Alabama, Univ of Georgia, Emory, Vandy, Wake Forest, UNC

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
itachiuchiha

Alabama, Univ of Georgia, Emory, Vandy, Wake Forest, UNC

Postby itachiuchiha » Wed Aug 21, 2013 2:52 pm

I have ties to Florida and would like to work in FL after I graduate
I have a 158 3.82 will be retaking and am considering
Alabama, Univ of Georgia, Emory, Vandy, Wake Forest, UNC or UF or FSU, for work in Florida
What do you suggest? are those degrees portable?

shaynislegend

Re: Alabama, Univ of Georgia, Emory, Vandy, Wake Forest, UNC

Postby shaynislegend » Wed Aug 21, 2013 3:10 pm

itachiuchiha wrote:I have ties to Florida and would like to work in FL after I graduate
Alabama, Univ of Georgia, Emory, Vandy, Wake Forest, UNC or UF or FSU, for work in Florida

Most of those schools are regional. If you want to practice in Florida and those are the schools are you are set on then it is between UF and FSU. You have a really strong GPA though, so I would take the retake the LSAT until you drop.

MyNameIsFlynn!

Postby MyNameIsFlynn! » Wed Aug 21, 2013 3:12 pm

If you want to work only in FL, scratch Bama, UGA, and Emory off the list. Really, you should be looking at UF/FSU in state or T14 if the retake goes well. Best suggestion would be to study your ass off and kill the LSAT.

What area/s of law are you interested in? Career goals?

Most of those schools are regional

All these schools are in the same region bro. Most of OPs schools only serve their own state's legal market

shaynislegend

Postby shaynislegend » Wed Aug 21, 2013 3:17 pm

Most is a nice way of saying "all those schools are pretty much the same". FWIW if the money is the same between FSU and UF I would go for FSU, their employment score is much better in Florida.

itachiuchiha

Postby itachiuchiha » Wed Aug 21, 2013 3:28 pm

shaynislegend wrote:Most is a nice way of saying "all those schools are pretty much the same". FWIW if the money is the same between FSU and UF I would go for FSU, their employment score is much better in Florida.

you are right, but I dont know why UF still holds more prestige in FL than FSU if the better jobs come out of FSU. I also hear the tuition at UF is increasing.

arklaw13

Postby arklaw13 » Wed Aug 21, 2013 7:12 pm

Retake and get money at Vandy or Uva. I'm at Vandy at it seems like half my class is from Florida.

AT9

Postby AT9 » Wed Aug 21, 2013 7:50 pm

itachiuchiha wrote:I have ties to Florida and would like to work in FL after I graduate

Are you URM? If not, I don't think your chances are good at any of those schools except FSU and maybe UF. Even then, your LSAT is below both medians. Glad to see you're retaking (as am I).

4-5 more points could make you really competitive for UGA, FSU, UF, and WF, especially with medians dropping like they are. Probably need mid-160's to have good shots at Emory, Vandy, and Bama.

I'm looking at pretty much the same schools - good luck!

Dr. Dre

Postby Dr. Dre » Thu Aug 22, 2013 3:39 am

retake

itachiuchiha

Postby itachiuchiha » Thu Aug 22, 2013 10:15 pm

with the dropping medians, you guys really think that I have a tough chance at getting into those schools

AT9

Postby AT9 » Thu Aug 22, 2013 11:14 pm

itachiuchiha wrote:with the dropping medians, you guys really think that I have a tough chance at getting into those schools

I hope not, because that means we'll both be in good shape :wink:

But really, take a look at http://mylsn.info/dispresults.php. Based on your numbers and the past 5 cycles, here's how similar students have fared with acceptance %'s:

Bama: 75% (??)
UGA: 8%
Emory: 7%
Vandy: 17%
WF: 9%
UNC: 18%
UF: 45%
FSU: 60%

So pretty on par with what I said earlier. I don't know how you plan to finance law school, but scholarships are unlikely at these schools. The median drops will no doubt help everyone, but they probably won't drop enough in this cycle to tip the scales in your favor at most of these schools with a 158. Get even a few more questions right for a 160-162 and it's a TOTALLY different ball game.

EDIT: If you don't re-take/don't improve, I'd suggest LSU, Tulane, and Miami if you want Southeast/Florida. Perhaps even someplace like Stetson...I think their employment numbers are as good or better than UF right now.

BigZuck

Postby BigZuck » Thu Aug 22, 2013 11:17 pm

Even if you get in to these schools you shouldn't go to them at the prices you will inevitably have to pay.

Don't waste any brainpower thinking about whether you will get in or not because you shouldn't even go to law school with those numbers anyway. Just place all of your focus on the LSAT, that's the only law school-related thing you should be thinking about right now.

itachiuchiha

Postby itachiuchiha » Sun Sep 01, 2013 2:50 pm

with the UF median down to 160 adn their GPA median also lower, do you think I would have a better shot at a partial scholly with my 158/3.82?

BigZuck

Postby BigZuck » Sun Sep 01, 2013 4:18 pm

BigZuck wrote:Even if you get in to these schools you shouldn't go to them at the prices you will inevitably have to pay.

Don't waste any brainpower thinking about whether you will get in or not because you shouldn't even go to law school with those numbers anyway. Just place all of your focus on the LSAT, that's the only law school-related thing you should be thinking about right now.

AT9

Postby AT9 » Sun Sep 01, 2013 10:59 pm

itachiuchiha wrote:with the UF median down to 160 adn their GPA median also lower, do you think I would have a better shot at a partial scholly with my 158/3.82?

I think you have pretty decent shot. You're below the LSAT median by a couple, but you're also above the 25th by a couple. And your GPA is great.

However, I think you would probably have better scholly at FSU, if at either. I've heard UF is stingy.

xylocarp

Postby xylocarp » Mon Sep 02, 2013 11:59 am

If you're planning on retaking, I personally wouldn't worry
too much about pre-retake chances.

nebula666

Postby nebula666 » Sat Sep 07, 2013 9:04 am

AT9 wrote:
itachiuchiha wrote:with the UF median down to 160 adn their GPA median also lower, do you think I would have a better shot at a partial scholly with my 158/3.82?

I think you have pretty decent shot. You're below the LSAT median by a couple, but you're also above the 25th by a couple. And your GPA is great.

However, I think you would probably have better scholly at FSU, if at either. I've heard UF is stingy.

UF gives out either $36k or $45k if you have good numbers. Tuition is $21k / year. 36k at UF is more money than $100k at Miami or another private school.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”