems as though there are a good amount of students who got in off the waitlist and they threw them a little scholly (30-45K). I dont see on the TLS forums too often that anyone tells how they got a huge scholly from penn, or even a half. Is it historically true that penn is one of the more stingy lower half T14's?
Trying to justify a decision to ED if there is little to no chance of scholly money as that is my clear cut #1 choice.
Thanks

New

Re: Upenn scholly money

Post by 1948 » Sun Sep 01, 2013 11:36 am

Not to jack your thread but since you mentioned it, have you (or anyone) tried to access the Early Decision Forms in the Penn application? Every computer or browser I try and open it in comes up completely blank...

jbagelboy

Diamond

Post by jbagelboy » Sun Sep 01, 2013 1:26 pm

Plenty of people get good money from Penn RD. they are more generous than CLS, Chicago, and even Michigan - probably less than UVA. I would only ED if you look at elterrible's data (using a basic search) and conclude that with your numbers the ED1/2 boost would be absolutely crucial for an acceptance.

mandyjay11

Silver

Post by mandyjay11 » Sun Sep 01, 2013 5:33 pm

Yeah. Lots of ppl get full merit scholarships and near full scholarships for public interest in addition to other substantial aid. I don't think they are stingy at all.

mr.hands

Silver

Post by mr.hands » Mon Sep 02, 2013 7:34 pm

jbagelboy wrote:Plenty of people get good money from Penn RD. they are more generous than CLS, Chicago, and even Michigan - probably less than UVA. I would only ED if you look at elterrible's data (using a basic search) and conclude that with your numbers the ED1/2 boost would be absolutely crucial for an acceptance.
Less generous than UVA isn't saying anything. UVA is VERY stingy. Even if the average scholarship is pretty impressive (which i'm not sure that it is), i'm pretty sure that 50%+ of their students are paying sticker.

I agree that OP should only ED there if his numbers are borderline and he REALLY wants to go there. It's a shit ton of money at sticker...

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Ramius

Gold

Post by Ramius » Mon Sep 02, 2013 8:01 pm

mr.hands wrote:
jbagelboy wrote:Plenty of people get good money from Penn RD. they are more generous than CLS, Chicago, and even Michigan - probably less than UVA. I would only ED if you look at elterrible's data (using a basic search) and conclude that with your numbers the ED1/2 boost would be absolutely crucial for an acceptance.
Less generous than UVA isn't saying anything. UVA is VERY stingy. Even if the average scholarship is pretty impressive (which i'm not sure that it is), i'm pretty sure that 50%+ of their students are paying sticker.

I agree that OP should only ED there if his numbers are borderline and he REALLY wants to go there. It's a shit ton of money at sticker...
I think his point was more that UVA is more willing to pay for numbers they desire. While the average scholly might be less and a substantial portion might be paying sticker at UVA, when it comes to the numbers they want, UVA is always willing to make it rain.

goldenboy514

Silver

Post by goldenboy514 » Mon Sep 02, 2013 11:03 pm

Taking LSAT october, and obviously that will ultimately determine my strategy. But with a 3.91 and living near philly (no housing expense) and Penn as dream school, the only way I wouldnt ED would be hopes of getting scholly. So what would be the number needed to get a scholly from penn RD most likely?
Tough to determine scholarship numbers from LSN as I have tried, especially with a down year in apps.

Sinatra

Bronze

Post by Sinatra » Mon Sep 02, 2013 11:20 pm

Don't worry about the number, chief. Shoot for 180 with anything south of that being a disappointment.

sinfiery

Gold

Post by sinfiery » Tue Sep 03, 2013 1:05 am

goldenboy514 wrote:Taking LSAT october, and obviously that will ultimately determine my strategy. But with a 3.91 and living near philly (no housing expense) and Penn as dream school, the only way I wouldnt ED would be hopes of getting scholly. So what would be the number needed to get a scholly from penn RD most likely?
Tough to determine scholarship numbers from LSN as I have tried, especially with a down year in apps.
Hit median or above (169/170), don't ED. Below median, I probably wouldn't ED but it wouldn't be the worst decision in the world given no COL expenses/your "dream" school. I would ED if you are sub 167 on the LSAT though but instead of that I would retake.

Honestly, with a 3.91 you should not ED anywhere and shoot for a full ride at a T14 or HYS with a decent scholarship/PLSF/LRAP related goals

Seriously, now that I think about it, don't ED unless your peak LSAT PT after months of preparation is a 165 and that is your best score after 3 takes.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

jingosaur

Gold

Post by jingosaur » Tue Sep 03, 2013 9:45 am

OP, retake and/or don't ED. Penn is normally kind of stingy towards reverse splitters, but with a 170, they'll give you great $$$. If you can't get a 170 or maybe even a 169 on the retake apply RD and see what happens. There's still a decent chance they flip you like $60k for the GPA and above 25th LSAT.

Adding onto this question, does anyone know how much money Penn gives for their JD/MBA program. COA at sticker is like $350k, but I assume that they have to be somewhat generous since it's 3 years and essentially costs the same to them as a JD.

Catherinelo365

New

Post by Catherinelo365 » Mon Dec 23, 2013 3:39 am

Same question.
Penn is my dream school (mainly because of its location) but I can only go there if it gives me great $$.
My numbers are 172+3.83 and I applied RD.

helix23

Gold

Post by helix23 » Mon Dec 23, 2013 7:31 pm

Anecdotal but I got schollies from every school in the T14 I got into except Penn. So if you wanted my opinion, yeah they are extraordinarily stingy.

arklaw13

Gold

Post by arklaw13 » Mon Dec 23, 2013 7:48 pm

I've heard they're somewhat stingy unless you're a URM. Then they will make it rain.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

jbagelboy

Diamond

Post by jbagelboy » Tue Dec 24, 2013 12:19 am

helix23 wrote:Anecdotal but I got schollies from every school in the T14 I got into except Penn. So if you wanted my opinion, yeah they are extraordinarily stingy.
Lolyougotpwnt

helix23

Gold

Post by helix23 » Tue Dec 24, 2013 5:25 pm

jbagelboy wrote:
helix23 wrote:Anecdotal but I got schollies from every school in the T14 I got into except Penn. So if you wanted my opinion, yeah they are extraordinarily stingy.
Lolyougotpwnt
lol upenn is TTT anyways

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Return to “Choosing a Law School”