Content Deleted.

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
T-forteenager

Content Deleted.

Postby T-forteenager » Tue Aug 27, 2013 3:05 pm

Last edited by T-forteenager on Wed Oct 09, 2013 3:01 pm, edited 2 times in total.

rinkrat19

Re: Family Connection in Miami BigLaw - What school to pick?

Postby rinkrat19 » Tue Aug 27, 2013 3:06 pm

Can this family connection override the hiring process and just get you a job? If yes, you don't need OCI. If no, what benefit do you think this connection will have? Just a good word to the hiring committee?

badaboom61

Postby badaboom61 » Tue Aug 27, 2013 3:10 pm

It shouldn't matter whether the firm comes to any school's OCI. If the connection is actually worth anything, they'll be able to get you an interview by passing your resume around to the right people.

T-forteenager

Postby T-forteenager » Tue Aug 27, 2013 3:15 pm

Last edited by T-forteenager on Wed Oct 09, 2013 1:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

timbs4339

Postby timbs4339 » Tue Aug 27, 2013 3:47 pm

The process for using connections is: you just send a resume to the partner, they forward it onto HR, you'll probably get a screener. Unless your connection is the office's biggest client or you're the managing partner's son.

How good is this family connection if you're thinking about going through the OCI process? Remember, there are other partners at that firm, with other family connections or friends who also go to law school. It might get you an interview, but it's not gonna get you the job. If you're applying to a T-14 you'll have other options, but it's important to keep that in mind.

rad lulz

Postby rad lulz » Tue Aug 27, 2013 4:10 pm

timbs4339 wrote:The process for using connections is: you just send a resume to the partner, they forward it onto HR, you'll probably get a screener. Unless your connection is the office's biggest client or you're the managing partner's son.

How good is this family connection if you're thinking about going through the OCI process? Remember, there are other partners at that firm, with other family connections or friends who also go to law school. It might get you an interview, but it's not gonna get you the job. If you're applying to a T-14 you'll have other options, but it's important to keep that in mind.

Yeah basically this. If your connection is REALLY good maybe they skip the screener and do the CB only, but actual connections that can get you the job withoit you already having the grades/experience/personality are really, really rare.

0heL

Postby 0heL » Tue Aug 27, 2013 4:59 pm

timbs4339 wrote:The process for using connections is: you just send a resume to the partner, they forward it onto HR, you'll probably get a screener. Unless your connection is the office's biggest client or you're the managing partner's son.

Interesting.

I'm sure this is an obvious question - but whats the difference between an OCI and a screener?

rinkrat19

Postby rinkrat19 » Tue Aug 27, 2013 5:02 pm

0heL wrote:

Interesting.

I'm sure this is an obvious question - but whats the difference between an OCI and a screener?

OCI is the formal program of on-campus screeners.

badaboom61

Postby badaboom61 » Tue Aug 27, 2013 5:13 pm

rinkrat19 wrote:
0heL wrote:

Interesting.

OCI is the formal program of on-campus screeners.

Many firms don't have "screeners" for interviewees outside of OCI; they just invite you directly to the office for a callback based on your resume and transcript. Others will let you come in to the office for a "screener" interview which is a short interview with one or two attorneys, and then you would get a callback if they liked you after that.

crestor

Postby crestor » Tue Aug 27, 2013 10:11 pm

living in miami would be so epic

Cicero76

Postby Cicero76 » Wed Aug 28, 2013 7:05 pm

crestor wrote:living in miami would be so epic

Lol wut

jbagelboy

Postby jbagelboy » Wed Aug 28, 2013 9:30 pm

Cicero76 wrote:
crestor wrote:living in miami would be so epic

Lol wut

Miami as a millionaire would be sweet

Miami as a broke ass law student? Idk

ZVBXRPL

Postby ZVBXRPL » Wed Aug 28, 2013 9:45 pm

University of Miami Law School is a great choice.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4bhLPOzzyBI

crestor

Postby crestor » Wed Aug 28, 2013 10:16 pm

ZVBXRPL wrote:University of Miami Law School is a great choice.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4bhLPOzzyBI

the weird thing is that guy looks like the spitting image of my poly sci professor.

froglee

Postby froglee » Thu Aug 29, 2013 7:43 am

T-forteenager wrote:I have a pretty reputable family connection in a V100 firm - specifically in a branch in a secondary market (Miami). Since I'm applying to a bunch of T14s, wouldn't it be best to lean towards schools that have OCI with this particular farm? That way I can max out my chances of getting a jerb through the family connec + a good OCI interview

Is there any resource/directory/website I can go to that will tell me what schools have OCI with this firm?

In the realm of biglaw, if your family connection cannot get you a job regardless of how well you did in your OCI, your grades, your school, then your family connection is worthless.

Based on the fact you are still cluelessly asking how your family connection might work for you to total strangers, I can only conclude your family connection is total trash. There is no need for you to reply me to argue otherwise.

T-forteenager

Postby T-forteenager » Wed Sep 18, 2013 11:04 am

froglee wrote:
T-forteenager wrote:I have a pretty reputable family connection in a V100 firm - specifically in a branch in a secondary market (Miami). Since I'm applying to a bunch of T14s, wouldn't it be best to lean towards schools that have OCI with this particular farm? That way I can max out my chances of getting a jerb through the family connec + a good OCI interview

Is there any resource/directory/website I can go to that will tell me what schools have OCI with this firm?

In the realm of biglaw, if your family connection cannot get you a job regardless of how well you did in your OCI, your grades, your school, then your family connection is worthless.

Based on the fact you are still cluelessly asking how your family connection might work for you to total strangers, I can only conclude your family connection is total trash. There is no need for you to reply me to argue otherwise.

well, you seem like a nice guy

hephaestus

Postby hephaestus » Wed Sep 18, 2013 11:15 am

T-forteenager wrote:
froglee wrote:

The problem is that family connections in Vault firms tend not to be helpful. Firms do their best to insulate the hiring process from nepotism.

timbs4339

Postby timbs4339 » Wed Sep 18, 2013 12:22 pm

ImNoScar wrote:
T-forteenager wrote:
froglee wrote:

The problem is that family connections in Vault firms tend not to be helpful. Firms do their best to insulate the hiring process from nepotism.

There's also just too damn many. Rich people tend to know a lot of other rich people, and lots of rich people's kids go to law school. Take a Vault firm in NY with 100 partners, and each one of them will probably have relatives or family friends coming at them with people who they know going to law school who need jobs. That's before you get into the kids of big name clients.

hephaestus

Postby hephaestus » Wed Sep 18, 2013 12:34 pm

timbs4339 wrote:There's also just too damn many. Rich people tend to know a lot of other rich people, and lots of rich people's kids go to law school. Take a Vault firm in NY with 100 partners, and each one of them will probably have relatives or family friends coming at them with people who they know going to law school who need jobs. That's before you get into the kids of big name clients.

Exactly. And the kids of clients are obviously going to come way before some random partner's connections in the pecking order.

TheSpanishMain

Postby TheSpanishMain » Thu Sep 19, 2013 2:53 pm

froglee wrote:

Haha, wow. I didn't know you could declare internet arguments over by fiat.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”