Schools with Summer job options close by

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
JoshuaLyman

Schools with Summer job options close by

Postby JoshuaLyman » Tue Aug 27, 2013 9:21 am

Hi, I'm wondering if any schools have a solid amount of summer positions close enough to the school where I wouldn't have to move to have a summer legal job... I plan on moving to school with my gf who is a nurse and obviously won't be able to pack up and move to another state for the summer. So I want to find a school that will allow me to stay where I am over the summer. Basically I don't want to go to say Duke and have to move to NYC for the summer.

So far, open to pretty much any T14, also local schools BU & BC

Interested in clerking, PI, Gov, politics would obviously work for a firm (any size) if that was where my best opportunity was

Is this a possibility or am I being naive?

Thank you

DrStudMuffin

Re: Schools with Summer job options close by

Postby DrStudMuffin » Tue Aug 27, 2013 10:02 am

This is definitely the best criteria on which to base a law school decision.

kwais

Postby kwais » Tue Aug 27, 2013 10:04 am

Umm...metropolitan centers? America has many, and many of them have many law schools. NY, Chi, SF, Boston to start. Are you asking something beyond this?

hephaestus

Postby hephaestus » Tue Aug 27, 2013 10:08 am

+1 to Kwais. This is a common reason people choose Northwestern over Virginia or Duke, for example. Beyond that, I'm not sure what you're asking.

Danger Zone

Postby Danger Zone » Tue Aug 27, 2013 10:08 am

Put on your big boy shoes and pick the best option for you based on the employment data. You can kiss your girlfriend goodbye for one summer. Some people go through all of law school in LDRs. You can survive three months.

guano

Postby guano » Tue Aug 27, 2013 10:54 am

In order of best local employment options: Columbia, NYU, Fordham, Cardozo, Brooklyn, and the other NYC rejects, UCLA, USC, Pepperdine; Georgetown, GW, American; Chicago, NU, {who else is in Chicago?}; UPenn; Stanford, Berkeley, hastings; emory, John Marshall, Georgia State; Harvard, BU/BC

Edit: I forgot to include Dallas and Houston law schools, as if they should count

IAFG

Postby IAFG » Tue Aug 27, 2013 10:57 am

Apply to all the T14-20 and then evaluate your choices and scholarship offers. If your girlfriend can't calm her tits for an 8 week summer program this is not the relationship for you.

JoshuaLyman

Postby JoshuaLyman » Tue Aug 27, 2013 11:16 am

guano wrote:In order of best local employment options: Columbia, NYU, Fordham, Cardozo, Brooklyn, and the other NYC rejects, UCLA, USC, Pepperdine; Georgetown, GW, American; Chicago, NU, {who else is in Chicago?}; UPenn; Stanford, Berkeley, hastings; emory, John Marshall, Georgia State; Harvard, BU/BC

Edit: I forgot to include Dallas and Houston law schools, as if they should count

Thanks for the info, very helpful, and somehow you managed to not play Dr. Phil to a pseudonym on a TLS forum!

IAFG

Postby IAFG » Tue Aug 27, 2013 11:38 am

If you aren't in anywhere, entertaining this topic is somewhere between unhelpful and harmful. You need to apply broadly to negotiate scholarships, so this discussion in no way limits where you apply. Once you get in places, you can consider summers. Which, I don't know if you realize, isn't just an internship, but rather if you're lucky it will be where you work for 2+ years after LS.

But sorry to play Dr Phil. I am sure you aren't contemplating doing anything so idiotic as to warrant it.

Informative

Postby Informative » Wed Aug 28, 2013 10:27 am

IAFG wrote:Apply to all the T14-20 and then evaluate your choices and scholarship offers. If your girlfriend can't calm her tits for an 8 week summer program this is not the relationship for you.

Why T14-20? You would be limiting yourself to Los Angeles, Austin, Nashville, etc.

BC/BU are no different than USC/UCLA, just in a different market.

The better choice would be to figure out what cities you want to work in and apply to schools in those markets.

Looking only outside of the T-14:
Los Angeles - USC/UCLA
New York - Fordham
D.C. - GW
Boston - BC/BU
Minneapolis/St. Paul - UMinn
St. Louis - WUSTL
Austin - Texas
Nashville - Vandy
Atlanta - Emory
Chicago - ND
Seattle - Washington

guano

Postby guano » Wed Aug 28, 2013 11:34 am

Informative wrote:
IAFG wrote:Apply to all the T14-20 and then evaluate your choices and scholarship offers. If your girlfriend can't calm her tits for an 8 week summer program this is not the relationship for you.

Why T14-20? You would be limiting yourself to Los Angeles, Austin, Nashville, etc.

The better choice would be to figure out what cities you want to work in and apply to schools in those markets.

Los Angeles - USC/UCLA
New York - Fordham
D.C. - GW
Boston - BC/BU
St. Louis - WUSTL
Austin - Texas
Nashville - Vandy
Atlanta - Emory
Chicago - ND
Seattle - Washington

She meant apply to the T14 and maybe also T20
Based on the requested criteria, UT, Vandy, WUSTL, WA and Minn are probably a bad idea and Notre Dame is definitely out

Informative

Postby Informative » Wed Aug 28, 2013 12:59 pm

guano wrote:
Informative wrote:

Los Angeles - USC/UCLA
New York - Fordham
D.C. - GW
Boston - BC/BU
St. Louis - WUSTL
Austin - Texas
Nashville - Vandy
Atlanta - Emory
Chicago - ND
Seattle - Washington

She meant apply to the T14 and maybe also T20
Based on the requested criteria, UT, Vandy, WUSTL, WA and Minn are probably a bad idea and Notre Dame is definitely out

Exactly. Not the best idea to limit your safety schools to schools in the T14-T20 if you don't want to practice in any of those markets. I would just go with the T14 and add a handful of the schools listed above based on which of those schools are in the market(s) I'm interested in.

Davidbentley

Postby Davidbentley » Wed Aug 28, 2013 1:36 pm

Return to “Choosing a Law School”