Should I accept the offer?

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
oneifbyland
Posts: 2
Joined: Mon Aug 19, 2013 11:33 pm

Should I accept the offer?

Postby oneifbyland » Mon Aug 19, 2013 11:45 pm

Stats: 162, 3.74

I'm currently debating whether should attend WUSTL with a guaranteed $100,000 scholly. I don't want to practice in MO (I want DC or NY or possibly Chicago but seriously who doesn't?). My debt load would still be $150,000 after undergrad. But I still love the idea of law school since it's been a life-long dream and I feel like this is a tremendous offer for my numbers (I did have solid softs).

My other option is a little bit different. I've been accepted into an economic development program at a UK ivy because I'm interested in working in that field which I feel would suite my lifestyle more but doesn't have the same financial potential at least not initially. Also, I've already done substantial work preparing for leaving. From what I've done networking it seems that I have a decent shot at getting a position out of grad school. Also, I can try for the PMF, a Fulbright, Pathways, etc. which if I get, sets me up for a long time. Debt load is 90k and that includes living in the UK/travel. (As a side note, I didn't apply to US programs because most jobs in the field want international experience/education).

I'm honestly torn. Thoughts?

User avatar
KD35
Posts: 948
Joined: Wed Apr 24, 2013 11:30 am

Re: Should I accept the offer?

Postby KD35 » Mon Aug 19, 2013 11:52 pm

You sound uncertain about law school. That being the case, paired with having to still take out a decent amount of loans: Don't go to law school. If in a few years you decide you do want to go, then reapply (preferably with a better LSAT) and you could hopefully be a more attractive candidate. Don't spend 3 years and thousands of dollars on something that you might want to do.

User avatar
rinkrat19
Posts: 13916
Joined: Sat Sep 25, 2010 5:35 am

Re: Should I accept the offer?

Postby rinkrat19 » Mon Aug 19, 2013 11:53 pm

You should decide whether you actually want to be a lawyer. If the answer is yes, then you should retake the LSAT so you're not blatantly wasting that GPA.

User avatar
jbagelboy
Posts: 9645
Joined: Thu Nov 29, 2012 7:57 pm

Re: Should I accept the offer?

Postby jbagelboy » Mon Aug 19, 2013 11:54 pm

Id do the Oxbridge/LSE economic development masters/phd and then retake the LSAT and head to a T13 law school with lower debt in a few years if you're still interested in practicing law. If its not one of those 3, Id seriously consider the merits of the program and whether it will land you a job -- I say this because those are the three schools that could provide a legitimate boost to employment or LS app in the states. I wouldn't go to UCL or Edinburgh or something else with the same aspirations.

Don't go into $150,000 of debt and expect the WUStL degree to pull you out of it (great school, not that great IMO).

Informative
Posts: 429
Joined: Mon Apr 05, 2010 6:10 pm

Re: Should I accept the offer?

Postby Informative » Tue Aug 20, 2013 10:53 am

Let me get this straight: You don't want to practice in MO. You want to work in DC or NY or possibly Chicago. And yet you are considering a school that doesn't place well in biglaw generally, and when it does, it doesn't place well in any of the markets you are considering?

Very confused as to why you aren't looking at schools in the northeast or Chicago.

BC/BU/Fordham are your 15-25 schools that place well in NYC.
GW is your 15-25 school that places well in D.C.
ND is your 15-25 school that places well in Chicago.

The only market you are "possibly" considering that WUSTL places mediocre in is Chicago, and you are going to have to do extremely well to get Chicago biglaw from WUSTL. You should be considering the schools above based on your market preference.

User avatar
jingosaur
Posts: 2214
Joined: Fri Jan 04, 2013 10:33 am

Re: Should I accept the offer?

Postby jingosaur » Tue Aug 20, 2013 11:20 am

It sounds like you want to go to the UK. WUSTL is a good school, but not for what you would want to use a law degree for since the odds at NY/DC/Chi Biglaw are fairly low.

User avatar
unc0mm0n1
Posts: 1714
Joined: Sat Dec 25, 2010 1:06 pm

Re: Should I accept the offer?

Postby unc0mm0n1 » Tue Aug 20, 2013 11:34 am

Informative wrote:Let me get this straight: You don't want to practice in MO. You want to work in DC or NY or possibly Chicago. And yet you are considering a school that doesn't place well in biglaw generally, and when it does, it doesn't place well in any of the markets you are considering?

Very confused as to why you aren't looking at schools in the northeast or Chicago.

BC/BU/Fordham are your 15-25 schools that place well in NYC.
GW is your 15-25 school that places well in D.C.
ND is your 15-25 school that places well in Chicago.

The only market you are "possibly" considering that WUSTL places mediocre in is Chicago, and you are going to have to do extremely well to get Chicago biglaw from WUSTL. You should be considering the schools above based on your market preference.


I think it has a lot to do with the 100K scholly. I'm assuming if he had a 100K to go to BU or GW he'd be there.

User avatar
TatteredDignity
Posts: 1520
Joined: Fri Jul 04, 2008 2:06 am

Re: Should I accept the offer?

Postby TatteredDignity » Tue Aug 20, 2013 12:01 pm

Chicago biglaw is imploding right now. DC is one of the most competitive markets to get from any school. And WUSTL consistently sends a lot of people to the full range of vault NY firms.

/WUSTL pseudo defense.

User avatar
hephaestus
Posts: 2385
Joined: Mon Jan 07, 2013 4:21 pm

Re: Should I accept the offer?

Postby hephaestus » Tue Aug 20, 2013 12:02 pm

rinkrat19 wrote:You should decide whether you actually want to be a lawyer. If the answer is yes, then you should retake the LSAT so you're not blatantly wasting that GPA.

This. If you want to go to law school, retake and go to a T14 that can get you to NY. But I'd take option 2.

oneifbyland
Posts: 2
Joined: Mon Aug 19, 2013 11:33 pm

Re: Should I accept the offer?

Postby oneifbyland » Tue Aug 20, 2013 1:07 pm

Thanks for the feedback, I think I'm going to decline the offer then. I also under performed on the LSAT because I was Pting at 166 or so.

Thanks again

BigZuck
Posts: 10871
Joined: Tue Sep 04, 2012 9:53 am

Re: Should I accept the offer?

Postby BigZuck » Wed Aug 21, 2013 12:48 am

TatteredDignity wrote:WUSTL consistently sends a lot of people to the full range of vault NY firms.

wat

Also: *needs source*




Return to “Choosing a Law School”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 6 guests