Phoenix school of law........talk me of of it

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
mewalke1

Phoenix school of law........talk me of of it

Postby mewalke1 » Wed Aug 28, 2013 9:52 pm

So I have almost a full ride to phx school of law.
I was accepted to some other schools but was not able to move....my wife
Just had a baby in June. I'm actually sitting in a phx classroom right now......sitting thru an orientation.

I got a 159 on the LSAT. Took it once.

My LSAT gpa blows because I got 2 Ys my first year in college.

I want to go to law school but this place feels kinda seedy. My first choices were ASU and UofA. I sat in on some classes at UofA and loved it. But got wait listed etc

I know someone who went to phx and them transferred to ASU and just graduated an has a decent job......but then there's this

http://forgottenattorney.wordpress.com/ ... er-update/

Just look up phx school of law lawsuit etc

I know this place sucks and I'm leaning toward
Not going and trying again next year. Just want some opinions.

Thanks

mewalke1

Re: Phoenix school of law........talk me of of it

Postby mewalke1 » Wed Aug 28, 2013 9:53 pm

They are also changing the name to Arizona Summit Law school as part of a rebranding
:roll:

goldeneye

Postby goldeneye » Wed Aug 28, 2013 9:56 pm

Do you want to leave your family with a 80%+ chance of six figure debt, which will affect every single aspect of your life because you aren't practicing as a lawyer?

If so, you should stay at PSL.

If you want to support your family, find a job for a while and then re-take the LSAT. Even going to ASU increases your chances significantly to succeed in the legal profession.

NYstate

Postby NYstate » Wed Aug 28, 2013 10:31 pm

Going to this school would be a terrible waste of time. I wouldn't recommend you going there even if they gave you a full ride and a stipend for living expenses.

Why do you want to go to law school? What is your goal?

Bildungsroman

Postby Bildungsroman » Wed Aug 28, 2013 10:47 pm

If all of the very obviously shitty things about the school (e.g. employment prospects) didn't deter you, what makes you think some internet dudes will be more successful?

Threads of the "convince me not to do x" variety are almost always challenges posed by people who are knowingly making a bad decision despite overwhelming evidence that should compel them to do the opposite, coming from a posture of defensiveness and almost proud bullheadedness. It's not the job of society to individually justify widely applicable facts like the terribleness of Phoenix Law.

mewalke1

Postby mewalke1 » Wed Aug 28, 2013 10:57 pm

Bildungsroman wrote:If all of the very obviously shitty things about the school (e.g. employment prospects) didn't deter you, what makes you think some internet dudes will be more successful?

Threads of the "convince me not to do x" variety are almost always challenges posed by people who are knowingly making a bad decision despite overwhelming evidence that should compel them to do the opposite, coming from a posture of defensiveness and almost proud bullheadedness. It's not the job of society to individually justify widely applicable facts like the terribleness of Phoenix Law.

Mostly I'm looking for opinions on what others would do in the same situation. I know the final decision is mine. I know it's not a great school but knowing the facts and situation what would others do? That's what I'm looking for. I don't think it's a horrible idea to bounce a decision off of others when it's this important. Even if it is Internet dudes :wink:

snagglepuss

Postby snagglepuss » Wed Aug 28, 2013 11:00 pm

Check this to see how poorly U of Phoenix performs in employment placement: http://www.lstscorereports.com/?school=phoenix. And as you said you know Phoenix sucks so get out of there ASAP.

Take the year off, retake the LSAT get a 165+, and shoot for UofA or ASU with a scholarship.
ASU accepted someone with a 2.3 GPA and 165 LSAT and gave them some scholarship money. http://asu.lawschoolnumbers.com/stats/1213

Most importantly, do more research before you commit to your next school; the legal job market is rough and schools are charging a small fortune in tuition. Maximize your employment prospects and minimize your debt.

banjo

Postby banjo » Wed Aug 28, 2013 11:08 pm

Leave, retake the LSAT, enjoy the first year of your baby's life, and go to a real law school.

snagglepuss

Postby snagglepuss » Wed Aug 28, 2013 11:11 pm

Bildungsroman wrote:If all of the very obviously shitty things about the school (e.g. employment prospects) didn't deter you, what makes you think some internet dudes will be more successful?

I'm largely in agreement with you, but this particular OP is at least showing some willingness to step back from the 80th story ledge that is Phoenix Law. We might as well direct those who need such anonymous reassurance towards the resources to make a more informed decision, but maybe we just need an awesome flow chart...

reasonable_man

Postby reasonable_man » Wed Aug 28, 2013 11:16 pm

If you get a job in law, not a good one, but any job in law at all, you will be one of the lucky few from that shit pile school you're at. If you wait, retake and do well, you will attend a real law school. As an attorney, I wouldn't even look at your resume if it said U of Phoenix.

Ti Malice

Postby Ti Malice » Wed Aug 28, 2013 11:45 pm

Don't be an idiot. Abandon that shithole posthaste.

jselson

Postby jselson » Thu Aug 29, 2013 12:09 am

mewalke1 wrote:

Mostly I'm looking for opinions on what others would do in the same situation. I know the final decision is mine. I know it's not a great school but knowing the facts and situation what would others do? That's what I'm looking for. I don't think it's a horrible idea to bounce a decision off of others when it's this important. Even if it is Internet dudes :wink:

If you're asking what others would, the answer is that everyone here at TLS would recommend withdrawing and re-taking.

Tiago Splitter

Postby Tiago Splitter » Thu Aug 29, 2013 12:17 am

mewalke1 wrote: leaning toward Not going and trying again next year

Ti Malice wrote:posthaste

PRgradBYU

Postby PRgradBYU » Thu Aug 29, 2013 1:40 am

Judging by the wording of your post title, I suspect that you already know what to do, OP. Get out of there while you can. Crush the LSAT and attend ASU or UA with a scholly.

Also...

That article wrote:[Phoenix Law is c]onsidering grading all courses as “pass/fail” so that competing law schools could not identify the school’s top performers.

LOL

mewalke1

Postby mewalke1 » Thu Aug 29, 2013 5:37 am

Thanks guys for the honest responses.

You guys didn't need to talk me out of it...they actually did a pretty good job of that themselves.

Just found this article....... pretty interesting.

http://www.charlestoncitypaper.com/charleston/infilaw-charleston-school-of-law-and-the-rise-of-for-profit-colleges/Content?oid=4700624

I just graduated in may and also turned 28 in May. I think this is why I was in a rush to start law school.

Truth be told I didnt even finish the orientation. It was a freaking joke. The first thing the dean said was we expect you to come to lass on time and be prepared. The second thing the she said was if you have a problem with the school don't talk about it with anyone outside the school. She went on for 5 minutes about not saying anything bad about the school. If you have a problem with policy or something the school did etc etc come talk to us but don't say anything bad about the school to anyone......Geeeez I wonder if they have a problem with that.

The president of inifilaw also talked and you could tell he didn't believe in the shit he was trying to sell us. It was so obvious that he knew he was full of it. I was planning to leave after that but I stayed just out of interest. I almost asked about how they are currently being sued by two former professors but I felt that if I did I would be blacklisted or something.

They had a former student come in a show us a inspirational video. And then write down how we felt after. Found it on youtube.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mgmVOuLgFB0&oref=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DmgmVOuLgFB0&has_verified=1

Just made me want to watch the dark knight rises.

They had IT come in and show us how to access our account etc and tried to sell us a service plan
for our laptops that the school wanted us to buy from a retailer they had a deal with. There is actually one time rise in tuition so you can buy a laptop. I was like you have to be kidding me. I have a macbook pro and don't want to be charged for some POS Im just going to sell on craigslist. You don't have to buy it but I still think its build in the price of tuition.

They had a professor come in and she was supposed to give a one hour presentation but they were running behind and had her cut it to 25 minutes. I was about what it took to be a lawyer emotionally.

I left after that.

Ok Im going on and on. All I know is that it gave a pretty bad impression. School doesn't officially start till Sept 3rd....gonna call tmrw and withdraw my acceptance.

Ludo!

Postby Ludo! » Thu Aug 29, 2013 5:46 am

How have you been on this site for a year and have over 100 posts and still enroll in this school

mewalke1

Postby mewalke1 » Thu Aug 29, 2013 5:55 am

Ludovico Technique wrote:How have you been on this site for a year and have over 100 posts and still enroll in this school

Didn't actually enroll just went to orientation. Classes don't start till next week. Was hoping to get in off a waitlist but just got the email that they weren't taking anymore students the other day.

Like I said in my post Im 28 and was considering it because I felt a little desperate to start law school.

reasonable_man

Postby reasonable_man » Thu Aug 29, 2013 6:22 am

mewalke1 wrote:Thanks guys for the honest responses.

You guys didn't need to talk me out of it...they actually did a pretty good job of that themselves.

Just found this article....... pretty interesting.

http://www.charlestoncitypaper.com/charleston/infilaw-charleston-school-of-law-and-the-rise-of-for-profit-colleges/Content?oid=4700624

I just graduated in may and also turned 28 in May. I think this is why I was in a rush to start law school.

Truth be told I didnt even finish the orientation. It was a freaking joke. The first thing the dean said was we expect you to come to lass on time and be prepared. The second thing the she said was if you have a problem with the school don't talk about it with anyone outside the school. She went on for 5 minutes about not saying anything bad about the school. If you have a problem with policy or something the school did etc etc come talk to us but don't say anything bad about the school to anyone......Geeeez I wonder if they have a problem with that.

The president of inifilaw also talked and you could tell he didn't believe in the shit he was trying to sell us. It was so obvious that he knew he was full of it. I was planning to leave after that but I stayed just out of interest. I almost asked about how they are currently being sued by two former professors but I felt that if I did I would be blacklisted or something.

They had a former student come in a show us a inspirational video. And then write down how we felt after. Found it on youtube.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mgmVOuLgFB0&oref=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DmgmVOuLgFB0&has_verified=1

Just made me want to watch the dark knight rises.

They had IT come in and show us how to access our account etc and tried to sell us a service plan
for our laptops that the school wanted us to buy from a retailer they had a deal with. There is actually one time rise in tuition so you can buy a laptop. I was like you have to be kidding me. I have a macbook pro and don't want to be charged for some POS Im just going to sell on craigslist. You don't have to buy it but I still think its build in the price of tuition.

They had a professor come in and she was supposed to give a one hour presentation but they were running behind and had her cut it to 25 minutes. I was about what it took to be a lawyer emotionally.

I left after that.

Ok Im going on and on. All I know is that it gave a pretty bad impression. School doesn't officially start till Sept 3rd....gonna call tmrw and withdraw my acceptance.

The sloppiness of your writing is profound; it is. Work on they precision in they comning yeer.

bjsesq
TLS Poet Laureate

Postby bjsesq » Thu Aug 29, 2013 8:30 am

A simple "fuck off" would have sufficed there, Desmothenes.

TheJanitor6203

Postby TheJanitor6203 » Thu Aug 29, 2013 9:16 am

But I know a guy that went there and he has a job. The employment prospects can't be that bad then!

It took him a year to find the job and he's doing personal injury law but still.. he has a job.

Seriously though, you made the right decision.

Cicero76

Postby Cicero76 » Thu Aug 29, 2013 9:30 am

PRgradBYU wrote:
That article wrote:[Phoenix Law is c]onsidering grading all courses as “pass/fail” so that competing law schools could not identify the school’s top performers.

LOL

To be fair, Phoenix Law is pretty much just like Yale. Employers know exactly the caliber of all the graduates, so they don't need grades to judge them.

hephaestus

Postby hephaestus » Thu Aug 29, 2013 9:34 am

PRgradBYU wrote:Judging by the wording of your post title, I suspect that you already know what to do, OP. Get out of there while you can. Crush the LSAT and attend ASU or UA with a scholly.

Also...

LOL

This is one of the more egregious things I've read about TTTTs.

mewalke1

Postby mewalke1 » Thu Aug 29, 2013 9:58 am

The sloppiness of your writing is profound; it is. Work on they precision in they comning yeer.

haha yea I know it's bad but I was typing it on my iphone in a hot tub. :)

unclepete

Postby unclepete » Thu Aug 29, 2013 10:14 am

That article is terrifying.

Good choice, OP. Good luck on the LSAT and your next application cycle.

Oh, and 28 is not old in the scheme of things.

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Thu Aug 29, 2013 10:38 am

mewalke1 wrote:

You already know the answer. Don't go to this school, and most likely you should avoid law school altogether.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”