Success Coming out of a TTT/TTTT

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
t-14orbust

Re: Success Coming out of a TTT/TTTT

Postby t-14orbust » Wed Aug 14, 2013 11:38 pm

Rwong wrote:
malleus discentium wrote:
Rwong wrote:69 percent; 17 percent in J.D-advantage jobs.

There are only nineteen schools with an employment score that high and none can be described as any number of T's: http://www.lstscorereports.com/?r=other.

Employment score and the percentage of people employed are two different things. I am not looking at the wrong number. :)

I said 86 percent were employed; not that that employment score was 86. Again, they are two different things.

Wat

timmyd

Postby timmyd » Wed Aug 14, 2013 11:40 pm

Wow....those are pretty good stats for a TTT. It made me feel kind of bad for leaving mine until I went and looked at my old TTT of which only 50% of the class has a job requiring bar passage...Also, kind of surprising to see some of those schools high on the list. LSU is doing a very good job of getting their grads employed. Almost as good as UT according to LST.

Rwong

Postby Rwong » Wed Aug 14, 2013 11:42 pm

t-14orbust wrote:
Rwong wrote:

There are only nineteen schools with an employment score that high and none can be described as any number of T's: http://www.lstscorereports.com/?r=other.

Employment score and the percentage of people employed are two different things. I am not looking at the wrong number. :)

I said 86 percent were employed; not that that employment score was 86. Again, they are two different things.

Wat

Example: University of Chicago has an employment score of 94, but 96 percent of the graduating class is employed in a J.D.-required job.

MistakenGenius

Post removed.

Postby MistakenGenius » Wed Aug 14, 2013 11:45 pm

Post removed.
Last edited by MistakenGenius on Sun Dec 13, 2015 9:47 am, edited 4 times in total.

t-14orbust

Postby t-14orbust » Wed Aug 14, 2013 11:46 pm

Rwong wrote:
Example: University of Chicago has an employment score of 94, but 96 percent of the graduating class is employed in a J.D.-required job.

my bad

Rwong

Postby Rwong » Wed Aug 14, 2013 11:47 pm

MistakenGenius wrote:
Rwong wrote:

It seems to me from looking at LST that you appear to be a Gamecock. If that's the case, shoot me a pm, I'm a student from Clemson interested in the school. The other possibility is that you could be from University of North Dakota. Either way, I wouldn't call it at TTT school, more of a TT if anything. But congratulations on doing so well!

I'm from neither, but best of luck finding the right fit for you!

IAFG

Postby IAFG » Wed Aug 14, 2013 11:49 pm

timmyd wrote:Wow....those are pretty good stats for a TTT. It made me feel kind of bad for leaving mine until I went and looked at my old TTT of which only 50% of the class has a job requiring bar passage...Also, kind of surprising to see some of those schools high on the list. LSU is doing a very good job of getting their grads employed. Almost as good as UT according to LST.

Going to a lower ranked school isn't necessarily a bad idea. But most of the rationalization a you hear for it are bad ("I don't want biglaw anyway" when someone doesn't have a realistic idea about what they would do with a TTT JD; "I am going to try to transfer;" "I won't have any debt so I can be flexible" with the sort of crappy scholly stips OP had).

I am glad things worked out well for OP. I am glad if it's true that things worked out well for his classmates. In general, a TTT degree with little aid or scholly with bad stips is a terrible plan. One does imagine there's some willful blindness at play here.

Rwong

Postby Rwong » Wed Aug 14, 2013 11:54 pm

IAFG wrote:
timmyd wrote:Wow....those are pretty good stats for a TTT. It made me feel kind of bad for leaving mine until I went and looked at my old TTT of which only 50% of the class has a job requiring bar passage...Also, kind of surprising to see some of those schools high on the list. LSU is doing a very good job of getting their grads employed. Almost as good as UT according to LST.

Going to a lower ranked school isn't necessarily a bad idea. But most of the rationalization a you hear for it are bad ("I don't want biglaw anyway" when someone doesn't have a realistic idea about what they would do with a TTT JD; "I am going to try to transfer;" "I won't have any debt so I can be flexible" with the sort of crappy scholly stips OP had).

I am glad things worked out well for OP. I am glad if it's true that things worked out well for his classmates. In general, a TTT degree with little aid or scholly with bad stips is a terrible plan. One does imagine there's some willful blindness at play here.

I am not even sure I know what you are saying... what "crappy scholly stips" did I have? Not an attack. I just have no clue what you are saying...

t-14orbust

Postby t-14orbust » Wed Aug 14, 2013 11:57 pm

Rwong wrote:
IAFG wrote:

I am not even sure I know what you are saying... what "crappy scholly stips" did I have? Not an attack. I just have no clue what you are saying...

That wasn't in reference to you. It was backing up the general TTT hate prominent here at TLS

malleus discentium

Postby malleus discentium » Thu Aug 15, 2013 12:00 am

Rwong wrote:

The employment score is full time, long-term JD required jobs, which is the 94.9% number for Chicago. The 96.3% number, which I assume you got from this page, includes all jobs for which a JD is required, including those that are not full time. So while JD-required jobs that are not full time might be acceptable jobs, probably not. So the employment score is the number that matters. And only 19 schools have or beat the number you cited. And none are TTTs.

IAFG

Postby IAFG » Thu Aug 15, 2013 12:02 am

Rwong wrote:Attended on a scholarship; 75% covered. Your GPA could not drop below a 2.75 or you lost your scholarship. We had a C+ curve our first year. No idea how many people were on a scholarship, but I knew a few.

This. Needing to be well above median to keep your scholly is the epitome of shitty scholly stips.

Rwong

Postby Rwong » Thu Aug 15, 2013 12:03 am

t-14orbust wrote:
Rwong wrote:
IAFG wrote:

That wasn't in reference to you. It was backing up the general TTT hate prominent here at TLS

Oh. I was confused for a minute.

I will say, tho, that if you want to do the whole big law thing, a TTTT/TTT is a pretty dumb decision. The percentage of people graduating with a big law job is very very very low. I do know someone who graduated with an offer at Akerman; someone who graduated with an offer at Holland and Knight, and someone who after clerking for a state-level judge for a year went to work for Greenberg Traurig. Other than that, everyone I know is at small; mid-sized local firms.

Rwong

Postby Rwong » Thu Aug 15, 2013 12:07 am

IAFG wrote:
Rwong wrote:Attended on a scholarship; 75% covered. Your GPA could not drop below a 2.75 or you lost your scholarship. We had a C+ curve our first year. No idea how many people were on a scholarship, but I knew a few.

This. Needing to be well above median to keep your scholly is the epitome of shitty scholly stips.

Ok. I just did not know what you were referring to. There are always some risks. For me, it was preferable risking the scholarship and end up still paying less than 20k/year for tuition, than going to my other choices, pay double that and then have to take a big-law job to support myself, which I did not want to do. Also, I was married to a non-lawyer, and went to school when the market crashed. I was more limited in my options by my own circumstances, so the risk of losing a scholarship was worth it for me.

Also, the curve has now changed to a B-, I think (not that it is a lot better, just saying...)

Rwong

Postby Rwong » Thu Aug 15, 2013 12:08 am

Rwong wrote:

The employment score is full time, long-term JD required jobs, which is the 94.9% number for Chicago. The 96.3% number, which I assume you got from this page, includes all jobs for which a JD is required, including those that are not full time. So while JD-required jobs that are not full time might be acceptable jobs, probably not. So the employment score is the number that matters. And only 19 schools have or beat the number you cited. And none are TTTs.

Ok. Then the number is less than 69. It is still close to 60, though.

A. Nony Mouse

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Thu Aug 15, 2013 12:10 am

Rwong wrote:

Well, there's this, which fits the numbers, is TTT (and the firms etc. OP is mentioning suggest Florida): http://www.lstscorereports.com/?school=fiu&show=chars (I think the OP Is looking at all jobs for which a JD is required, and not the employment score - i.e. not subtracting the underemployment score. If you've never looked at LST before it's not an unusual mistake.)

jkay

Postby jkay » Thu Aug 15, 2013 12:14 am

Magna, ed board of LR, and 8 classes booked?

Thanks for your input.

IAFG

Postby IAFG » Thu Aug 15, 2013 12:17 am

jkay wrote:Magna, ed board of LR, and 8 classes booked?

Thanks for your input.

This week my husband and I missed a flight due to poor planning and assorted dumbfuckery on our own parts. The airline got us on a nearly full flight that got us to our connection on time and thus to our destination as planned. We learned absolutely no lessons and suffered no consequences for our bad judgment.

But I didn't start a thread offering advice on travel planning.

Rwong

Postby Rwong » Thu Aug 15, 2013 12:19 am

IAFG wrote:
jkay wrote:Magna, ed board of LR, and 8 classes booked?

Thanks for your input.

This week my husband and I missed a flight due to poor planning and assorted dumbfuckery on our own parts. The airline got us on a nearly full flight that got us to our connection on time and thus to our destination as planned. We learned absolutely no lessons and suffered no consequences for our bad judgment.

But I didn't start a thread offering advice on travel planning.

Well, now that is just silly, isn't it? Have a good night sweetheart.

timbs4339

Postby timbs4339 » Thu Aug 15, 2013 12:25 am

It's been awhile since we had one of these.

malleus discentium

Postby malleus discentium » Thu Aug 15, 2013 12:28 am

So you wrapped up undergrad at 20, were No. 5 in your class, served on the executive board of a LR, had WE, did a federal clerkship and worked your ass off the whole time. Seems to me like you're a special snowflake. Most people acknowledge that some special snowflakes at TTTs can do well. But treating the whole as if it has the characteristics of one part that is unlikely to be representative is 135.

Rwong

Postby Rwong » Thu Aug 15, 2013 12:33 am

malleus discentium wrote:So you wrapped up undergrad at 20, were No. 5 in your class, served on the executive board of a LR, had WE, did a federal clerkship and worked your ass off the whole time. Seems to me like you're a special snowflake. Most people acknowledge that some special snowflakes at TTTs can do well. But treating the whole as if it has the characteristics of one part that is unlikely to be representative is 135.

Did I say TTT is for everyone? I said it was the right choice for me and it can be for others. You (as do many others) obviously have your mind set, so there is nothing for me to say. I am out though, as I have a real job to get to tomorrow, while y'all stay here finding justifications for your own choices and putting others down for their own. Have a good night.

jselson

Postby jselson » Thu Aug 15, 2013 12:52 am

70k govt gig ITE sounds sweet, dude. How'd you get it? How competitive was it?

IAFG

Postby IAFG » Thu Aug 15, 2013 12:53 am

Rwong wrote:
malleus discentium wrote:So you wrapped up undergrad at 20, were No. 5 in your class, served on the executive board of a LR, had WE, did a federal clerkship and worked your ass off the whole time. Seems to me like you're a special snowflake. Most people acknowledge that some special snowflakes at TTTs can do well. But treating the whole as if it has the characteristics of one part that is unlikely to be representative is 135.

Did I say TTT is for everyone? I said it was the right choice for me and it can be for others. You (as do many others) obviously have your mind set, so there is nothing for me to say. I am out though, as I have a real job to get to tomorrow, while y'all stay here finding justifications for your own choices and putting others down for their own. Have a good night.

I agree, it can be right for some people. But the number of people who think it's right for them when they decide >>>>>> the number of people it actually works out for. Discouraging people from attending TTTs will almost always be doing that person a favor.

jselson

Postby jselson » Thu Aug 15, 2013 12:54 am

IAFG wrote:
Rwong wrote:

I agree, it can be right for some people. But the number of people who think it's right for them when they decide >>>>>> the number of people it actually works out for. Discouraging people from attending TTTs will almost always be doing that person a favor.

Post hoc ergo propter hoc is a, well, you know.

malleus discentium

Postby malleus discentium » Thu Aug 15, 2013 1:02 am

Rwong wrote:

I don't mean to be catty. Everyone here is genuinely happy that what was objectively a poor decision turned out spectacularly well for you. I'm just wondering what, exactly, we're supposed to get out of this. Like I said, some stellar students can do well with a TTT JD. This thread reaffirms that knowledge. But there's no way you knew, or anyone else can know, who will be that person before going in. It's a colossal gamble to take for three years and Ks of debt and not one that people should be more inclined to take having read this thread.
Last edited by malleus discentium on Thu Aug 15, 2013 1:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”