Content Deleted.

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
0heL

Content Deleted.

Postby 0heL » Tue Aug 27, 2013 11:03 am

Last edited by 0heL on Wed Oct 09, 2013 3:10 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Winston1984

Re: Can You Defer an ED Acceptance / Other Questions

Postby Winston1984 » Tue Aug 27, 2013 11:19 am

The best advice anyone can give you is to contact the school and ask them all of these questions directly.

Ramius

Postby Ramius » Tue Aug 27, 2013 11:24 am

If you ED, you are committed to School X only if you are going to go to law school. There is always the option to withdraw if the school comes through and you give up the law school chase for the cycle. As for ED and deferrals, it really will depend on the school. I don't know of any hard and fast evidence that you'll be bound to attend in that year or if a deferral will be allowed. Generally speaking, if a school accepts you ED or RD, they will at least entertain deferral requests based on the circumstances from what I've seen/read/heard. They may say no and force you to withdraw instead of deferring, but you can always just reapply in future years and likely have the same outcome if your numbers are strong enough. The school won't hold it against you if you decide to withdraw, although you'll have to explain in a future application why you chose not to attend (professional opportunity is a good excuse for this).

Also, the above poster has TCR.

0heL

Postby 0heL » Tue Aug 27, 2013 12:55 pm

Thanks guys.

I'm surprised, though, at the idea of schools not getting pissed for you using "professional opportunity" as an excuse for withdrawing on an ED application.

Monochromatic Oeuvre

Postby Monochromatic Oeuvre » Tue Aug 27, 2013 1:27 pm

0heL wrote:1) How easy is it to get law schools to let you defer a year? Two years? Are they typically chill with that?

A year, usually yes. Two years, maybe, depending on the school. Call and ask, or use the search function here.

2) If I apply ED, can I still defer my acceptance by a year?

Less common, because the school's advantage in having you ED is having a spot locked up before the new year. I think a few allow it, but call and ask, or use the search function here.

3) When you apply ED to School X, you obviously can't decide to go to School Y. But can you still change your mind and decide not to go to School X???

You're a free human being, of course you can decide not to go. Early decision contracts only state that if you're accepted, you have to withdraw all your other deposits, acceptances, and pending applications to other schools for that year. Not that you can't apply next year or that you must go to law school.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”