One week left to decide, Please advise! Tier 1 vs Tier 2

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
hephaestus

Re: One week left to decide, Please advise! Tier 1 vs Tier 2

Postby hephaestus » Tue Aug 20, 2013 3:59 pm

blsingindisguise wrote:Rutgers or don't go. Retaking has a limited upside for you at this point -- a bump even to the mid-170s gives you only an outside shot at T-14.

I think retaking has significant upside. We are talking big money from WUSTL/UMN or T14 at sticker.

Icculus

Postby Icculus » Tue Aug 20, 2013 3:59 pm

Tiago Splitter wrote:
twentypercentmore wrote:
170 would give him a solid crack at Northwestern and GTown.

A 172+ would probably get OP into a T14 esp. if he had w/e.

Seriously? I know sometimes 2.9's sneak through, but a 2.7 seems awfully low.

A famous TLS mod rocked a 2.54/173 to acceptance when there were twice as many applicants.

NU has plenty of 2.7s, probably even lower.

hoos89

Postby hoos89 » Tue Aug 20, 2013 4:52 pm

/
Last edited by hoos89 on Fri Jul 04, 2014 1:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

shaynislegend

Postby shaynislegend » Tue Aug 20, 2013 8:30 pm

Here is a different outlook that may provide you with a few more options.

The first thing I would do is find out what deferment options Rutgers and Houston offer. What I have seen tells me that they would want some kind of commitment from you (that you won't go to another school) but I don't know how serious schools are about this... so check. I don't think a retake will get you you to notable schools in CAL or T14 schools, but I do think that it will give you more options for regional schools in the T30 (and of course there is an outside shot at T14). Many of those T30 schools seem to be putting a premium on high-end LSAT scores, and with applications down you will probably be in an even better position next year without much of a jump.

It seems like this Houston offer is just a reason not to go to Rutgers. My advise would be to talk to schools about deferment, spend some time studying for October/December LSAT, get your relationship in order, research and visit some T30 schools who are friendly to your numbers. Just don't move across the country because you don't like Rutgers that much.

un bon avocat

Postby un bon avocat » Wed Aug 21, 2013 7:16 am

Edit
Last edited by un bon avocat on Wed Sep 11, 2013 5:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

Yukos

Postby Yukos » Thu Aug 22, 2013 4:31 am

I've never seen a deferment that doesn't bind you to attending that law school (or no law school at all) the next year. If you want to reapply, don't defer, just withdraw and reapply to the same school next year. Unless you send them the exact same application (and even then...) it's doubtful they'll hold it against you.

tofuspeedstar

Postby tofuspeedstar » Thu Sep 05, 2013 3:13 am

Coming from someone who went to UH for UG and has seen friends go to UHLC and upon their advice given to me when my time came to apply.

Don't go to UH unless you have ties here in Houston. The name doesn't travel much outside of Texas.

indo

Postby indo » Thu Sep 05, 2013 5:06 am

Void wrote:
un bon avocat wrote:Yes, I am definitely hesitant about Rutgers.

I agree that you shouldn't go to Rutgers unless you want to practice in NJ for the first few years of your career. If you are hesitant because you don't want to be in NJ, then you probably should retake.

If you want NorCal you're in a tough spot because Stanford and Boalt dominate out there and the brutal truth is you won't get into either of them with your GPA. But you could retake and get 170+ and try for a full ride at one of the lower ranked Bay Area schools like Davis or Hastings.

Davis and Hasting will NOT give full ride scholarship with that GPA.

utlaw2007

Postby utlaw2007 » Thu Sep 05, 2013 3:30 pm

tofuspeedstar wrote:Coming from someone who went to UH for UG and has seen friends go to UHLC and upon their advice given to me when my time came to apply.

Don't go to UH unless you have ties here in Houston. The name doesn't travel much outside of Texas.

I could be wrong, but it seems that name doesn't travel much outside of Houston.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”