Harvard vs Y and S

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
AllTheLawz
Posts: 369
Joined: Mon Jun 25, 2012 11:20 pm

Re: Harvard vs Y and S

Postby AllTheLawz » Sun Sep 01, 2013 6:07 pm

kappycaft1 wrote:
AllTheLawz wrote:Again, I don't get why people speak with so much authority when they have no clue what they are talking about. When I was choosing between law schools I didn't have a HLS resume, a YLS resume and a SLS resume. I had one resume that would be the exact same at each school. If what you say about resumes at the bottom of the class being worse in general, why the hell does that matter to me if I have a resume that passed the test at all three. Essentially, by your measure I'm safe no matter where I go. Since resume is so important, for the individual student choosing between the schools class size would be an irrelevant factor.

And how on earth would I choose between HYS based on knowing I would be at the very top of HLS.

lol... I don't think you are understanding what sinfiery is saying. He isn't talking about the same person making a different resume to send to each of HYS; he is saying that even the "bottom dwellers" at SLS and YLS will likely have more impressive resumes than the bottom of the class at HYS simply because Y&S are more selective - they have smaller classes and admit fewer students, so they can be picky with those they admit, whereas Harvard has a huge-ass class to fill, so they'll get a lot of people with dull resumes but great numbers (LSAT/GPA).


No, I'm not misunderstanding.. I'm just saying that everything he said was irrelevant. If I have a "bottom dweller" resume/interviewing skills and somehow slip into Y/S and end up in the bottom of my 1L class I am in the same situation I would be in if I was at H. I still have nothing that is going to get an interviewer to hire me over others. Conversely, if I have an decent resume/interviewing skills then I will still stand out against more vanilla candidates rather I'm at H or Y/S.

What people fail to account for is that grades are not decisive at any of these schools. Provided you aren't an absolute disaster gradeswise, resume and interview skills get you a wide range of firms even with all Pass grades. As a result, someone who strikes out at any of the three is likely to be in a similar position no matter which they choose.

Key takeaway is that for an individual worried about striking out the idea that any of these schools is going to insulate noticeably more than the others is misplaced barring some strange situation.

southwick
Posts: 47
Joined: Tue Jul 12, 2011 2:09 am

Re: Harvard vs Y and S

Postby southwick » Sun Sep 01, 2013 6:26 pm

For the love. The reason H doesn't quite get enough love on TLS (relative to its outcomes) is because it gets too much love among laypeople. As long as every non-lawyer in the United States thinks that H is the best law school by at least an order of magnitude, you're going to have people on TLS yelling about how Y & S are both every bit as good as H, and Y at least a step better, and how CCN are Harvard's equals in some respects.

It's an overcorrection, maybe, but when the lay bias is so pro-Harvard, TLS tries hard to fix the misconception that H is the best by far. Combine TLS opinions with lay opinions and you're probably within spitting distance of reality.

PRgradBYU
Posts: 1419
Joined: Thu Jan 10, 2013 8:04 pm

Re: Harvard vs Y and S

Postby PRgradBYU » Sun Sep 01, 2013 7:55 pm

southwick wrote:For the love. The reason H doesn't quite get enough love on TLS (relative to its outcomes) is because it gets too much love among laypeople. As long as every non-lawyer in the United States thinks that H is the best law school by at least an order of magnitude, you're going to have people on TLS yelling about how Y & S are both every bit as good as H, and Y at least a step better, and how CCN are Harvard's equals in some respects.

It's an overcorrection, maybe, but when the lay bias is so pro-Harvard, TLS tries hard to fix the misconception that H is the best by far. Combine TLS opinions with lay opinions and you're probably within spitting distance of reality.


Such a good post. I personally blame the media for perpetuating the misguided layman's view that HLS is the number one law school in the country. See, e.g., The Paper Chase, Legally Blonde, Soul Man, Suits, etc.

Not that I care, but there's barely even a hint at YLS or SLS prestige in these movies / TV show (sans a brief mention of Stanford in Suits a few weeks ago).

Stinson
Posts: 257
Joined: Tue Mar 23, 2010 12:01 am

Re: Harvard vs Y and S

Postby Stinson » Sun Sep 01, 2013 8:06 pm

I can't believe we've actually given OP three pages of the arguing that he wanted. Oh well, since we are already so deep in I will add that the novel upon which the movie Legally Blond is based was actually written about Stanford (the novelist went there). It was changed for the film because no one cares about Stanford. :D

BalanceCare
Posts: 126
Joined: Thu Feb 09, 2012 7:56 pm

Re: Harvard vs Y and S

Postby BalanceCare » Sun Sep 01, 2013 8:15 pm

Stinson wrote: ... the novel upon which the movie Legally Blond is based was actually written about Stanford (the novelist went there). It was changed for the film because no one cares about Stanford. :D


According to Wikipedia, it was changed to Harvard because the Stanford administration disapproved of the script. (Sourced to the S alumni magazine.) Dunno the truth tho.

User avatar
Toby Ziegler
Posts: 701
Joined: Thu May 09, 2013 2:59 pm

Re: Harvard vs Y and S

Postby Toby Ziegler » Sun Sep 01, 2013 9:00 pm

This thread is like a car accident; I want to look away but I can't.

User avatar
ManoftheHour
Posts: 3402
Joined: Tue Jan 22, 2013 6:03 pm

Re: Harvard vs Y and S

Postby ManoftheHour » Sun Sep 01, 2013 10:02 pm

PRgradBYU wrote:
kwais wrote:You have made one of the worst threads on TLS.

User avatar
Ex Cearulo
Posts: 322
Joined: Tue Jun 05, 2012 9:51 pm

Re: Harvard vs Y and S

Postby Ex Cearulo » Mon Sep 02, 2013 6:23 pm

PRgradBYU wrote:
southwick wrote:For the love. The reason H doesn't quite get enough love on TLS (relative to its outcomes) is because it gets too much love among laypeople. As long as every non-lawyer in the United States thinks that H is the best law school by at least an order of magnitude, you're going to have people on TLS yelling about how Y & S are both every bit as good as H, and Y at least a step better, and how CCN are Harvard's equals in some respects.

It's an overcorrection, maybe, but when the lay bias is so pro-Harvard, TLS tries hard to fix the misconception that H is the best by far. Combine TLS opinions with lay opinions and you're probably within spitting distance of reality.


Such a good post. I personally blame the media for perpetuating the misguided layman's view that HLS is the number one law school in the country. See, e.g., The Paper Chase, Legally Blonde, Soul Man, Suits, etc.

Not that I care, but there's barely even a hint at YLS or SLS prestige in these movies / TV show (sans a brief mention of Stanford in Suits a few weeks ago).


Suits also gave a shout out to Yale in season two with the lawyer who came in from Boston to go toe-to-toe with Harvey on two different occasions and was a YLS grad. And it looks like Rachel is going to CLS. Rachel esta muy, muy caliente.

Oh, and OP:
ManoftheHour wrote:
PRgradBYU wrote:
kwais wrote:You have made one of the worst threads on TLS.

20141023
Posts: 3072
Joined: Mon Jun 18, 2012 12:17 am

Re: Harvard vs Y and S

Postby 20141023 » Mon Sep 02, 2013 7:17 pm

.
Last edited by 20141023 on Sun Feb 15, 2015 10:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Ex Cearulo
Posts: 322
Joined: Tue Jun 05, 2012 9:51 pm

Re: Harvard vs Y and S

Postby Ex Cearulo » Mon Sep 02, 2013 8:22 pm

kappycaft1 wrote:Speaking of representation, there is an annual quiz show in Japan called the "Brain World Cup" where representatives from all of the world's top universities come to compete. This year, there were schools like Harvard, Yale, Stanford, Oxford, Singapore, etc., and then several domestic Japanese universities. In the end, Tokyo University ended up kicking everyone's asses, but interestingly enough Yale was the only "foreign" school to make it to the last round. Harvard made it to the semi-finals, and Stanford absolutely got demolished in the early rounds. Of course, it was only 3 people from each school so it was by no means representative whatsoever, but at least a lot of Japanese got to learn about Yale while simultaneously being impressed by them. :lol:


Japan: Where Harvard and Stanford are festering TTTs.

xxlawyerxxlaw
Posts: 6
Joined: Thu Jan 02, 2014 11:16 pm

Re: Harvard vs Y and S

Postby xxlawyerxxlaw » Wed Jan 15, 2014 1:48 am

bump

User avatar
ArtistOfManliness
Posts: 541
Joined: Tue Aug 06, 2013 10:56 pm

Re: Harvard vs Y and S

Postby ArtistOfManliness » Wed Jan 15, 2014 1:55 am

xxlawyerxxlaw wrote:bump


For what purpose?

User avatar
lawschool22
Posts: 3875
Joined: Thu Jul 25, 2013 5:47 pm

Re: Harvard vs Y and S

Postby lawschool22 » Wed Jan 15, 2014 11:30 am

I had almost forgotten about this thread :(




Return to “Choosing a Law School”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Mhr and 3 guests