Thoughts on big ten law schools? Which ones are worth it?

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
$$$$$$

Re: Thoughts on big ten law schools? Which ones are worth it?

Postby $$$$$$ » Mon Aug 26, 2013 11:02 am

Dude, don't listen to people in this thread. Law students for the most part have absolutely horrible business minds. First of all, start-ups don't want to hire law firms because either (1) You suck cash out of the business to pay for shit that an idiot can do (like filing corporate documents) taking away money from operating the business or executing strategic plays; or (2) You give away equity in the company in return for legal services (the model of a lot of the big start up firms) and as you go through venture rounds (if you make it there) that equity becomes more and more valuable to you. People should really not give advice about stuff they know nothing about it, it seems that law students try and do this a lot.

Thoughts on which big ten schools are worth it obviously include NW and Michigan. But Illinois, Wisconsin, Indiana and Minnesota have decent programs as well. The problem is that these schools are insulated from major cities (NYC, Chicago, etc). I would consider only Michigan, NW, Wisconsin and Minnesota for your interests. Minneapolis is a really cool city with a lot of start-ups popping up there because of the cost of living and the amount of young people that gravitate there. Madison is also a pretty cool spot and might have some opportunities there as well. Indiana is middle of nowhere and so is illinois, while both are good schools, I think being around a city is important.

I have a lot of friends at start-ups and friends from law school working at venture - minded law firms (Cooley, Wilson Sonsini, etc) so feel free to PM me. Also went to Big Ten UG.

timbs4339

Postby timbs4339 » Mon Aug 26, 2013 11:05 am

Thethoughtcounts176 wrote:
ImNoScar wrote:What startup is going to hire a totally inexperienced lawyer? I think you need to reevaluate your plan because its unrealistic.

It's funny the quick assumptions that are made on threads like this. I have connections with firms that do venture, acquisitions, and a variety of things that I'm not going to get into here because I don't want to divulge too much. I'd have to write an autobiography and i work on a lot of sensitive projects.

But yeah, i guess from the assumptions what I'm trying to do is very unrealistic lol. jeez, this is hilarious. When i said I'm not looking at huge firms, i didn't mean I'm going to go solo immediately. and i think i already said that. I'm still obviously going to work to be at a firm first before i venture out on my own. I can't believe these things need to be explained to people. I appreciate a lot of the feedback I've been getting from some of the responses, but my buddies warned me that law school can be like high school all over again.

And it's obviously apparent from some of the responses on this thread in particular. The assumptions being made immediately Last time i checked that doesn't make for a good lawyer. Maybe it's the LSAT mindset Awful, lol. Internet culture at its finest. Animalistic, foaming at the mouth when any perceived mistake can be ridiculed. As I'm sure we're all perfect and of course I've read every single FAQ and sticky, so why should i not know all this obvious information?

Could I be too busy with a variety of things going on in my life that would prevent me from reading through hundreds of threads to find my answer? Or maybe I am just being lazy? You're right. I am lazy. Call me stupid but my time is a lot more valuable than being a forum hero. Ridicule this thread's topic now. As I'm sure every person here with the football references is a full time hotshot partner at a big firm right now with all their t14 debt paid off. Yeah, I'm sure that's the case for every one of them.

Fucking internet man, lol. No wonder the NSA does the shit they do. To keep track of people who make them angry on online message boards lol.

The assumptions are being made because your initial post was, to put it mildly, fucking stupid. The impression people reasonably took from it was that you were an idiot who picked law schools based on athletic conference/some wish to recreate the "college experience." I really don't care how much you have going on (and since you were able to vomit out this massive rant it must be less than you're letting on) but when you write stuff, expect people to read it and draw conclusions.

It's great that you want to go solo eventually and it's doable, but until you understand that you will have no ability to do even the most basic legal tasks when you graduate from any law school, you might not want to toss aside the idea of biglaw so quickly. That's why the best advice would be to expand your list of schools to T14 outside the midwest. You may have a connection at a boutique firm or IP/VC outfit that has guaranteed you a job, but until you actually say that, we have to assume that you're coming in with no knowledge about how things really work. And it's a legitimate question as to why a startup would hire you to be a lawyer when you have literally no experience practicing law. I'd think they'd just hire you to do whatever you are doing now, and hire someone else to do the legal work.

And I know plenty of people who likely have much better resumes than yours who are starting out at big firms doing scut work.

JJ123

Postby JJ123 » Mon Aug 26, 2013 11:16 am

Thethoughtcounts176 wrote:yeah most likely want to practice in NY, California, or Chicago. Portland or Seattle are contenders as well. I mainly focused on these places because they have vibrant startup atmospheres. some pretty exciting things going on. I'm not really looking to get into a ton of debt just to go to a top 14 school especially because I'm not necessarily looking to go after these big firms. I'm into startups. I'm not looking to be a slave. I'm looking to go solo asap.

Then you should probably look at a school close to where you want to practice. An Illinois degree may get you into Chicago, it will not get you into NY or California.

PRgradBYU

Postby PRgradBYU » Tue Aug 27, 2013 3:43 pm

Let me get this straight: OP is using affiliation with the Big Ten conference as a criteria for choosing a law school, and then planning on practicing corporate law at a startup right after graduating from said school?

LOL

Thethoughtcounts176

Postby Thethoughtcounts176 » Sat Aug 31, 2013 8:40 pm

$$$$$$ wrote:Dude, don't listen to people in this thread. Law students for the most part have absolutely horrible business minds. First of all, start-ups don't want to hire law firms because either (1) You suck cash out of the business to pay for shit that an idiot can do (like filing corporate documents) taking away money from operating the business or executing strategic plays; or (2) You give away equity in the company in return for legal services (the model of a lot of the big start up firms) and as you go through venture rounds (if you make it there) that equity becomes more and more valuable to you. People should really not give advice about stuff they know nothing about it, it seems that law students try and do this a lot.

Thoughts on which big ten schools are worth it obviously include NW and Michigan. But Illinois, Wisconsin, Indiana and Minnesota have decent programs as well. The problem is that these schools are insulated from major cities (NYC, Chicago, etc). I would consider only Michigan, NW, Wisconsin and Minnesota for your interests. Minneapolis is a really cool city with a lot of start-ups popping up there because of the cost of living and the amount of young people that gravitate there. Madison is also a pretty cool spot and might have some opportunities there as well. Indiana is middle of nowhere and so is illinois, while both are good schools, I think being around a city is important.

I have a lot of friends at start-ups and friends from law school working at venture - minded law firms (Cooley, Wilson Sonsini, etc) so feel free to PM me. Also went to Big Ten UG.

Thanks. I appreciate the consideration and helpful constructive advice. Michigan and NW seem to be where i want to look for now, but thanks for mentioning Minnesota and Wisconsin. Wasn't thinking of them initially, but I'll have to do some more research on them and the post-grad landscape for them.

Yeah, I know because I work with a bunch of law firms on some of the projects I'm involved in. Many times we'll find out later down the line that we don't need them for certain services that they did for us in the insane rush at the very beginning. But we learn and it's sometimes good to have some expert legal advice in certain areas that may require jumping some regulatory or other legal hurdles before bullrushing into a market. So the learning experience is sometimes worth burning some cash at the beginning if no one has the requisite legal knowledge or exact industry history for some aspect of a project, especially when it is in relation to new law like the health care law. But generally, the several management groups I work with, incubators, vc "boutiques" and, angels have stockpiled a great deal of legal knowledge to prevent wasteful spending for the most part on legal services. Believe me, no lawyers are taking advantage of us or we would never do business with them Any lawyer involved has to be in our community and that's one of the reasons, as an insider, i think a law degree would be perfect for me because I'm already here with contacts in both startup land and the land of venture law to some degree.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”